Russia Confirms Sale of Missiles to Iran

kumquatq3

MOSCOW - Russia has struck a deal to provide Iran with Tor M-1 missiles, Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov said Monday, news agencies reported.

"A contract for the delivery of air defense Tor missiles to Iran has indeed been signed," Ivanov was quoted as saying by the Interfax news agency. "This unequivocally does not change the balance of forces in the region," Ivanov added. Tor M-1 missiles are short-range, surface-to-air missiles already used by several other armed forces, including China.

Russian media reported Friday that Russian and Iranian officials had signed contracts in November that would send up to 30 Tor-M1 missile systems to Iran over the next two years.

The reports prompted an immediate expression of concern from the U.S administration and in Israel, which considers Iran to be its biggest threat.

Israeli concerns were heightened recently after Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad urged that Israel be "wiped off the map."

Interfax said the Tor-M1 system could identify up to 48 targets and fire at two targets simultaneously at a height of up to 20,000 feet.

On Saturday, an influential Iranian official downplayed the deal, telling the official Islamic Republic News Agency that Iran has been trading arms with many countries and would continue to do so.

And the Russian Foreign Ministry, without commenting on the reported missile sale, said Saturday that all Russian weaponry supplied to Iran is purely for defensive purposes.

However, a senior Bush administration official, who declined to be named, said that any arms sale to Iran is a source of concern. The official declined to say whether Russia had advised the United States of any negotiations with Iran.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051205/ap_on_...ussia_iran_arms

So um, how are those peaceful disarmament talks going for ya guys?

Edited by kumquatq3

So when do we invade?

actually, I think the Israelis have dibs

America: They shouldn't have nukes <_<

Europe: Agreed, that would be bad :blink:

America: So lets bomb em! Fire up the j--... :cool:

Europe: NO! How well did that work last time? >_<

America: Well, the bombing went well, things blew up, but.....ok fine, what do you want to do? :">

Europe: Lets talk with them :)

America: Ta...ta...talk? :huh:

Europe: Yep, and we want you to stay out of it ^_^

America: Um, so let me get this straight. We're going to ask them to do what we want, and you think they will eventually do it. :o

Europe: Something like that, just let us handle it. We'll get back to you in awhile to let you know how things are going. :o

::2+ years later::

Europe: Hi America :)

America: Hi Europe, how did that Iran thing go, you crafty sweet talking bastards. You know, despite all those mean things I said, I really do like you. :) I mean, you have a way with.....

Europe: We let Russia sell them anti-aircraft missles :)

America: :mellow: .......what

Europe: We let Russia sell them anti-aircraft missles :unsure:

America: :blink: ...Did...I mean.......they gave up the nuke technology in exchange, right???????

Europe: Uhhhhh, not exactly, were still working on that. Trust us. o:)

America: :x

To Be Continued

Edited by kumquatq3

Oh ****!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Proper comedy there, good sir. :)

Russia is a long-standing arms dealer in this region, although they have been losing market share to the Chinese since the mid-eighties when even the Russians realised it was a litle irresponsible and started expecting some sort of restraint in retrun for weapons. The Chinese are your perfect arms dealer. They never ask any questions at all.

Sources: Janes Intelligence Review; The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

20040611_g82.jpg

Yeh, I was like "Man, I really want to get those darn Iraniaks" and Pootie

here just went "But Ill sell them nukes first, then you can bomb them cause

then theyd actually have WMD's" and then **** said it was a-ok and so we

hit it.. pretty smartly done huh?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Not really. Just fun.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Don't fool yourself into thinking you know what's going on in this world. The first duty of power is to perpetuate itself, and we don't even know who the actual powerful people are. Truman started the whole American tradition of secrecy after WWII, with Project Paperclip, in which the CIA put captured Nazi scientists to work on America's nuclear arsenal, the space program, and all this "otherworldly" technology they'd come across. (And you know what I mean.) Then they got Truman to create the super-secret Majestic 12 committee to oversee Project Paperclip, not to mention other weird stuff the government wanted hidden. They ran the whole thing, and they've been running it for years, but nobody knows who "they" are. But I'm pretty sure they're all Freemasons.

