Interesting article about PC v. Console

kumquatq3

That was always something that annoyed me, the fact that people in the DX universe seem to leave lockpicks and multitools eeeeeverywhere. I would have preferred one of each, and have it based on skill. Maybe have some better version hidden away to find later.

It didn't annoy me so much, but it was definitely "gamey". Spector spent years developing Deus Ex with an eye toward making it as "realistic" as possible, but as he began testing the builds of the game, he found that the feedback on some aspects of the realism was that it wasn't very fun or interesting. So, he invented the kinda mini-game of lockpicks and multitools as they ended up in the final version. If this had happened nowadays, there would have been widespread outrage of Spector "dumbing down" the lockpicks and multitools to appease neanderthal console players. But of course, back then, there was only the PC version, so I guess he must have been dumbing it down for those iditoic pC gamers. lololo :blink:>_<

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

You can also say "He wanted to dumb down DX for the *gamer* even though there was nothing wrong with DX (see the many people thinking it is the best game ever, or near there)"

He obviously thought differently. Notice he's not saying he's dumbing down the game because it's on the Xbox. :-

All your doing is looking for a scapegoat because you just cant accept the reality which is the designers just did something different.

You will find console RPGs on the PS2 which make the original DX look like simplicity itself. The idea that console gamers somehow cant cope with number crunching is ridiculous given the evidence.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Maybe I do, but if DX:IW was made for PC only I am certain that it would be a lot better.

The only good console game (Grand Theft Auto) was made popular due to PC gamers (GTA first came for us, and sold more)

Then GTA2 came. They had to "downgrade" the PSX version because it wasn't powerfull enough to run it...

And then they (Sony) just stole one of our series <_< bij making it a PS2 exclusive for 1/2 year before the PC-gamers could get it...

Another extra reason to hate consoles, they right away steal good stuff that can be made for the PC..., and don't tell me the 3D GTA's wouldn't be better if created for PC exclusively...

Maybe I do, but if DX:IW was made for PC only I am certain that it would be a lot better.

The only good console game (Grand Theft Auto) was made popular due to PC gamers (GTA first came for us, and sold more)

Then GTA2 came. They had to "downgrade" the PSX version because it wasn't powerfull enough to run it...

And then they (Sony) just stole one of our series  <_<  bij making it a PS2 exclusive for 1/2 year before the PC-gamers could get it...

Another extra reason to hate consoles, they right away steal good stuff that can be made for the PC..., and don't tell me the 3D GTA's wouldn't be better if created for PC exclusively...

But you have nothing to back that up. There is no evidence for that except for the smaller areas, which were really not that small anyway (compared to say Fable).

Can we say ancient history. GTA wasnt even in 3d.

Ah so it's envy

Depends on what PC it's created for. On a PC which cost the same as a PS2 or an Xbox , not in a million years.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

And then they (Sony) just stole one of our series  <_<  bij making it a PS2 exclusive for 1/2 year before the PC-gamers could get it...

The fact that there are so many hideous pc games made on a regular basis would seem to refute the concept that PC inherently = better in any way. :p

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The fact that there are so many hideous pc games made on a regular basis would seem to refute the concept that PC inherently = better in any way.  :p

The % of good games on PC is higher than for any console... :ph34r:

Anyways, there are alot of genres that NEVER can get on a console and work correct, like RTS, FPS or the Best Type of Adventure (point and click)...

This is a silly argument, and all who participate in it should eat shit and die.

No, no, sure I will die... just not today or in the near future anyway...

Edited by Battlewookiee

Guest MacLeodCorp
It'd basically turn them into consoles, is what it'd do.

Texas Instriments (??WHO??) -

Texas Instriments was the first to create a computer based game console. In the early, early 1980s, they ventured into making computers for the sole use of games. It has been done before, and it has failed.

Now, if someone would to make computers with game chips, which would allow them to play games and do buisness work, that would be another subject all together. Actually, they allready do. Graphic Cards... I think Nintendo is thinking too 1980s, and this will be their downfall.

When I watched E3, and their revailing of Nintendo Revolution, I knew at that point that they slammed this product together in seconds, for they knew Playstation and XBox have allready moved forward. To be truthful, I don't think the Nintendo Revolution actually exists. It was too easy for them to put a box together with lights, and try to sell something off that they really don't have. Nintendo has been on computers since the late 80s, and they could be worried about other companies trampling them. To be honest, I think Nintendo has become obsolete in their thinking.

Again, you are arguing that DX:IW was limited because it was developed multiplatform for two systems then contradicting yourself by praising Psychonauts which was developed multiplatform for three systems. You're cancelling out your own argument!

So what you're saying is that because one game worked on several platforms it somehow negates all those hundreds of crappy console ports that have appeared on the PC since the dawn of time?

