Build me a computer...

Arkan

For S's and G's, what kind of rig could I get for around say, 1500 USD? And how would I go about putting it together? As in who/where do I buy what I need from?

I put this is Gaming because this must be kept in mind when determining the use of this hypothetical new PC...

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I take it your putting it together yourself?

$1500 is alot to work with, imo.

Me, I was thinking of picking up this computer (emachines have served me well in the past):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1124431830447

Double the ram and put in a 6800 GT in the PCI-E slot, I walk away for about $800

thoughts?

Edited by kumquatq3

I recommend tigerdirect It's great! They have starter kits which you can add to. There is a huge selection in everything that has to do with PC's. I just had an assignment in my computer system course where i had a $2500 budget and i was to "create" a PC. I'm now jealous of my creation. My compaq presario is a musket compared to a sniper rifle.

what's the difference between dual core and regular processors?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Dual cores allow for more processing potential...so you can run one program faster, or a couple simultaneously.

That's basically it, I think.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Dual cores allow for more processing potential...so you can run one program faster, or a couple simultaneously.

That's basically it, I think.

I figured that much, I meant what was the difference performance wise? Like is it worth the extra cost and whatnot.

BTW, i'm building rather powerful-sounding systems one tigerdirect and pricewatch (I think) in the 1200 - 1500 price range. I'll post some specks later.

Here are a couple of systems I put together... good deals? which one should I get?

Intel P4 3.4GHz (800 FSB) 1MB Cache CPU

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB DVI TV 2H AGP Video Card

Atlas Precision - 2GB Kit - PC3200 DDR

Maxtor 6Y120M0 120GB Serial ATA 7200rpm 8MB Hard Drive

48X24 CDRW / DVD Combo Drive

Sound Blaster Live 5.1

$1190

AMD Athlon 64 3500+

2GB DDR400 PC3200 Dual Channel Memory (1GBx2)

Serial ATA (SATA) Hard Drive 120GB (7200 RPM)

16X DVD+R/RW-R/RW Dual Layer Drive

52X32X52/16x CDRW/DVD Combo Drive

SoundBlaster Live 24-Bit Sound Card

ATI X700Pro 256MB Video Card w/TV PCI Express

19" Black LCD Monitor

$1447

If you go dual core just be mindful that some games will not run on them.  KotOR and KotOR 2, for example, just will not run properly with them.

Oh? How so?

If you go dual core just be mindful that some games will not run on them.  KotOR and KotOR 2, for example, just will not run properly with them.

Mine run great.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Keep in mind upgradability, this is key to me. If you can make sure that the CPU type your motherboard is using will have a future then that would be a winner.

I would buy AMD, they are wiping the floor with Intel right now.

Get a Mobo with SLI or Crossfire Compatibilty so in the future you can add another one for performance while not wasting your old one.

For a case, I chose Antec because it had room for 5 fans and a great powersupply, all at a pretty cheap price. Plus it was built like a rock

Soundcards aren't too important. You'd be fine with an onboard or el cheapo Soundblaster, do not pay more than 70 bucks if so id say.

If you are planning on buying a monitor, LCD's at DELL are CHEAP, then again CRT's are going cheap too.

Toms Hardware Store This place is great at finding the lowest prices.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Get a Mobo with SLI or Crossfire Compatibilty so in the future you can add another one for performance while not wasting your old one.

I have no idea what those things are.

SLI (NVidia) & Crossfire (ati) compatibility is when a motherboard supports 2 graphic cards. So it will have 2 PCI express X16 slots on it thus with 2 graphic cards you get a significant improvement. Not twice the speed but a good gain. :thumbsup:

Myspace Website!

My rig

SLI (NVidia) & Crossfire (ati) compatibility is when a motherboard supports 2 graphic cards. So it will have 2 PCI express X16 slots on it thus with 2 graphic cards you get a significant improvement. Not twice the speed but a good gain. :thumbsup:

That sounds a tad excessive, don't you think?

If your planning on 2 graphic cards from the beggining i would think excessive. Really im just thinking for upgradability again. This is so you can add another graphic card in the future. It would be a shame to have to throw away your old card when its time to upgrade wouldn't it? :thumbsup:

The downside to SLI is that you need the same 2 graphic cards for SLI to work.

The downside to Crossfire is that you can use 2 different graphic cards but the slow card will force the other to run at its speed.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

If your planning on 2 graphic cards from the beggining i would think excessive.  Really im just thinking for upgradability again. This is so you can add another graphic card in the future. It would be a shame to have to throw away your old card when its time to upgrade wouldn't it? :thumbsup:

The downside to SLI is that you need the same 2 graphic cards for SLI to work.

The downside to Crossfire is that you can use 2 different graphic cards but the slow card will force the other to run at its speed.

Ok, so where can I find one of these motherboards? Keep in mind that I can't put all this together myself, so I need to have a system prebuilt (no OS or that other usless crap, of course)

Arkan:Build me a computer
Build one yourself, exercise is good for ya'.

Right. Thank's for the constructive post...anyway

The PC I built for 1447 is a Systemax

Hmm...it appears it has a K8N Neo4-F motherboard...only 1 PCI Express X16.

Do you need a monitor? I noticed the two systems you listed...one had a monitor. That's an extra cost, although very doable at $1500. I wouldn't go dual processor, you're better off using the savings from that to buy a better video card. Also, get a tower with serious breathability. You want fans everywhere.