The Rhomal Report - Skewed reviews?

Rhomal

But, while I agree that Arcanum was bug-heavy and quite unbalanced still even after the final patch, there are so so so many awsome things in the game that I don't even notice the bugs really.

SO while a reviewer may be doing the job by bringing up notice that a game is buggy that still doesn't mean that I won't enjoy the game.

Again, in today's gaming market, you simply assume that a game is going to be buggy upon initial release, sounless thay are system-destroying apocalyptic bugs, its not terribly useful info that a game is buggy.

Well thats true of any review. The thing is if you go ahead and ignore the review you cant then turn around and say "It's all your fault mister reviewer".

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Heres something interesting from a review by Ajay over at Eurogamer.

The recharging health system, in addition to being implemented in an attempt to streamline the game (which, to be fair, it does since you

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I get the impression that the analysis makes an assumption that a score of 50% (or at least lower) means an "average" game.

According to IGN's ratings guide, games with scores below 7 are "barely passable." Games in the 7s are good games that tend to have "obvious flaws." A high 7 means that it might have some first rate elements. 8s are scores that "[miss] the boat in just a few key areas." 9s are fantastic, must have games, with the uber-rare 10 being virtually flawless.

PC Gamer has similar ratings.

I consider games in the 70s to typically be the "average" game.

EDIT: A few things that I noticed:

More then 75% indicates to me a way above average game. A game with news ideas, a fresh approach to old ideas or just fantastic game play. A game in the top 25%, and especially top 10% (90%+ rating), should be reserved for the elite few in my opinion. And I am pretty sure I am not alone in thinking a 80%+ rating shouldn
Edited by alanschu

This is MUCH bigger than the fact that the big magazines and sites are repeating what happened in the 1980s with the big "console crash" that brought down Atari.

The list of bad omens

• The failiure of the 360 launch to sell up to its hype (and the overheating power supply causing lots of people to return their new 360)
  • That publishers focus on "branding" instead of financing good original games, leaving players with garbage like the new matrix game
  • The hysterical pricing of "next generation" console games (usually 50% more than the PC release)
  • The PS3 being delayed while Sony takes huge losses, firing over 10000 employees wordlwide.
  • The PS3 most likely being priced like a mid-spec PC
  • Nintendo giving up on the "spec race" and releasing a console mainly for low-powered cartoony blipblop games
  • The backfiring "exclusives" resulting in substantially less sales than a multi-platform game while not attracting people to buy more consoles.
  • Undererestimating the ultimate gaming device, the PC
  • More and more publishers dying out every year, making it possible for "cheap to make crap is better than expensive quality titles" behemoths like EA to completely dictate the terms for game development as game developers will have nowhere else to go.

So, there is a big chance that the "next generation" consoles will cause a meltdown rather that rejuvenate gaming. But that will actually be positive for gamers since it would force the giants(sony, ms etc.) and the publishers to rethink their strategy.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Thats only one console and lets face its not like its forerunner was that popular either.

Now if the PS3 was in the same boat there might be more reason to fret.

I dont see what the deal is about Nintendo "dropping out" is either. Aside from your obviously bias comments, graphics are not the be all and end all of games. Since the pretty much invented the gamepad as it exists today they may well be onto the next big gaming boom.

The PC is a piece of **** as a games machine. Really no other way to put it. The quality of games is disguisting which was part of what pushed people towards consoles in the first place. Stuff that works out of the box , wow thats novelty.

478327[/snapback]

Thats only one console and lets face its not like its forerunner was that popular either.

Now if the PS3 was in the same boat there might be more reason to fret.

I dont see what the deal is about Nintendo "dropping out" is either. Aside from your obviously bias comments, graphics are not the be all and end all of games. Since the pretty much invented the gamepad as it exists today they may well be onto the next big gaming boom.

The PC is a piece of **** as a games machine. Really no other way to put it. The quality of games is disguisting which was part of what pushed people towards consoles in the first place. Stuff that works out of the box , wow thats novelty.

Wow...if you think games are hard to run now on PC's...you must have missed the Dos days.

Wow...if you think games are hard to run now on PC's...you must have missed the Dos days.

No , but I cant say I remember them fondly. Of course in the DOS days there were no platforms that ran comparable games.

478327[/snapback]

No , but I cant say I remember them fondly. Of course in the DOS days there were no platforms that ran comparable games.

Depending on your prefered style of game the console is either very good or very poor. With a PC you can pretty much play any type of game.

and I dont understand what issues you have PC gaming. once w2k (and now XP) came out all the issues of win9x went away and its been a pleasurable situation since. For me at least.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

So your stance is every or most AAA titles are a 80%+ game and every indie game is bottom of the barrel by default?

Not at all. We do a lot of work with indies, which I have developed further and I regularly enjoy them over "commercial" titles. However, broad-based mainstream sites like GameSpot would give low scores to many indie titles because of the low production values - eliminating them removes some lower scores and potentially shifts their average up.

> It would also be nice to know what period you counted. :devil: 

Sorry, I dont understand what you are asking.

