More Revolution Details emerge

Meshugger

Source: http://revolution.ign.com/articles/673/673799p1.html

December 6, 2005 - Just yesterday IGN Revolution launched with technical details on Nintendo's next-generation console, codenamed Revolution. And today more development sources have come forward with both clarification and even more tech specs. The latest news begins to paint a clearer picture of Nintendo's aim with its next platform.

We cannot stress this enough: Revolution is not being positioned as a competitor to either Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. Nintendo has instead chosen to design a console that will be very affordable for consumers. For that very reason, say developers in the know, the Big N has opted out of filling the system with a massive supply of expensive RAM.

In yesterday's article, we wrote that Revolution would include 128MBs of RAM, or possibly less. Developers have clarified the makeup based on officially released Nintendo documentation. Revolution will build on GameCube's configuration of 24MBs 1T-SRAM and 16MBs D-RAM (40MBs) by adding an addition 64MBs of 1T-SRAM. The result is a supply of memory in Revolution that totals 104MBs. That number does not consider either the 512MBs of allegedly accessible (but hardly ideal) Flash RAM or the Hollywood GPU's on-board memory, said to be 3MBs by sources.

Revolution's Broadway CPU, developed by IBM, is an extension of the Gekko CPU in GameCube, according to official Nintendo documentation passed to us by software houses. The Hollywood GPU, meanwhile, is believed to be an extension of the Flipper GPU in GameCube. Since developers have not gone hands-on with the GPU, they can only go on Nintendo documentation, which is limited.

Exact clock rates were not disclosed, but one development source we spoke to had this to say of the Revolution CPU and GPU: "Basically, take a GameCube, double the clock rate of the CPU and GPU and you're done."

We presented that description to another informed studio, which clarified that the clock rates may even fall short of doubling those on GameCube.

"The CPU is the same as Gekko with one and a half to two times the performance and improved caching," said a source. "Our guys experimented with it and think they'll be able to get about twice the performance as GameCube."

"It's a gamble for the Big N," said another source. "It's not about horsepower for them -- it's about innovation and gameplay."

We've also been able to unearth firm details on the storage capacity for Revolution discs. Recent rumors suggesting that the discs can hold 12GBs of data are false. In fact, Revolution discs can store 4.7GBs of data on a single layer or 8.5GBs when double-layered on a single-side. This is a massive jump from the 1.5GB capacity of GameCube discs and more than enough storage capacity for any non-high-definition game.

Readers discouraged by Revolution's seeming lack of horsepower when compared to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 should remember that Nintendo is not interested in competing in the high-definition gaming arena, and as a standard-definition console, Revolution is more than capable. Capcom's Resident Evil 4 remains one of the most gorgeous games this generation and it ran on GameCube, a console at least half as powerful according to developer reports.

Software houses we spoke with also waxed on the immediate advantage to Nintendo's approach with Revolution, which is, of course, system price. Every developer was in agreement that Revolution should launch with a price tag of $149 or lower. Some speculated that based on the tech, a $99 price point would not be out of the question.

Stay tuned for more as it develops.

Gamecube specs:

IBM Gekko CPU: 485 MHz

ATI Flipper: 162 MHz

Basically, games will look x2 than these cube games:

535840_20041025_screen002.jpg

535840_20041008_screen001.jpg

920769_20050816_screen002.jpg

920769_20050816_screen003.jpg

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I don't really care specs. if revo's games will be ok, then i will buy it. But, i don't wanna play Mario RPG, Mario Soccer, Mario Karts and all those Pokemon things.

I hope, Nintendo supports 3rd party developers much more.

centinexx.png

I don't really care specs. if revo's games will be ok, then i will buy it. But, i don't wanna play Mario RPG, Mario Soccer, Mario Karts and all those Pokemon things.

I hope, Nintendo supports 3rd party developers much more.

I think that's where the GameCube missed out on a lot. Sony was smart, they let anyone with a computer design a game for the Ps2. Sure, they got some crappy games, but they got a lot of good ones too.

So what does that mean? It'll be a fast Petiuem 3?

Update: If it's only $100 bucks and if it comes with all of Nitendo's previous games than they're going to do quite well.

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I'm afraid that the shock value of "Just barely twice the power of the GameCube" might be too much for alot of people and they get turned off.

