Xbox Live: Racist haven?

Surreptishus

Well, there's a marked difference between pixelated violence and somebody calling you rather derogatory names. . . . Different ballgame when you're the target.

Yes, and it's true that victims typically react differently from witnesses. But so, too, is Pokemon a different game from Reservoir Dogs.

Halo is rated for persons 17 & older. I, too, know 6-yr olds who've played it. (Coincidentally--or not--these kids also exhibit some of the worst impulse control I've seen in 1st graders). I also don't doubt that kids love guns (I did) and most grow up normal (whatever that means--acceptably inured to racism & violence?) But I immediately suspect parents who deliberately expose 7 yr olds to communities based on violence & manchild one-upmanship. Call me cynical, but I don't necessarily give Mr. De Leon the benefit of the doubt. I reserve that for his kid. I absolutely do not question the premise that racism can be psychologically harmful, but I think it's naive to expect a nurturing environment for grade schoolers on Halo Xbox Live. It's a prescription for problems, and Mr. De Leon should have foreseen that inevitability.

I could see someone contentedly sitting through Pulp Fiction . . . 

I'd be wary of anyone contented by that Ving Rhames rape scene. Who didn't squirm when Uma got that adrenaline shot to the heart?

Perhaps I missed that chapter from Tarantino's Guide to Child Development.