The whole Kennedy thing is so huge because it's at the center of so many other covert shadow-government operations. Kennedy himself was the smallest part of it, because it was actually a power play between Dulles' CIA, the anti-Castro military, LBJ, the Giancana Mafia, and a bunch of other dirty players. Oswald was a patsy, sure, but he put a gun on Jack. Of course, so did other test-mules from Dulles' MK-Ultra LSD-mind-control experiments. Zapruder was in on it, too: He was a KGB mole from way back. And the whole thing had ripple effects, like Jonestown, which was an assassin training camp that got found out. As for the Warren Commission, that thing was a joke

Awesome.

kirottu said:

Aside from your wild conspiracy theories.......

Back on topic:

When I heard about this thing with Russia and Iran I thought it was just another of Russia's out of date crap missles from the Soviet age being purchased by the obviously intimidated Iran....Tor - M1 didn't ring my bell, but when I saw the standard NATO designation - the SA-15 GAUNTLET....I was like WTF?! :) (w00t)

I remember the talk about the SA-12 missle system, but this is big, more then people think because when I looked up the specs of these missle systems it scared the **** out me and it should scare the USAF and the Israely airforce.

The Tor - M1 aka the SA-15 GAUNTLET : The principal advantages of Tor-M1 is its ability to simultaneously destroy two targets in any weather or at any time of day and night; the use of both the powerful and jamming-resistant radar with electronic beam control and vertically launched missiles able to maintain high speed and manoeuvrability inside an entire engagement envelope; the high degree of automation of combat operation provided by the electronic equipment suite.

Tor detects targets at a distance of 25 kilometers and kills them at a distance of 12 kilometers. In combating manned aviation, Tor is thrice and 1.5 times more efficient than foreign systems of the same class - France's Crotale and Britain's Rapier, respectively.

pictureTor.jpg

Although it is an autonomous system it can be interfaced into an integrated air defense network. SA-15b is designed to be a completely autonomous air defense system (at division level), capable of surveillance, command and control, missile launch and guidance functions from a single vehicle. The basic combat formation is the firing battery consisting of four TLARs and the Rangir battery command post. The TLAR carries eight ready missiles stored in two containers holding four missiles each

The single stage solid propellant missile has a maximum speed of 850 m/s and is fitted with a 15 kg HE-fragmentation warhead detonated by a proximity fusing system. The missile is approximately 3.5 meters long with a diameter of 0.735 meters and a launch weight 170 kilograms. The cold launch ejection system propels the missile upwards to a height of 18-20 meters, whereupon thruster jets ignite and turn the weapon to the target bearing. The main sustainer rocket motor then ignites and the missile is command guided to the intercept point where the proximity fuse is triggered.

tor-1m1s.jpg

The Tor is not amphibious although it is airportable. An NBC system is fitted as standard as is a built-in training system. The chassis of the vehicle is almost identical to that used for the 2S6 self-propelled hybrid air defense system and is based on the GM-569 tracked vehicle.

The Russian company Antei which produces anti-aircraft missile systems has developed a new efficient system Tor M1. A number of countries have precision weapons and a reliable shield is necessary against these weapons. The new Russian anti-aircraft missile system Tor is such a shield. The system consists of a special vehicle and two radars to detect targets and to accompany flying targets and missiles, a computer, and equipment for launch and navigation. The missile unit is a transportation and launch container with four missiles.

A anti-aircraft guided missile is a one-stage missile with a solid fuel engine. The system is operated by 3 or 4 people. The Tor system ensures reliable protection for government, industrial and military sites and ground troops from all types of missiles, unpiloted aircraft, aircraft bombs, aircraft and helicopters with stealth capabilities. The Tor system is the only system in the world which can detect and identify various targets. It can detect targets at a height ranging from 10 meters to 6 kilometers. The Tor system is autonomous and has short reaction time. The latest technologies of Russia's defense industry are used in it.

Although the high altitude bombers are relatively safe from this missle systems because the SA-15 is low-to-medium altitude SAM system, but other conventional aircraft would be in an serious danger in an actual war with Iran.

The US and Israel can protest all they want, but hey if I was the Iranian leader I would do the same thing considering the circumstances in the region and beyond.