The Religion Thread

Blank

God: To be god you have to use a light touch, like a safe cracker or a pickpocket

Bender: Or like a guy who burns down a bar for the insurance money.

God: Ya, if you make it look like an electrical thing.

The whole quote. :thumbsup:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

If anyone knows how old does the bible say the Earth is ?

I don't think the Bible says precisely - there was a bishop who counted the ages of characters in the bible ('And so-and-so lived a hundred years and begat son-of-so-and-so') and totalled it at about 6000 years.

I have more respect for religions that allow non-believers to go to heaven (or at least, not to go to hell). It's hard to believe that someone could do good and help people her whole life, and yet be sent to hell because she didn't believe in the right God.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I have more respect for religions that allow non-believers to go to heaven (or at least, not to go to hell).  It's hard to believe that someone could do good and help people her whole life, and yet be sent to hell because she didn't believe in the right God.

I sometimes wonder that myself. I'm more inclined to believe Jesus meant that it was he who determined who should go to heaven or hell, not necessarily just those who believe in him. Jesus himself even said "whoever is not against us is for us" and "not everyone who comes to me saying 'Lord, Lord' will inherit the kingdom of heaven" (something like that).

I have more respect for religions that allow non-believers to go to heaven (or at least, not to go to hell).  It's hard to believe that someone could do good and help people her whole life, and yet be sent to hell because she didn't believe in the right God.

I sometimes wonder that myself. I'm more inclined to believe Jesus meant that it was he who determined who should go to heaven or hell, not necessarily just those who believe in him. Jesus himself even said "whoever is not against us is for us" and "not everyone who comes to me saying 'Lord, Lord' will inherit the kingdom of heaven" (something like that).

Mothie, unless you're using a really different Bible from the one I used to, the quote is "If you are not for the Kingdom of God you are against it." Paraphrased, because I'm not sure as to the actual wording, but that is the exact meaning. It makes a world of difference. :thumbsup:

Since Adam and Eve left the Garden of Eden, I'd guess about seven thousand years.

However, I'd say that the seven 'days' of creation (before Adam and Eve were kicked out) are not actual days, but rather symbolism to explain the beginnings of the world, and thus a much longer time period.

"Who could blame Skynet? He's such a cute, innocent, steel-bolted robot."

-Gauntlet

Since Adam and Eve left the Garden of Eden, I'd guess about seven thousand years.

However, I'd say that the seven 'days' of creation (before Adam and Eve were kicked out) are not actual days, but rather symbolism to explain the beginnings of the world, and thus a much longer time period.

What else is symbolism?

Luke 19:27 "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay before me." -KJV

Judgement day, my friend. >_< But as I said, "whoever is not against us is for us." If you're against Christianity, then you might have something to be worried about. :p Also, read Mathew 25:31-46. The passage focuses on deeds, not belief.

Mothie, unless you're using a really different Bible from the one I used to, the quote is "If you are not for the Kingdom of God you are against it." Paraphrased, because I'm not sure as to the actual wording, but that is the exact meaning. It makes a world of difference.

No, it definitely said what I wrote it as. Perhaps I should check the original Greek just to be sure. :blink:

Edited by Mothman

Luke 19:27 "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay before me." -KJV

>_< Baley you never cease to make me laugh. We talked about this verse in a thread long ago, and i am sure you read it, which is why i laugh. here is what i said about it in the response to the quote fourth down:

here

Judgement day, my friend. >_< But as I said, "whoever is not against us is for us." If you're against Christianity, then you might have something to be worried about. :p Also, read Mathew 25:31-46. The passage focuses on deeds, not belief.

Mothie, unless you're using a really different Bible from the one I used to, the quote is "If you are not for the Kingdom of God you are against it." Paraphrased, because I'm not sure as to the actual wording, but that is the exact meaning. It makes a world of difference.

No, it definitely said what I wrote it as. Perhaps I should check the original Greek just to be sure. :p

Source?

EDIT: Nevermind, we're both right. Click. I guess God made a typo. :blink:

Edited by Child of Flame

What else is symbolism?

This is one of the places where a fundamentalist Christian and a Christian that is not fundamentalist would disagree. It just seems like, when you read the passage, that it isn't talking about long periods of time, rather, a day as we know it (the original text's word for "day" is the equivalent of a morning to night cycle.

