Grey Jedi

I had a discussion not long ago on another site if there can be grey jedi in the SW Universe.

Although Kreia is a grey jedi in Kotor 2, she's tend to go to the darkside, making her a dark jedi, not a grey jedi. Although Jolee was a grey jedi in kotor, he tend's to go to the lightside, making him a light jedi, not a grey jedi. That was the opinion of someone. Also other people (so non-jedi) are light or dark, so they could also be grey if jedi could...

Can we consider some Jedi grey jedi, or is every jedi a light or darkjedi? And when would a Jedi be considered a grey jedi then if there can be grey jedi?

The whole "system" is a mess.

The movies had no "sides", just folks who tried to even things out with the force, do its "will" in a sense. Sith on the other hand were folks whose use of the force was perverted. I abhor this new good and evil thingie they've going on. It's like with the druids in D&D; truly neutral, somehting only a few manage to aspring to. Suddenly everything goes ape**** with kits and new 'improved' professions and we've got eveeel shadow druids. Hellooo? Druids weren't good in the first place. Same with the Jedi; the point is not to make "good deeds" or "be a hero". On the contrary; it's to avoid making actions that lead into chaos and disorder. Be it in the galaxy or in general. Balance, you could put it that way.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I had a discussion not long ago on another site if there can be grey jedi in the SW Universe.

Although Kreia is a grey jedi in Kotor 2, she's tend to go to the darkside, making her a dark jedi, not a grey jedi. Although Jolee was a grey jedi in kotor, he tend's to go to the lightside, making him a light jedi, not a grey jedi. That was the opinion of someone. Also other people (so non-jedi) are light or dark, so they could also be grey if jedi could...

Can we consider some Jedi grey jedi, or is every jedi a light or darkjedi? And when would a Jedi be considered a grey jedi then if there can be grey jedi?

I think a good comparison would be making "Grey" as "sitting on the fence". Doing certain acts will get you on one side of that fence, be it the lightside or the darkside. As we've all seen, several Grey Jedi can be labeled as lightside Jedi (Exile, Jolee) and darkside Jedi (Kreia, Count Dooku)

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

I think the idea of Grey Jedi conflicts with what we see of the Dark Side in the movies. We never see someone who can go just a little bit into the dark side. It just doesn't work that way. Its too tempting and too powerful. If you try to use it, eventually it will consume you. This is why the Jedi are so cautious, too cautious, actually. But the point is, if you watch the movies, you get the sense that one cannot sit on the fence without either being pulled to the dark side or fleeing towards the light side.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you can consider grey like what was said before as sitting on the fence. Jolee and Kreia were considered grey because they did not pledge to the Jedi or the Sith, therefore they did not blindly follow a code that makes someone a light sider or a dark sider. However, they did have biases like you said jolee was light and kreia was dark although they were pretty balanced. Although can you honestly say kreia was dark? think about it when you end the game it was almost like you completed another training task or what about the scene at dantoonie where she almost falls over when she comes back to the jedi temple..hmmm? I think she was so dedicated to her students that she pledged fully to them not any code. Btw if you read about Vegere (spelling), kreia's character is a clone of her using the dark side in the name of the light side to do the will of the force.

that our i was fooled like anakin <_<

Um... there are no "grey Jedi". A Jedi is an adherent to the Jedi code, which neither Jolee nor Kreia were. When people stop following the Jedi code, they become fallen Jedi, darksiders, or something else. They are not "Jedi" anymore. As "Jedi" is for all intents and purposes a religion, once one stops believing in the tenets of the religion, and stops acting on those beliefs, one is no longer "Jedi".

Jolee is more like a fallen Jedi, meaning he just does things his way. Kreia is just a crazy old wench, but she never claims to be Jedi or Sith. She's just crazy. :thumbsup:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

1. The whole "system" is a mess.
  2. Hellooo?
  3. Druids weren't good in the first place.
  4. Same with the Jedi; the point is not to make "good deeds" or "be a hero". On the contrary; it's to avoid making actions that lead into chaos and disorder. Be it in the galaxy or in general. Balance, you could put it that way.

1. ...and pretty narrowminded.
  2. Hello to you too. :)
  3. Not in the extreme sense of the word, as extremes (of good or evil) are upsetting the 'balance' and if they believe that some evil will restore the balance then that seems to be they way they go, thus constantly wavering...as I understand it. Not sure that BG2 is a good example, because even though Jaheira did complain about the 'gullible' goodness she still enjoyed a good reputation and all that, iirc.
  4. I agree. First line of each code is about Peace vs. Passion i.e. Order vs. Chaos (unlimited freedom). Order isn't necessarily Good and chaos isn't necessarily evil, imo. A combination of order and chaos is the way most people are, I think.

(Signatures: disabled) 

If we added a D&D-style Lawful/Chaotic scale in addition to the Light/Dark (Good/Evil) scale seen in KOTORs, it would remove most of the confusion. Kreia would be Neutral Evil, and Jolee would be Neutral Good (in my opinion). The most morally ambiguous quest in both games (in my opinion), the Sunry trial, would be easily resolved as well: defending Sunry would shift the player towards Chaotic Good, and persuading him to confess would shift the player towards Lawful Evil.