Great argument!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Again, you are arguing that DX:IW was limited because it was developed multiplatform for two systems then contradicting yourself by praising Psychonauts which was developed multiplatform for three systems. You're cancelling out your own argument!

So what you're saying is that because one game worked on several platforms it somehow negates all those hundreds of crappy console ports that have appeared on the PC since the dawn of time?

No, if you were actually paying attention you would know that I have always argued that how good or bad a game is is not dependant on what system it appears on.

To summarize:

- A bad PC game doesn't prove that PC is a limited platform anymore than a good PC game is proof that the PC offers endless possibilities.

- A bad console game doesn't prove that consoles are a limited platform anymore than a good console game is proof that consoles offers endless possibilities.

- A bad multiplatform game doesn't prove that PC or consoles are limited anymore than a good multiplatform game is proof that developing a game multiplatform is the key to success.

- A bad port doesn't prove that porting a game from one system to another is a bad thing anymore than a good port proves porting a game from one system to another is a good thing.

- A student who lacks the money to buy a license or sdk for a console system doesn't prove that consoles are limited, it only proves that the developer is limited.

So until you to learn to actually make an argument, as has already been asked of you, consume feces and expire.

...until you to learn to actually make an argument, as has already been asked of you, consume feces and expire.

That's awesome. Almost signature quote-worthy. :cool:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

There's this long, difficult word called statistics. Read up about it.

I'll summarize: if you get to review 100 really awful obvious console ports (dumbed down games suited for kids or people with attention disorders or cats from hell) and among those you find one game that actually works on all platforms, you may draw the statistical conclusion that the platform indeed does affect the outcome of a game. And since the console in most cases is the lowest common denominator.. Draw your own conclusions.

There's this long, difficult word called statistics. Read up about it.

I'll summarize: if you get to review 100 really awful obvious console ports (dumbed down games suited for kids or people with attention disorders or cats from hell) and among those you find one game that actually works on all platforms, you may draw the statistical conclusion that the platform indeed does affect the outcome of a game. And since the console in most cases is the lowest common denominator.. Draw your own conclusions.

Except it's not true. If that is the case it's the developer being lazy and trying to make a fast buck.

Or the developer being inexperienced in console development and not doing things as efficiently as they otherwise might.

478327[/snapback]

mkreku: "I've totally reviewed lots of crap ports."

Wow. That's rights up there with Kaftan Barlast's "Not to mention a trillion other points."

Any punk can claim they've reviewed a crapload of pc/console/ports/multiplatform games that are good/bad/ugly. That doesn't make it true. You've offered no statistics, you just vomited up an extremely biased opinion.

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties <shudder>

proof positive that a crap game is a crap game regardless of the plaform.

You would be hard pressed to find a crap Nintendo game. You may find games that dont equate to your tastes (I loathe Mario platformers) but not games that are outright crap like the one above who's name I will not type again (cause its long).

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

Doctor Mario was kind of crap.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Any punk can claim they've reviewed a crapload of pc/console/ports/multiplatform games that are good/bad/ugly. That doesn't make it true. You've offered no statistics, you just vomited up an extremely biased opinion.

Yeah, because your posts are so shockfull of links to reliable sources... Newsflash: your posts are exactly as full of biased opinion as mine. Difference is that I actually work as a games reviewer and has been doing so for several years. I actually base my biased opinions on the experience of going through hundreds of games per year. What do you base your uneducated guesses on? You played your NES when you were 12 and didn't notice a thing? Good for you.

Unfortunately there (probably) haven't been any official studies on consoles effects on computer games as a whole.

I once believed consoles inferior to pc's, and likewise, their operators.

"The Chronicles Of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay" changed my opinion.

It was released for xbox, and I had to wait a full year for it to be ported. But the developers (Starbreeze, located in Sweden) took the time to adapt the game to pc hardware and user interface.

It made all the difference in the world.

I think that some people just take more pride in their work and make sure

it is done right. Others do not, barring deadlines or lack of capital.

That is my two-pence on this matter. Cheers. :)

Edited by zer"0"

Satarbreeze is quite an exception. Noe of their games; all of which are ports from Xbox to PC, are buggy or have issues in any way or form. Must be because they're swedish.

kirottu said:

For the record, last time someone mentioned Starbreeze here; we were the only ones to reply :)

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

The statistical evidence I obtained from www.gamerankings.com clearly shows that PCs are the inferior gaming platform. There's only one PC game in their top 10 (and it's only #7, too). This, I theorize, is due to the fact that the PC, as a gaming platform, possesses very limited capabilities in comparison to consoles. The evidence is absolute, gentlemen!

Edited by Fionavar

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!