If I had to choose a religion, it would probably be Bahai, a very tolerant faith. Caodai is interesting too, but the big eye is too scary. There are lots of little religions and belief systems in the world that most people never encounter. Maybe that's for the best, though.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

A lot of religions are based on the assumption that they're the right ones.  Why would you follow a religion if you didn't believe it was right? 

Others don't even care if their religion is the 'right one'. They simply follow the belief system that suits them best. Polytheists and Pantheists tend to view Diety this way. The right god for you may not be the one I'm looking for. A Diety may be recognised by a person but not followed.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

So, lets say your life is full og good works and good deeds, so much so that you are practically seen as a saint but you are against Christianity and the tenets it teaches.  So, all that goodness and such is wasted then?

:thumbsup:

Goodness is its own reward i believe. Whoever needs a god to be good, please stay on God.

I am not against either, i just choose not to believe.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

So, lets say your life is full og good works and good deeds, so much so that you are practically seen as a saint but you are against Christianity and the tenets it teaches.  So, all that goodness and such is wasted then?

I side with Mothie on this one. Jesus will be the judge of that.

As for my opinion, works can't save you. good deeds are works. that won't save you. is it a waste? well, if you were doing those works to get to heaven, then yes, because that won't work for you. but Christians are still commanded to do the good works, because that is why they were created, it glorifies God:

Ephesians 2:8-10

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

A lot of religions are based on the assumption that they're the right ones.  Why would you follow a religion if you didn't believe it was right? 

If you want to ignore reality! that's why, of course.

Others don't even care if their religion is the 'right one'. They simply follow the belief system that suits them best. Polytheists and Pantheists tend to view Diety this way. The right god for you may not be the one I'm looking for. A Diety may be recognised by a person but not followed.

:o Why would they not care if it is right!? that is very disturbing. I know many people would agree with me that extremist terrorists are a result of that, among some other reasons. I don't understand why one wouldn't want the truth. this boggles my mind.

"They simply follow the belief system that suits them best"

:- humans are lazy creatures...

example:

i will make a religion that is best for me. okay, let's see, we have that jesus from christianity, he's a nice character, i'll take some of that. and then in other religions they don't meet all the time every week, so i will take that. i dont want to meet every stinking week! i am a busy person you know. there are things that are very important to me. i don't care if the things i do aren't important to anybody's "true God", that doesn't bother me. and whatever i do will be considered good deeds in my religion, and it'll also be my "manifest destiny" too. and screw other people, this is about me and only me. next there is buddhism, and i like that reincarnation idea, so i will take that one, but i will definitely be a super rich person in my next life, because that is just what i will put in my religion. and those buddha statues look cool, like, i can't stop looking at them and talking about them because they are so cool, better than any other statues for sure. i will call mine "Jay Lent" because i like that one funny guy on tv at night (jay leno) and i also want it to be a catholic sacrament as well (lent). wow, my religion is shaping up to be very convenient for me. hmm, what else. oh, islam, if i ever kill somebody on accident or on purpose, they will be considered infidels in my religion, and i will have lots of virgins when i go to heaven, and i'll go there when i die, but that is after i am reincarnated as a rich man...*stares at Jay Lent statue* wow that statue is so cool. it is made of jade you know. alright, i will also be a god, like in mormonism i think. i will get my own planet and stuff. i'll make it so my religion can be the same as anybody else's at any time, so if they ever ask about it, i will just say we believe the same thing. it changes as i go about my day. And i almost forgot! Jedi are so cool. i will be one with the force when i die for a while because i get to be a blue ghost and i can walk through all sorts of walls and statues, like Jay Lent *fawns at Jay Lent*. and when i am rich in my next life i will get a lightsaber, single bladed, no, double, yeah, double bladed with a blue crystal. i will think of more stuff later, but for now, this religion is the best for me.

Edited by Blank

first off Mormonism doesnt teach that you will get your planet.

not according to my psuedonymous idiot character, he can believe whatever he wants. he even says so (it's part of his religion). the truth can die for all he cares.

also long you dont believe it. then I am fine.

There are a lot of very stupid misconpections(MSP)  about Mormonism.

yeah, i intentionally got a lot of stuff about all the religions wrong when i wrote the last part. it was just to get people thinking about how there are people who do things like that: make their own religion that is totally without truth and not even caring either.

edit: i certainly wasn't trying to flame or skew any other religion. like i said, it is just an example of some people's beliefs.

Edited by Blank