Plot "floors" in KOTOR I?

Sikon

Paying homage to the old thread... I want people to collect whatever plot "floors" in KOTOR I they can find.

I'll start with the obvious ones:

1. Bastila is a Padawan whose task is to stay in the background and do Battle Meditation. How did she end up in a Jedi strike team sent to capture the Dark Lord of the Sith?

2. Calo Nord survives the destruction of Taris, even though Davik's estate was falling apart, the only ship capable of evading the blockade was gone, and he was buried under a pile of rubble.

3. It takes several weeks to retrain Revan as a Jedi. All these weeks Malak is doing nothing and then chooses to destroy the Jedi Enclave after Revan and the company left it.

4. How did Revan and Malak reach the Star Map on Tatooine for the first time if there was a krayt dragon guarding it? (Well, unsure, maybe the dragon came later.)

5. The Dark Jedi in the Temple - they sort of remind me of that one Dark Jedi on Bespin in Jedi Outcast who was sitting in a small 3*3 m room locked with a security key from outside...

6. HK-47 says he was built after the Mandalorian Wars, yet he says that one of his masters (a Mandalorian) sent him to assassinate Mandalore. Was there another Mandalore between Ultimate and Canderous?

7. None of the Sith ever recognize Bastila. Even when the heroes are running around with lightsabers, the Sith on Taris and Manaan are totally ignorant. Only on Korriban Bastila suddenly gets concerned about being recognized and stays behind.

People who should have recognized Revan include Carth, Juhani, possibly Canderous (maybe he knew, but decided not to tell Revan), and at least some of the townsfolk on Dantooine. Well, unless Revan never took off the mask during the Mandalorian Wars and during his training.

Edited by Sikon

Another plot mistake is the Endar Spire battle. It seems the Republic has send only one battleship over enemy territory.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

Well, there was clearly more than one - after all, it says "fleet" in the opening crawl. What bugs me, however, is the fact that the Sith in the room next to Carth's never made an attempt to attack him. Another one is that the Vulkars - like the Sith - didn't realize Bastila was a Jedi, despite having recovered her lightsaber and brought it to the swoop track.

What I found funny on the Endar Spire was that you start oun on the Port or left side. you work your way to the bridge, and find that Bastila is not there. So you run to the other side of the bridge, (right, or starbord) side and head back. So you fight to the escape pods and join Carth to abandon ship. He says that you are the last surviving member of the ship, and that it is the last pod. The cut scene of the pod being launched is of the portside, not the starbord side that you were on. So that is a mistake.

[/code]Hmmmm bad mistake yes...

(Marine Axiom)

Sweat Dries

Blood Clots

Bones Heal

SUCK IT UP!

5. The Dark Jedi in the Temple - they sort of remind me of that one Dark Jedi on Bespin in Jedi Outcast who was sitting in a small 3*3 m room locked with a security key from outside...

I acualy remember thinking that was really imposible!

(Marine Axiom)

Sweat Dries

Blood Clots

Bones Heal

SUCK IT UP!

Yeah, it always bothered me on Taris that Carth says "as long as we keep our heads down, we'll go unnoticed. A luxary Bastila won't have." Yet, when she joins your party, you can take her on a walk and stroll right past a company of Sith, yet they never bat an eye. I can understand the Sith on Manaan not recognizing her because many were likely just recruits or just suits at the embassy, but the guys on Taris were actually searching for her!

sig2.gif

I don't really see a problem with Bastila going unnoticed on Taris and Manaan.

It's not like everyone knows what she looks like, just because you search for someone, doesn't mean that you know anything about the person.

Regular troopers wouldn't recognize her, only the elite Sith or the "bountyhunters" Malak sends after her.

Apart from the one Sith in the basis on Manaan, there aren't any Sith on Taris+Manaan who seem to know much about Malak plans.

Korriban is something entirely different, as you have many leaders of the Sith on that planet. Uthar, for example, should be one of Malak's "inner circle" and know pretty much everything that is going on.

Carrying weapons doesn't mean anything, as everybody carries them in their hands. Engine-limitations don't have much to do with the story.

As for anyone recognizing Revan...why should they?

Neither Carth, nor Juhani or Canderous met Revan before. The people on Dantooine aren't exactly close to the Jedi, either. I don't believe they know any Jedi by name. If they remember some of them, it would likely be the masters, not a simple Jedi.

