Security Contractor 'Trophy' Video in Iraq

Hildegard

A recent video has sparked concern that private security companies, which are not subject to any form of regulation either in Britain or in Iraq, could be responsible for the deaths of hundreds of innocent Iraqis.

You can find the video here

More info

I guess regural patrols do get borring so you just need to 'kill' time :rolleyes:

If its true this is just horrible. Killing for sport. What kind of psychotic sadist would do that? or just normal people, bored and armed?

but I found the first sequence quite strange, they fire several magasines against the white car but the driver just keeps on comming at them. that could have been a real attack by insurgents/terrorists/whatever that was averted.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

We aren't better than them.  Human is human.

I'd like to think I'm a bit better than these......things. <_<

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Yeah, you'd think there'd be more of a panic...or more of a reaction in general.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

Tim Spicer, eh? I remember him, and Sandline. Why are mercenaries even being employed in Iraq? Not enough regular soldiers to do the job, perhaps?

By being there, by having people like this there doing things like this, the coalition is making the situation worse, and the longer they stay, the worse it will get.

That said, I'm no expert on videos like this. I've watched the video three times and I can't see anything that suggests it's faked, or not what it appears to be. Anyone else?

Yeah, you'd think there'd be more of a panic...or more of a reaction in general.

I wondered about this. In the first sequence, you notice that the following car begins in a group of other cars which pull over and stop when the shooting starts. There's not a huge reaction from the other side of the road, but then I thought the drivers may simply have decided that stopping is the worst thing to do - better to keep driving, as their original course takes them away from the shooting.

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Well, faking it would involve the sort of compliance you're not likely to find, unless you're paying really well, and that begs the question of why you'd go to all of the trouble in the first place.

It may very well be authentic, but like I said, there's something odd about the whole thing, and I don't know what it is.

That IS the question.

- Everlast

Well, faking it would involve the sort of compliance you're not likely to find, unless you're paying really well, and that begs the question of why you'd go to all of the trouble in the first place.

It may very well be authentic, but like I said, there's something odd about the whole thing, and I don't know what it is.

I agree that something isn't right about this video. For example, the guy in the third 'shooting' just gets out of his car and stands there as though nothing, like being freeking shot at, had happened. Someone shoots at me, I'm finding cover. Secondly, the music was edited in without loss and yet, the sounds of gunfire are still in the video. The fourth car definitely showed itself being hit but that could have happened in many of our 'red-neck' communities around the USA even o:) .The second shooting at least showed people running away from the scene.

Does anyone know which side of the road the Iraqis drive on? These guys were driving on the right hand side of the road like Americans. They also were sitting on the left side of the vehicle like American cars. Brits ( and many other Euros I suspect ) drive on the opposite side ( ? ).

Where's Yrkoon when you need him? :ermm:

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

I wish you could see who was shooting, but that was messed up.

If it is real, there will be some SERIOUS news coverage of it very soon. If you don't hear anything, I would wonder about what this video is really about, despite the comments that will surely follow my post.

I'm not an expert on video (or guns) so I could be wrong here but the gun shots did sound weird and with the exception of one video it didn't look like any shots were fired cos of no sparks or holes or anything like that although I suppose that's just from watching too many movies.

Better not be real... =]

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

A lot of private concerns hire mercs precisely because _unlike our regular forces_ they err on the side of protecting themselves and their charges, rather than sticking to the rules of engagement in their efforts to avoid civilian casualties.

I haven't watched the video. I know that psychos drift into merc work. I know that not all mercs are psychos. I know that anti-western groups have staged fake propaganda photos before. I know the numbers of mercs currently being used in Iraq ensure that at least some abuses will occur. The specifics of one video are more or less irrelevant.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't know of any other European nation that drives in the wrong side of the road except for the UK of course.

As for this video, I'm pretty sure its real. But ask yourself this Kumq, just how much do you really hear about these mercs and their work in the first place? I've never heard anything except for what I could find on the net.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Eh. I really wish the stupid Elvis song hadn't been dubbed in, so I could hear what they're actually saying over the radio. That aside, the gunfire sounds to me like it's suppressed, which I suppose is possible. Furthermore, it's difficult to tell which of those cars are actually being hit - other from the one that crashes, most likely. Keep in mind that these guys have signs all over the back of their official vehicles, in both Arabic and English, warning everyone that they're security vehicles and that they're authorized to use lethal force, and consequently everyone ought to stay way the hell back. "If you can read this, you're probably being shot at," kind of thing. If anything gets too close, they light it up. That's not the case with all of the contractors over there, of course, but it is with many, simply because they're very much targets.

There's a possibility that they hit the cars that were speeding at them, getting too close, and were just firing warning shots at the others. I'm inclined to think that if they were really trying to randomly whack people, the guys running from the scene of the crash would've been pretty easy pickings - furthermore, as someone else noted, a couple of the drivers actually got out of their cars and stood there in some of the scenes.

These guys don't have enough oversight, it's true. Hell, this whole thing might not've even been illegal, so that ought to tell you just how much we need to figure out a way to set up some rules.

Warning shots? Entire clips were used here in bursts and full auto, hardly warning shots. These mercenary bastards are nuts.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

As for this video, I'm pretty sure its real. But ask yourself this Kumq, just how much do you really hear about these mercs and their work in the first place? I've never heard anything except for what I could find on the net.

I've heard, on several occasions, news stories about these contractors and their role in Iraq.

But your missing the point, if this video is valid, ITS A HUGE NEWS STORY. Easily bigger than some pictures of naked detainies.

To put it mildly, if there is something too it, some respectable news organization in the world will pick it up. Other news organizations will follow.

The only time I've seen mercs was when administrator Paul Bremer got the hell outta there, man that dude was in a hurry. :-

I know you said respectable, so we really shouldn't be looking at Al Jazeera and Fox News, but still have either of these mentioned anything?

DENMARK!

I know you said respectable, so we really shouldn't be looking at Al Jazeera and Fox News, but still have either of these mentioned anything?

Have searched either, I did do a search of CNN as soon as I saw the article (hence when I found the Canadian thing) and again a few minutes ago. Nada.

I did hear on the news this morning that there have been reports of Iraqi security forces terrorizing Sunni's. Don't think it was related, but it could be.

Yeah old habits die hard, the new Iraqi police forces are also torturing people in Basra to gain info on the British. (shouldn't they be allies, btw? lol)

The Ghost of Saddam still lingers. :ph34r:

Edited by Lucius

DENMARK!