Moving.

Child of Flame

Lately I have been thinking about maybe packing up my things and moving cross country and I was wondering if I could solicit some advice of the older and wiser members here.

How much money would I need to make the move?

How would I go about securing lodgings/work once I am there.

How do you transport all your worldly possessions cross country cheaply and effectively.

Basically I am just fed up with this small town, most if not all the of the people knowing me when they see me, how far apart things are and having to have your own car if you want to get anywhere.

I'll probably finish up at least my first two years of college before I do leave, as I'll need monies to do this, but I just want to get out.

It's a pretty interesting drive across the country, and can be done pretty cheaply, but New York is not an easy place to jump into. Actually, if you are in Northern California, I'm surprised you don't just head to San Francisco. It's definitely a city, and it's about the same cost of living.

If you are looking for a city that you can afford to move to on a tight budget, and possibly live comfortably, NY isn't the best choice. Some alternative cities are Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston.

If you are dead set on NY, which I completely understand, then you want to build a decent buffer for your savings. If you have a car that can make the drive, you can probably make the trip for $500. That includes gas, lodging, and food.

Once you arrive at your location, go to a Hostel until you find a place to rent. You can find Hostels on line easily.

http://www.hostels.com/en/us.ny.ny.html

These are cheap because you tend to share a room. You can also just search for a room for rent situation, but that's always shady because you can't really see the place beforehand.

Jobs - assume it will take 1-2 months to find a job. It may be working at Staples, but if you can't find anything by then, you aren't looking hard enough.

You can try and sell your car when you get there if you really plan on staying.

After the $500 to get there, you want at least a 3 month buffer in case something goes badly. 3 months at about $1500 a month...so you want about $5000 for the entire deal. That may seem like a lot, but it's to keep you going for awhile.

I'll chime in later...

How much money would I need to make the move?

Depends a lot on the cost of living/housing in the place you want to go, and/or what you're willing to put up with for, say, a few months to a year. For example, where I live, just to rent a small place would probably cost you around $3K-5K to move-in.

In terms of the moving costs alone - if you drive, the cost of gas and whatever shipping/moving fees you end up with. Coast to coast is approx. 3000 miles (more or less depending on locations of course) for gas mileage considerations.

How would I go about securing lodgings/work once I am there.

Some say you should have something lined up before you actually move, but I know that's not always realistic. Temp agencies while you're looking for a more permanent job would be my advice on the job front.

Housing....you might be able to call ahead to some find-a-rental company that could find you something before you leave. Of course, that be an extra cost service but it might be worth it to save you some hassle.

How do you transport all your worldly possessions cross country cheaply and effectively.

When my sister moved from CA to MA and back again, she put her stuff on planes and drove her body. She seemed happy with the results. I don't know what she did or used for the baggage-by-air route, or how much it'd cost, since it was years ago.

Another friend tried just using UPS (they didn't have a lot of stuff) but complained UPS broke most of their things - likely because they didn't self-pack the boxes very well. :)

If you're comfy driving big trucks you could try renting a big truck and towing your own car behind.

And yeah...get rid of anything you absolutely do not need, or put it in storage to wait and see if you want it/need it later, when you're more settled in.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What exactly are your worldly possessions? When I was 19, the only thing I had that was valuable was my hockey gear and my computer. I would say sell everything you can and go light. If you can fit all your stuff in a large duffel bag, go Greyhound and save money that way. Then you don't even need that license.

If we were in a game I'd suggest cajoling some huge barbarian into your character party, on promises of gold. Give him all your heaviest things. Keep the paperwork for yourself.

Failing that, my recommendation is to ditch almost everything. Every time I've moved I've thrown or given away 50% of my stuff. And have never regretted a stick of it.

Personal tip: if you ever want to dispose of anything huge and junkworthy simply place it out front of your house with a sign taped to it, saying "Only fifty bucks". It will be stolen in hours.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Greyhound...are they still around? Then yeah, I'd agree, they're always a good option if you don't have much stuff.

When I was 19, I was already in my own place with furniture, computers (what passed for them then anyway), tons of books and such, pets etc. Sometimes it's hard to decide if it's cheaper to toss it all and buy new(ish) stuff or not. :)

But beds and shelving can definitely be ignored. heh

Oh and...San Fran is definitely a good option vs. NY. Good suggestion.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Reason I was thinking NY specifically is because I know people there that I could possibly room with for a little bit while I got on my feet.

Last time I checked, a plane was a negligible amount more than Greyhound to get cross country (I think it totalled $50, and it was about six days shorter travel time).

All my worldly possessions are a computer, a couple pieces of art I would not be willing to part with, clothes, and books....lots and lots of books. Damn books. Most the rest I could part with, or actually belongs to my parents even though I'm using it.

Never part with the books, even though they are heavy.

I can't really recommend a moving technique other than bribing some mates into driving you places in a van. However if I were crossing the US I'd consider just freighting the lot to myself.

Good luck, anyhow. Keep us posted on your travels. And... I dunno. Don't take candy from strangers.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I see the counsellor this Thursday, now that I look back on that, I probably should have been more clear, but I thought most people here knew I was eighteen.

Take a year off to "find yourself" then apply to a college somwhere other than where you live. Then you can see if it's a case of the "grass is greener" or you really are ready to move on.