Apart from that, there is no prove that Revan didn't wear his cloak or the mask before he went to the war, so you might as well say that no one ever saw him.

Those Vulkars are pretty smart. They pick up a person who has a lightsaber on them. Hmm maybe they're a Jedi?

Your character Revan should have been recognized by people as well. Someone of their reputation should have been known. I doubt they wore a mask all of the time. When Revan was still a Jedi he wouldn't have worn it so what he looks like would have been given away.

1. Bastila is a Padawan whose task is to stay in the background and do Battle Meditation. How did she end up in a Jedi strike team sent to capture the Dark Lord of the Sith?

Hmm... maybe, since she's always expected to be in the back, helping with Battle Meditation, they thought that no one would expect her, and it would be a good surprise attack? NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION ... OR BASTILA!

2. Calo Nord survives the destruction of Taris, even though Davik's estate was falling apart, the only ship capable of evading the blockade was gone, and he was buried under a pile of rubble.

By his own smug smarmy admission, he's "hard to kill." Maybe he has some Mandalorian-style regeneration capability, or the like. I'm tempted to say that he hitched a ride out, after crawling out of the rubble, with some Sith headed back up to the main fleet, but it was implied that the bombardment would kill the Sith remaining on the planet, too. Hmm... He's a crafty bugger, that Calo. I sure enjoyed killing him.

3. It takes several weeks to retrain Revan as a Jedi. All these weeks Malak is doing nothing and then chooses to destroy the Jedi Enclave after Revan and the company left it.

Maybe Bastila covered their tracks via Battle Meditation or something, or some techie Sith miscalculated the Ebon Hawk's hyperspace destination (and was force-choked), making it take longer for them to be tracked. After all, there was some talk about the Enclave on Dantooine being either smaller or hidden or secluded, or something... maybe they just didn't know to look there at first.

4. How did Revan and Malak reach the Star Map on Tatooine for the first time if there was a krayt dragon guarding it? (Well, unsure, maybe the dragon came later.)

Yah, I was thinking it either came by later, or they Force Tricked it like in K2, or they fed it so much bantha chow that it conked out, asleep, heh.

Just goes to prove one thing: Dark Jedi are weird. "Hmm, I can commune better with the force by being locked in a tiny, tomb-like area!" Maybe it was some weirdo rite of passage, to overcome their fear of being trapped.

6. HK-47 says he was built after the Mandalorian Wars, yet he says that one of his masters (a Mandalorian) sent him to assassinate Mandalore. Was there another Mandalore between Ultimate and Canderous?

I reckon. Probably. Good point. Yah.

7. None of the Sith ever recognize Bastila. Even when the heroes are running around with lightsabers, the Sith on Taris and Manaan are totally ignorant. Only on Korriban Bastila suddenly gets concerned about being recognized and stays behind.

Like the girl or guy in the cantina in Upper Taris says, the regular Sith are just there because it's a job (with little pay). They're little better than mercenaries wearing Sith uniforms. Korriban, however, had Sith higher up in the chain of command, and presumably in the know about their specific Jedi and Republic enemies.

People who should have recognized Revan include Carth, Juhani, possibly Canderous (maybe he knew, but decided not to tell Revan), and at least some of the townsfolk on Dantooine. Well, unless Revan never took off the mask during the Mandalorian Wars and during his training.

I think that's stated somewhere... oh yah, if you find out you're Revan before going to Korriban, you can ask Yuthura if she would recognize him. She says he/she always wore the mask. Freaky Revan and his freaky mask.

Also, about the Vulkars and the lightsaber: Vulkars aren't too bright. Additionally, there were others in K1 who had lightsabers as trophies, but were not Jedi (such as the Mandalorian raider leader on Dantooine, who had a couple of lightsabers as trophies). The Vulkars probably just threw all her gear in a bag and didn't wanna mess with it much, fearing their pinhead leader would smack them around for looting her, as he would want first dibs on her items. Plus, with as vain as the Black Vulkar leader was, he probably spent the entire time grandstanding and bragging and celebrating his might about capturing some important Republic person (and beating Voga to the Republic pod with her), and didn't get around to examining her and her items more closely until later.

evil_twin.jpg

Paying homage to the old thread... I want people to collect whatever plot "floors" in KOTOR I they can find.