Your article says something like the "last couple of months" - I just wanted to clarify exactly what time period. I disagree with your method of examining the number of games with a particular score since it depends entirely on what titles were reviewed. If you happen to have reviewed a bunch of good games lately, your average score will rise, right?

Two main ones.

1. The number of games does not justify the cost of a top end machine.

2. They rarely play straight of the box, crash, have bugs which a blind monkey could spot etc.

1. Partially in agreement...but quality over quantity, Baldur's Gate being a good example. Can't play THAT on a 360.

2. All my games play "straight out of the box" I've never had a problem in that area, and bugs aren't really that apparent. A good deal of them only seem to occur at odd points in the game, or if you do something stupid the devs didn't exactly expect.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

1. Partially in agreement...but quality over quantity, Baldur's Gate being a good example. Can't play THAT on a 360.

2. All my games play "straight out of the box" I've never had a problem in that area, and bugs aren't really that apparent. A good deal of them only seem to occur at odd points in thr game, or if you do something stupid the devs didn't exactly expect.

And it's been how long since Baldurs Gate was released ? Wouldnt really want to play it on the 360 since I've already played it. Dont you find it kind of amusing that you have to dig back that far into history to come up with an example of a good game ? I do.

Lucky you. Last one I played was Bloodlines and that certainly didnt work straight out of the box. It was also a buggy mess.

478327[/snapback]

And it's been how long since Baldurs Gate was released ? Wouldnt really want to play it on the 360 since I've already played it. Dont you find it kind of amusing that you have to dig back that far into history to come up with an example of a good game ? I do.

Lucky you. Last one I played was Bloodlines and that certainly didnt work straight out of the box. It was also a buggy mess.

All right, fine, something recent then. F.E.A.R comes to mind as a great shooter with perfect atmosphere. It played right out of the box, no problem. Call of Duty 2 is also up there as an A list shooter, Indigo Prophecy is a great adventure game, Guild Wars is an MMORPG-player-who-likes-to-solo's dream, World of Warcraft is for the MMO nerd in all of us, Halo (which was a computer game prior to being brought out by M$ for it's box), Far Cry, KotOR (#1, #2 is open to debate)...Just to name a few.

Bloodlines isn't a good example, and you know it. It's an amazingly buggy title made by a development team virtually brimming with insect life...but the numerous madagascar roaches aside, it's still a damned good game. :)

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

"Heres the important bit.

The Bad: Many of the unique gameplay features of the last couple of Madden games are missing; lots of missing modes--all you get is a husk of a franchise mode and online play; some unsightly animation and graphical hang-ups that stick out all the more on a next-gen console; you can't challenge plays.

Probably enough there to justify the score , which is only going to be approximate anyway since it's one guys opinon.

Wouldnt place any faith (actually less) in the reader votes since people go around inflating and deflating the scores."

Really? They really cheated the x-box/x-box 360 fans then. I just bought Madden 2006 for the PS2 two days ago, and it has all the old features from the old version plus a bunch of new stuff.

It definitely allows one to challenge plays. In fact, I got back the ball after I had 'fumbled' the ball and challenged the call successfully.

The Franchise Mode is even deeper before with a choice of praticing key plays before each game to better prepare your team.

And, the graphics are as close to perfection as one could expect.

Weird...

Us PS2 Madden fanboys got an awesome Madden 2006. Sucks to be a x-box 360 Madden fanboy.

Hehehe.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

> Not at all. We do a lot of work with indies, which I have developed further and I regularly enjoy them over "commercial" titles. However, broad-based mainstream sites like GameSpot would give low scores to many indie titles because of the low production values - eliminating them removes some lower scores and potentially shifts their average up.

Fair point and I dont disagree. However I can only go by what they give me to work with to base the numbers on. If they choose to only review games they know will generate high scores as to not upset publishers then thats another entire can of worms.

> Your article says something like the "last couple of months" - I just wanted to clarify exactly what time period.

I list the time frame under each specific site. To sum it up here I looked at the last 8-10 weeks of reviews for each site. Which boiled down to the last 37-40 titles per site.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Bloodlines was playable for me out of the box. It had one gamestopping bug that could be circumvented fairly easily. True, I'd prefer that I didn't have to do that, but it didn't render the game unplayable for me.

Wouldnt the problem be that each site would have it's own averge score ? Therefore you would have to determine what each sites average was before you could go about determining a collective average.

Yup, that is definitely the case.

EDIT: Bloodlines was playable by me out of the box too. I did have a bizarre bug at the end where it seemed like I couldn't remove an obstacle. Though upon reload it seemed to work fine, so meh :-

Edited by alanschu

90-100% = A = Great game

80-90% = B = Good game

70-80% = C = Average game

50-60% = D = Below average, but somewhat enjoyable game

0-50% = E = Crap

Just like most schools grade. If you go by that, you'll see through the fluff of review ratings. All that aside, you should just read what they say and ignore their inane number ratings.

I played Bloodlines out of the box too...not to go too far off topic.

Again, comparing PC's to consoles is futile. The PC has too many other uses. If I hated games, I'd still need a good PC to run all my Por...err, online movies :p