Me, I love the quiet life. I can only take places like London and Tokyo in very short bursts.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

My buddy got into San Jose State with a 2.3 GPA...so it's not always necessary to have the grades if the school needs enrollment. But if you are going to spend those two years of JC living at your parents and not paying rent, that's a good deal.

Still, it sounds like you want to escape. If that's true, and you really want to attend college as well, take out some student loans. That way you can work a part time job to pay the bills, while the loans cover your tuition. Even at a JC, this is an option. You'd be surprised how easy student loans are to pay off. I'm a couple years into my Graduate loans, and I pay $30 a month on a $1200 loan. You could always find a JC in NY, and they will help you get loans, possibly even a job.

As for the books and artwork, ask your parents to keep them in storage. You don't want to haul those around. Many college students move at least once a year, so it's important to be light.

Big thing you need to think about is whether you want to be a full time student and a part time worker, or a part time student and a full time worker. Working full time is easier, but it will set you back for graduating.

Edit: Also, any idea what you are going to school for?

Edited by Hurlshot

Another tip for moving across country...The nice man talking to you in the truck stop bathroom is not your friend. :)

Carry the least amount of stuff as possible ( your computer obviously o:) ). Consider what can be purchased second hand there that would be cheaper than shipping. Have your parents ship the rest third class a little here and there as you can afford it. Consider replacing some of your stuff from eBay also. If you have friends where you're going, ship some of your stuff early. Carry the heavy stuff with you and ship the light stuff. It'll be cheaper that way. Throw out most of it. If you haven't reached for something in a year, you probably don't need it anyway.

Your local library ( remember those? ) probably has newspapers from the larger cities. Check the want ads and the offerings for a place to stay. That'll give you a good idea of what lodging will cost. Also check the ads for the various grocery stores. That'll tell you what to expect to pay if you want to eat regular. Contact your friends there to see how much your utilities will cost ( phone, heat/electric, internet, cable, water ). Don't forget about the deposits.

What do you intent to do for a living?

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Move to Iowa, come to Ames, overall the cost of living is pretty low, and the such. I could always use more victims. o:)

Also we have the 2 best gaming stores. Mayhem COllectibles for the PnP and Gamers for the PC/Console crowd. :)

Edited by Hades_One

Another tip for moving across country...The nice man talking to you in the truck stop bathroom is not your friend. :-

Carry the least amount of stuff as possible ( your computer obviously :)  ). Consider what can be purchased second hand there that would be cheaper than shipping. Have your parents ship the rest third class a little here and there as you can afford it. Consider replacing some of your stuff from eBay also. If you have friends where you're going, ship some of your stuff early. Carry the heavy stuff with you and ship the light stuff. It'll be cheaper that way. Throw out most of it. If you haven't reached for something in a year, you probably don't need it anyway.

Your local library ( remember those? ) probably has newspapers from the larger  cities. Check the want ads and the offerings for a place to stay. That'll give you a good idea of what lodging will cost. Also check the ads for the various grocery stores. That'll tell you what to expect to pay if you want to eat regular. Contact your friends there to see how much your utilities will cost ( phone, heat/electric, internet, cable, water ). Don't forget about the deposits.

What do you intent to do for a living?

These are all good suggestions and this is why I posted here. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing now. Up until recently I was thinking I was gonna be a minister, but not so much now. I am thinking possibly law. I like arguing well enough, and people say I'm pretty sharp (even though I basically dropped out of highschool). It is not like I am trying to escape, so much as I feel I'm in a rut and would like to get out, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Move to Iowa, come to Ames, overall the cost of living is pretty low, and the such.  I could always use more victims.  :p

Also we have the 2 best gaming stores.  Mayhem COllectibles for the PnP and Gamers for the PC/Console crowd.  :-

Ugh. If I wanted to get out of this hell hole and into another, I'd go ahead and get my MCSE, etc. and ring up Ender.

US. 

I am in Northern California now, I am thinking of maybe moving to NY or some other far off place. 

It shouldn't involve anything more complicated than getting a new Driver's License though.

Stay in California, New York is just annoying.

This is bad advice. It doesn't give any information actually of use, besides telling me you like California (so do I to be frank, but I need a change), and you don't like NY.

Up until recently I was thinking I was gonna be a minister, but not so much now.

What about being a counselor? Doesn't pay much but then neither does working for an honest ministry.

Denver's not as far and we have a good economy and job market here depending on what you decide. We also have several different colleges and universities.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

I was actually going to suggest Denver as well, but he seems to have his heart set on the Big Apple. Can't say I blame him, there's really no other place like it.

CoF, law requires a ton of schooling. High School is really a cake walk in comparison to Pre-Law. I don't doubt your intelligence, but are you willing to push through all the busy work to get it done? It's not just about shining academically either, it's about kissing the asses of important professors and making the key connections. You need to want it bad.

The counselor suggestion is a decent idea, depending on what field you want to do it in. I know a few counselors at the Middle and High School level. I think most states require a Bachelors degree and a credential to do it, but there are many other types of counselling.

Honestly, if I could be your age again, I'd dump the High School girlfriend I had and join the Peace Corp. But that's just me and my regrets :-