Obsidian Ent. - Only one game release?

Guest MacLeodCorp

Guest MacLeodCorp

Obsidian Ent. - Only one game release?

Did I miss something?

For the passed few days, I decided to look for indepth information on some game companies. All I found was one game release for Obsidian Ent.. I thought they had more than one release. Did I miss something, or is 'Knights of the Old Republic II' there only game release under Obsidian Ent.?

If this is the case, they have a long ways in proving themselves..

Edited by MacLeodCorp

Guest MacLeodCorp
Less than 1.

So it takes about two to three years to create a game? I wonder how much they get from the production? I wonder if they get paid by the hour, or if they charge an over all fee?

Edited by MacLeodCorp

Depends if you mean the company (profit), the employees (loan) or how many % of game price for every sold copy in the stores gets the dev...

:lol: So, which do you mean?

And yes, Kotor2 is the first and only game.

For other games made by (mostly the same) crew search for Black Isle...

Edited by Battlewookiee

So it takes about two to three years to create a game?

A fair estimate, yes. Some games take longer than that. Don't expect the eight wonder of the gaming world with a development cycle less than that.

I wonder how much they get from the production? I wonder if they get paid by the hour, or if they charge an over all fee?

Without knowing the specifics of the contract, there is only guesswork. Possible models are a fixed fee, split and paid for each milestone in the process (the publisher takes the risk and the profit). A fixed fee as before, but slightly less, compensated by a royalty per unit sold (the publisher takes a slightly smaller risk, but has to share some of the profit).

Other models might apply, thought I doubt Lucasarts or Obsidian is going to show the content of their contract to the forum :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sadly, they are the only studio with the talent and the will to make really great CRPGs now that Troika went tumbling down :thumbsup:

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

All hail Obsidian!  All hail Obsidian!

What is this, the Bioware forums?

I guess a lot of Obsidian's reputation is based on games the individual employees made before they joined the company, more than the company's sole release so far. But that reputation must have been good, otherwise why would they have won the job to write sequels to two very successful games?

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Guest MacLeodCorp
Depends if you mean the company (profit), the employees (loan) or how many % of game price for every sold copy in the stores gets the dev...

:p  So, which do you mean?

And yes, Kotor2 is the first and only game.

For other games made by (mostly the same) crew search for Black Isle...

All of the above. :)

First of all; the whole whip/cuffs/plugs-thing...it's a myth. You'd have to be a perv to enjoy it. Seriously, liking leather is a whole different thing to actually enjoying domination. Stating the obvious I am, but still.

Secondly, don't feed Gabs. She only answers threads with one-liners already. No need to give her any reason to post more off-topic.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

So it takes about two to three years to create a game? I wonder how much they get from the production? I wonder if they get paid by the hour, or if they charge an over all fee?

I'm no expert on the issue, but from what I understand independent developers (such as Obsidian) generally gets all their expenses taken care of from the publishers when the game is being developed. I'd guess they get this in the shape of payments after milestones have been reached as mentioned earlier.

Once a game goes to retail they get a small percentage (I've heard something like 7% of the retail price), but they only get anything once their share is higher than the amount they've already been paid during the development.

First of all; the whole whip/cuffs/plugs-thing...it's a myth. You'd have to be a perv to enjoy it. Seriously, liking leather is a whole different thing to actually enjoying domination. Stating the obvious I am, but still.

Secondly, don't feed Gabs. She only answers threads with one-liners already. No need to give her any reason to post more off-topic.

I don't know man. I kind of enjoy it when my sister's friends beat up on me.

It makes me feel wily.