I'll start with the obvious ones:

1. Because she herself is a powerful Jedi and would have been useful in fighting Darth Revan.

2. Who knows, I'll give you that one.

3. He was waging his war elsewhere, of course. His striking Dantooine after Revan left is more lucky timing than anything else.

4. Who says the dragon was there? Besides, Revan was a smart and powerful Jedi. Perhaps he merely had to sneek past it.

5. That's just reused character models, not a plothole.

6. Hmm...I'll give you this one.

7. I'll give you Taris, but Manaan was a neutral world, hence it'd be safe for Bastila to walk around.

8. As said above, Revan always wore his mask.

So really, it's more like 2 or 3 plotholes. ;) K2's plotholes still vastly outnumber K1's.

Edited by Mothman

For one thing, it's spelled "Bastila".  There aren't two L's, K2 screwed up on spelling.  Secondly, this is English.  Maybe in Spanish it'd be "bast-ee-uh", but not English.  ;)

Fine.

Don't blame me when people laugh at you for saying, as examples, "gill-uh monster" or "coop dee grayce" or "chey serruh." Ever heard of Don Kwiksote?

Don Kwiksote? Pronounced Don "Kee-ho-tay"? Yup. And as a 4 year Spanish student, I think I know enough about pronouncing Spanish properly. But you see, those are all words from a different language. "Bastila" is not a Spanish name. "Bastila" is a name made in the English language by English speaking people. So naturally, it'd be pronounced in English manner. ;)

Edited by Mothman

Don Kwiksote?  Pronounced Don "Kee-ho-tay"?  Yup.  And as a 4 year Spanish student, I know enough about pronouncing Spanish properly.  But you see, those are all words from a different language.  "Bastila" is not a Spanish name.  "Bastila" is a name made in the English language by English speaking people.  So naturally, it'd be pronounced in English manner.  ;)

And that'd be fine, if she weren't obviously a latina with an attempt at a Spanish name.

Edit: By the way, I'm Eye-van. This is my friend Jew-an.

Edited by Commissar

There aren't two L's, K2 screwed up on spelling.

It's only Disciple who misspells it.

Carrying weapons doesn't mean anything, as everybody carries them in their hands. Engine-limitations don't have much to do with the story.
Carrying weapons does mean something. If you carry a lightsaber, the people on Korriban recognize you as a Jedi, otherwise they don't. Why is Bastila immune to lightsaber identification? Even if the regular Sith on Taris didn't know how important she was, they should have known that no Jedi should ever be on a Sith-occupied planet.
Just goes to prove one thing: Dark Jedi are weird. "Hmm, I can commune better with the force by being locked in a tiny, tomb-like area!" Maybe it was some weirdo rite of passage, to overcome their fear of being trapped.

Then they should have been trapped for three years there, with no supplies. Did the Force sustain them?

Now, other questions:

* Why does Canderous stay with you after landing on Dantooine? He agreed to collaborate with the party to get off Taris, but that was it.

* If the ruins on Dantooine are so close to the Enclave, why has nobody touched them before? Well, I recognize that the Jedi were probably not allowed to (why?), but others shouldn't have had any problems with at least talking to the droid.

Edited by Sikon

Bastila's name is definitely not meant to be Latin. The voice actress who plays her is American, but is faking a British accent. It's just one of those British voiced odd names that are very common in Lucas's Star Wars galaxy. The entire Death Star is full of British actors...

Speaking of pronunciation, there are a couple of times her name IS mispronounced in the two games. She's usually called "BAS-til-uh," but I can remember at least one time when Ed Asner/Vrook calls her "buh-STILL-uh," with the accent on the middle syllable rather than the first.

;)

evil_twin.jpg

Bastila's name is definitely not meant to be Latin.  The voice actress who plays her is American, but is faking a British accent.  It's just one of those British voiced odd names that are very common in Lucas's Star Wars galaxy.  The entire Death Star is full of British actors...

Speaking of pronunciation, there are a couple of times her name IS mispronounced in the two games.  She's usually called "BAS-til-uh," but I can remember at least one time when Ed Asner/Vrook calls her "buh-STILL-uh," with the accent on the middle syllable rather than the first. 

;)

Ed Asner voiced Vrook? Far out.

Now, if I could only remember who the hell Vrook is...was he only in the first game?

And argue all you like, but Bastila sounds better when pronounced correctly, rather than with the 'l' actually enunciated.