Hopefully, if it is a $99 price, that will equal things out.

But, assuming those things cancel each other out, I think it comes down to the games. Specifically early on.

This won't be a "comeback" system. It has to hit the ground running. When the prices start to drop on the 360 a year or two from now, if Nin doesn't have a foot hold by then, they never will

and this basically cripples cross party titles.

Edited by kumquatq3

Looks like Nintendo is finally figuring out a winning strat :thumbsup:

You sure about that?

All these new innovative ideas sure looks like more ways Nintendo is trying to alienating itself.

But, yeah, I'm hoping for the best.

IF the console is affordable (say in the 100 dollar range) and it comes with the full past game lineup... they could make a killing.

atari, for instance, has been putting out little "mini consoles" that you just hook up to your tv and play... and they seem to be selling quite well.

A console with 4 generations of games (as well as a 5th, new gen).... I can see that being a hot item actually.

Especially if it's affordable.

Looks like Nintendo is finally figuring out a winning strat :thumbsup:

You sure about that?

All these new innovative ideas sure looks like more ways Nintendo is trying to alienating itself.

But, yeah, I'm hoping for the best.

IF the console is affordable (say in the 100 dollar range) and it comes with the full past game lineup... they could make a killing.

atari, for instance, has been putting out little "mini consoles" that you just hook up to your tv and play... and they seem to be selling quite well.

A console with 4 generations of games (as well as a 5th, new gen).... I can see that being a hot item actually.

Especially if it's affordable.

That is true, but... this might just be me, but even though I can play PS1 games on my PS2 that isn't why I have it.

Also, the issue of how we will obtain those classic NES/SNES/N64 games still remains to be revealed... Some kind of fee for each would seem strange, since the same games have been available on the net for free for a very long time.

I was also referring to what kind of games Nintendo expected to release with it's new console. Are they making a normal controller to go along with the new one? Imagine now many genres are out of the question if that fancy new remote controller as the only option...

This is another heavy gamble. Another attempt at trying to be different from the rest... Nintendo is 0/2, let's wish them luck.

That is true, but... this might just be me, but even though I can play PS1 games on my PS2 that isn't why I have it.

Ah, but keep in mind that's a feature, not a selling point (which is what N seems to be using it as.... and for that many gen of games it's probably worth it... PS3 will have 3 gen, Rev will have 5... or more if it includes handheld games)

Also, the issue of how we will obtain those classic NES/SNES/N64 games still remains to be revealed...  Some kind of fee for each would seem strange, since the same games have been available on the net for free for a very long time.

True that. Very true.

I was also referring to what kind of games Nintendo expected to release with it's new console.  Are they making a normal controller to go along with the new one?  Imagine now many genres are out of the question if that fancy new remote controller as the only option...

This is another heavy gamble.  Another attempt at trying to be different from the rest... Nintendo is 0/2, let's wish them luck.

Oh, I agree... this is definately a make it or break it thing... and N hasn't used that good of sense in the past... so I figure they're screwed.

Especially if there's some sort of USB support... their "buy our old games" line of thought will die a very painful death by internet.

Imagine now many genres are out of the question if that fancy new remote controller as the only option...
I'm going to go with zero. Yeah, that seems about right to me.

Nintendo is 0/2, let's wish them luck.
What? Edited by Nartwak

Imagine now many genres are out of the question if that fancy new remote controller as the only option...
I'm going to go with zero. Yeah, that seems about right to me.

Nintendo is 0/2, let's wish them luck.
What?

None? Are you joking?

Even the Gamecube suffered from a lack of some genres. That's with a some what traditional controller.

Also, I ment that the last two Nintendo consoles haven't done nearly as well as expected.

Also, I ment that the last two Nintendo consoles haven't done nearly as well as expected.

But unlike the other two the GC hardware sold at profit.

Numbers wise the GC isnt far behind the Xbox.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

A couple of things. What stopped third party and cross platform was the space issue. The mini disks didnt have anywhere near the capacity of a regular old DvD.

Now without HD DvD will probably just about do it for the next gen. Thats why I'm less concerned about DvD on the rev than on the 360.

It also makes cross platforming that much easier. Just because the TV remote is central to the revolutions own games, your still going to be able to use a regular pad for third party.

But after experiencing the revolution controller, well you may not want to :-

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]