Hammer & Sickle Review & Demo

kumquatq3

After reading the review, I have to say I'm not surprised. I really wanted this game to be awesome. I loved Silent Storm, but that game wasn't relying on the story and RPG aspects to make it a winner. Hammer and Sickle is, and clearly they didn't get a good writer or translation team.

Where's Mikhael Bulgakov when you need him. This is likely to be another Russian game with great potential but too many flaws.

*crosses it off his X-mas list*

The voices would bug me after a while anyway. I'd be hopping everyone would just shut up.

The problem with the demo as an RPG is it starts you in the middle of something with no context. That dosnt work in an RPG like it does in a Tactics game.

Honestly after fighting the "teleporting" policemen I'd had enough.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I know the demo won't tell me anything. I already like the combat in Silent Storm, so a demo that shows me that isn't going to wow me. If I bought this game, it would be because it's a good RPG, which I doubt a demo can really showcase. I don't usually trust Gamespy, but usually when they pan a game, it's bad. Also, if Gamespy had just said it was too short, I probably still wouldn't buy it, but they make it clear that the RPG and storyline elements are botched.

I've been playing for awhile now and I had that bug once (a british officer teleported behind me! Actually, he "jump" up a floor..... through the floor.). It's the only bug I've crossed tho

I hate stuff like that especially in a game that is supposed to be so heavily tactical.

What happened to me was the police came out and I walked past them. Somehow I ended up in the police station with only one or two of them there. When they saw me it triggered the dialogue and they all teleported back.

Happened twice so I quit.

Think I'll stick with Fire Emblem :blink:

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Not sure what you said, but they are supposed to teleport you to jail if you choose the wrong dialogue option

I was in the jail at the time. I didnt hang around when entering the screen. What it did was teleport all the police into what was at the time an empty jail so instead of "resisting" 2 police I ended up next to 5 or 6 of them.

478327[/snapback]

Not sure what you said, but they are supposed to teleport you to jail if you choose the wrong dialogue option

I was in the jail at the time. I didnt hang around when entering the screen. What it did was teleport all the police into what was at the time an empty jail so instead of "resisting" 2 police I ended up next to 5 or 6 of them.

When you fight the cops, I noticed that new troops do enter the map as reinforcements.

anyways, the demo doesn't show me anything more RPG like than SS

When you fight the cops, I noticed that new troops do enter the map as reinforcements.

anyways, the demo doesn't show me anything more RPG like than SS

So I was standing on the reinforcement point you think ?

478327[/snapback]

I just got done playing a bit of the demo, and I was pleasantly surprised. I mean, I loved the combat in Silent Storm, and this has that, plus a bit of story and skill checking thrown in. I think I might have to ignore the reviewer on this one, it looks like a gem.

Too much waiting around I quit after the second mission where the deceided to put all those allies in the prison.

Add to that not being able to save in combat on higher levels and the bugs which means a a bug or crash is going to wipe out hours of play.

Games that dont want you to "cheat" the system should learn from how Fire Emblem does it.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

I like Fire Emblem games, but SS TB combat is just a tad more complicated

I'd call it clunky rather than complicated.

Fire Emblem autosaves at the start of each battle and the outcome is already worked out so you cant reset and have a different outcome.

478327[/snapback]

The outcome is laready worked out? What does that mean? I'd like to think that if I change my tactics, I can change the outcome.

SS is serious tactical combat (I'm not saying Fire Emblem isn't, I've never played it.) Very few games require you to meticulously use your turns like SS does. And just like in life, one bad move can screw your whole mission over...or you might get lucky. I'm enjoying the prison break mission in Hammer and sickle, although I've died every time on it. Either I'm rusty, or this is some hard stuff.

Edited by Hurlshot

The outcome is laready worked out?  What does that mean?  I'd like to think that if I change my tactics, I can change the outcome.

SS is serious tactical combat (I'm not saying Fire Emblem isn't, I've never played it.)  Very few games require you to meticulously use your turns like SS does.  And just like in life, one bad move can screw your whole mission over...or you might get lucky.  I'm enjoying the prison break mission in Hammer and sickle, although I've died every time on it.  Either I'm rusty, or this is some hard stuff.

Not really, the dice are rolled in advance to a degree. So when you attack the outcome is already fixed. It means you cant switch off and then back on to change the result. You cant save mid battle although you can suspend the game at any time which is handy on a handheld. If restarted the chapter the outcome could be different. The most common place you notice is in level up. In some instances you can get nothing on level up (very rare) restart and level up again and you could get every single stat up (again very rare). That means even if you replay your characters wont be exactly the same so the tactics that worked before might not now.

Ditto in Fire Emblem even more so for two reasons. You have relatively weak characters who cant take a hit , but at the same time have to be near the front lines. And the rock paper scissors way the system works. For example charge a spearman with a sword user and you will likely lose. Since they come in combined units it's absoultely critical to pick your targets. I'd say Fire Emblem was more tactical , although less reliant on micromanagement.

Oh you mean the way the reinforcements just pop up ? I hated that I purposely had units watch the roads and they still get suprised.

Its not too tough though they come in tightly packed so grenades will take them out, then use the long range weapons on the group that comes in from the bottom. It's kind of helpful if the woman can snip the guy in the tower before everyone arrives or it can get messy.

I never went into the prison itself , the turns were taking to long with all those allies messing about. Twice though the guy you were supposed to find died in the first round which seemed kind of weird since there isnt any way that you can get to them before they break out as far as I can tell.

I'm also not sure where the roleplaying is supposed to come in since I had the correct uniform and papers but still got shot at entering the map .

478327[/snapback]

Found something interesting. If you stick the game into constant turns. You can wander around the prison.

Moshe was seen bythe commandant but I used the papers(which oddly were on the russian guy). The game appeared to lock up (after about 10 seconds I pressed esc) hey presto mission accomplished.

478327[/snapback]