Another feed back post..

I liked melee combat that was good. Ranged combat sucked if you were using a machine gun. It kept pointing up in the air so you had to keep it in constant control if you were to hit anything.

That'd be recoil. :) Try semi-auto.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I liked melee combat that was good. Ranged combat sucked if you were using a machine gun. It kept pointing up in the air so you had to keep it in constant control if you were to hit anything.

That'd be recoil. >_< Try semi-auto.

Could you clear this up for me... I know weapons like firearms you have to put skill points (or what ever the system is) so that they become useful. How does it work exactly? If you have, lets say... Zero skill, aim and fire at a enemy... Will it still hit? Or does skill determine weather it hits or not? Or does skill lower recoil, make shots more powerful, etc?

Could you clear this up for me... I know weapons like firearms you have to put skill points (or what ever the system is) so that they become useful.  How does it work exactly?  If you have, lets say... Zero skill, aim and fire at a enemy...  Will it still hit?  Or does skill determine weather it hits or not?  Or does skill lower recoil, make shots more powerful, etc?

The higher the skill, the tighter the firing reticle, the quicker it focuses. Shot power, I think, depends on both your skill in firearms and the gun itself. I don't think it affects recoil, like on the machine guns, but I'm not sure.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I think it might affect recoil a little bit.

I've never been fond enough of the smaller machine guns (the Lassiter and such) to put enough skill points into ranged and find out. Only time I busted out the Lassiter was during one of the boss battles.

Really though guys, it is a frickin' one handed machine gun (like an Uzi). Just because all other games have spoiled you, with their heroes with disproportionate forearms for aiming and whatnot, guns have recoil, especially ones you hold in one hand. Just try firing in bursts instead of 'emptying a clip'. Should work out alright.

How badly optimized is the game?  I'm thinking of giving it a shot, but I atleast want acceptable frame rates.

P4 @ 3.6ghz, 1.0GB of Ram, ATI x800xl...  will I be getting decent performance?

Heh, yes. You should have zero problems running the game with that rig.

I hope your right.

My buddy has the same setup as me, except a 3.2 P4 and a 6800 GT... It's run alright for the most part, but some of the out door areas butcher his FPS (20!).

I don't understand it either... Source runs like a dream, but this doesn't.

I have an Athlon64 3500+, 1 GB of RAM, and a Radeon 9800 Pro. The only slowdowns I ever experienced were when the memory leak caught up to my memory. Quickly exit and restart the game though fixes this. Mind you, I'm not one of those people that just HAS to have 1600x1200 w 12xAF and 8xAA or anything like that.

EDIT: And yes, the Mac-10 equivalent does suck. But having skill 10 (max) with the Kill-o-matic (the Uzi) is just hilarious has you have pinpoint accuracy at full auto. Good times good times.

Edited by alanschu

How badly optimized is the game?  I'm thinking of giving it a shot, but I atleast want acceptable frame rates.

P4 @ 3.6ghz, 1.0GB of Ram, ATI x800xl...  will I be getting decent performance?

Heh, yes. You should have zero problems running the game with that rig.

I hope your right.

My buddy has the same setup as me, except a 3.2 P4 and a 6800 GT... It's run alright for the most part, but some of the out door areas butcher his FPS (20!).

I don't understand it either... Source runs like a dream, but this doesn't.

I have an Athlon64 3500+, 1 GB of RAM, and a Radeon 9800 Pro. The only slowdowns I ever experienced were when the memory leak caught up to my memory. Quickly exit and restart the game though fixes this. Mind you, I'm not one of those people that just HAS to have 1600x1200 w 12xAF and 8xAA or anything like that.

EDIT: And yes, the Mac-10 equivalent does suck. But having skill 10 (max) with the Kill-o-matic (the Uzi) is just hilarious has you have pinpoint accuracy at full auto. Good times good times.

I usually set my settings at 1280x1024, x4 AA, x8 AF and most in-game details at high... I hope I can do that on this game. :S

The only slowdowns I ever experienced were when the memory leak caught up to my memory. 

Is there any accurate way to determine this point?

With regards to combat - my first playthrough was with a nosferatu and i mainly used melee weapons this is due to the fact that max potence really buffs your strength.

My second was with a toreador and i was finding the melee combat to be difficult so tried using ranged weapons more. With max auspex and ranged skill the shots were very powerful and accurate.

So basically the type of combat depends upon the clans and their respective disciplines.

Currently playing as a crazy gangrel, quite different to my first playthrough... its surprising who i can kill.

:thumbsup:

I think it might affect recoil a little bit. 

I've never been fond enough of the smaller machine guns (the Lassiter and such) to put enough skill points into ranged and find out.  Only time I busted out the Lassiter was during one of the boss battles. 

Really though guys, it is a frickin' one handed machine gun (like an Uzi).  Just because all other games have spoiled you, with their heroes with disproportionate forearms for aiming and whatnot, guns have recoil, especially ones you hold in one hand.  Just try firing in bursts instead of 'emptying a clip'.  Should work out alright.

Your character is a freakin vampire. You know; undead monsters who'll rip ya arm out of its socket if you piss them off enough. Or bash armored glass windows open and cleave gorillas with bloody rakes! If we talk about realism, recoil shouldn't affect at all, because of superhuman physique. But it's good that it does. :cool:

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Me too, me too, you rebel. I just had to get that out of myself.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I wouldn't recommend using the fan patch if you play for the game the first time. More often than not the patch creators didn't just fix bugs but simply modded the game because they didn't like some design decisions by Troika. There is more than 1 controversial change to the game, some which will pretty much screw the game balance even more (like putting end game weapons into earlier areas, giving out additional XP etc). The game runs well with the official patch, there are only minor glitches left and I'm pretty sure you'll not even realize they are there.

Bloodlines is a great game especially for people who enjoy good writing and voice acting and are sick of Tolkien-like RPGs. It was a little bit too linear and static for my taste but nevertheless it is one of the best games I've played in recent years. Prepare for a big letdown in the last third though were Troika transformed the game almost into a full-fledged FPS.

Edited by Antagonist

I just started playing it this morning.

Running on the official v1.2 patch + the fan v1.7 patch (since every 1.9 patch I download was currupted).

It runs... all right for the most part. Running at the highest settings + x4 AA. I get solid 75 FPS in most in-doors areas. Outdoor areas really are expansive, so I guess I shouldn't complain about my FPS dropping to 20-30. Though there are some areas were my FPS drops for no reason. In any case, it's running better then I expected, just not as good as I hoped for.

I started out with the mage type vampire (forgot the name).

Voice acting is really well done and im finding the story quiet interesting right now.

Having a great time exploring the city too, lots of things to do.