A letter from a dungeon

Kaftan Barlast

I walked over this at Gamasutra and I thought Id share it with you, GS requires membership to read certain articles so I will post the entire article here with a link to the original.

A Letter from a Dungeon

My Dear Master,

I write to you from the thirteenth level of a dungeon. The dungeon has a name, but I will not disturb you with it, for it sounds ridiculous and made up. My companion and I have stopped to rest and heal ourselves before going on, and I felt that as you have not heard from me since I left the School, you might care to know how your pupil has fared.

If I may say so without impertinence, our adventures have had an altogether different character from what I was led to expect at school. There we were of course taught of many different heroes

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Now the question is, have things changed since then? And if they havent is it because the Developers are running out of ideas, or the pblishers and players demanding the same familiar recipe over and over again?

Nope, that sounds like your stock fantasy CRPG. Probably will be your stock fantasy CRPG into the next century, too. And that's not necessarily a criticism - can you come up with a completely different model that will please people? It's tough work. We'll see variations on a theme, sure, but the actual core of the game will remain this sort of thing, though perhaps with an eye towards these universe-saving scale of adventurers that developers seem to be on a kick about at the moment.

Hilarious read, though.

^Quite so. Thanks Kaf.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds