KOTOR 1 and 2 Comparison..which is better?!?!?

Do people like KOTOR 1 better then 2? i just cant see it...(all of this is in my opinion, of course, so i guess asking why people like the other one better is mute but oh well) KOTOR 2 has much more spooky thrilling story, which, in my opinion, makes it better by a bit than KOTOR 1's story. Actually here we go...what is better then what in either game

Story-KOTOR 2

Party Members-KOTOR 1

Locations-in my opinion 2, but this is very arguable..nar shaada won it for 2 tho i think

Content-KOROR 2 by a long shot

Diffuculty-KOTOR 1, it just is simply harder..specially at the end

NPC's (who you meet besides your party)-i like 1 better

Quests (by funness)-2, just cuz i loooove doing those quests against the exchange

Non confusiongness..(whether you know what to do or not)-1, i found myself not knowing what to do in the second one once or twice, the first time around)

Enemies(non-sith)-KOTOR 2, cuz well...the whole GO-TO b4 he joins ur party, all them bounty hunters, the animals, and that fun adventure against the militia on onderon.

Enemies (sith)-definatly goes to KOTOR 1, Malak and Revan..awesome...i mean revan b4 u know the big twist///also KOTOR 2 had horrible sith characters..nihilus was a effing pushover

Party memeber story-KOTOR 2 becuz of Atton and Kreia, 1 didnt get it cuz of JUhani

Misc-goes to 2 only cuz u get to control b4-d4 which was kewl

anyway, now that you survived my awesome grammer post your opinions, and agree or disagree with me...or agree to disagree :-

:EDIT: spaced it out to make i easier to read :EDIT:

Edited by droidean

Kotor 1 had better story but overall i liked number two better. there was a lot more stuff like more feats and force powers my favorite force crush. But kotor 1 did have a better story line the second had a dull story line.

........ right, a stupid copy of the original movie in a game, shallow caracter, shallow story, stupid twist, stupid villain. good story......where? kotor 2 story was way better, but incomplete. kotor 1 story was complete, but a complete junk.

Kotor 1 had better story but overall i liked number two better. there was a lot more stuff like more feats and force powers my favorite force crush. But kotor 1 did have a better story line the second had a dull story line.

I agree. Apart from the plotholes and all that, there was one thing in particular I really missed:

In K1 the Sith Training Facility on Korriban was a really nice tutorial of the Sith and there were several encounters and dialogue where it felt good to be bad. K2 is really lacking in that area and the influence system doesn't really make that any better as just about everybody, including myself, goes complete out-of-character to get all the goodies from every party member...the females in particular.

edit: fixed the right context.

Edited by Janmanden

(Signatures: disabled) 

........ right, a stupid copy of the original movie in a game, shallow caracter, shallow story, stupid twist, stupid villain. good story......where? kotor 2 story was way better, but incomplete. kotor 1 story was complete, but a complete junk.

It's a copy of the original movie how, exactly? There's really not that much that's similar, in terms of plot.

I would go with KOTOR 1, myself. I like pretty much everything about it better, especially the party members. The KOTOR 2 characters are interesting, but I never feel like I can get anywhere with them, like they just hit a certain point and nothing happens *coughBao-Durcough*. Characters like Jolee Bindo make the first KOTOR. There isn't one character in that game I don't like. I also really prefer the first game's music and the planets. KOTOR 2's music just kind of bums me out and it doesn't go with the levels very well, in my opinion, and the planets just don't stand out in my mind nearly as much. They also feel kind of incomplete next to the first game's (read: Korriban). Plus, the planets just look better in the first game. Manaan is easily my favorite planet in the first game, and it stands out to me more than anything in the second one. I will say, though, that I like certain elements of the gameplay in the second one better, like the extra feats and the prestige classes. I liked starting out in a regular class like in the first KOTOR, though. I thought it gave you a more rounded set of skills in the end.

Edited by Ranger0087

Knowledge is a terrible things sometimes, would Kotor II have been better if the cut content was finished as a complete project. Kotor I had some removed content but the ending was completed.

I think Kotor II is better in terms of game play charcters and involvement. I think having at least the ending on Malachor V finished out what have made it far better than Kotor I.

Production work is part of games and removing and placing content is very pickey. I think I will stick with Kotor II is a better game by far inspite of the content removal. Both games rate with me as 2 of my most favorite games of all time.

Seriously to think that if Kotor II had no cut content in terms of Malachor V, M4-78, the droid factory, the Atris and Kreia connection. OE was allowed to finish the project instead of being rushed out, their plans and story lines were the best of any of the Star Wars stories. I have my theories as to why this was I do not think it was deadline. I think we have half of the story of what was actually intended for KotorII.

It's a copy of the original movie how, exactly? There's really not that much that's similar, in terms of plot.

ship similar to the millenium falcon, capital ship similar to star destroyer, huge space station, to name a few

edit: vilain with a mechanical part , clearly to ressemble darth vader (and even bioware said so)

Edited by darknesslord

ship similar to the millenium falcon, capital ship similar to star destroyer, huge space station, to name a few

edit: vilain with a mechanical part , clearly to ressemble darth vader (and even bioware said so)

Those are similarities of the basic setting, not the plot and its execution, or the characters. If you're saying those things make the first game a rip-off of the movies, then KOTOR 2 is exactly the same. It still has the Ebon Hawk, we have a Sith Lord with a full face mask, so he looks even more like Vader, and the Ravager looks even closer to a Star Destroyer than the Sith ships in the first one. That's just background stuff that's reminiscent of the films; it doesn't make for a complete copy.

Story-KOTOR 2

More epic Story: K1

Party Members-KOTOR 2 (not even a contest even with the failed Gotot, disciple, and hanharr)

Locations-in my opinion 2, Nar shaddar and Dunx were awsome. (Please note, both K1 and K2 should be ashamed for small areas that needed drastic enlargeing)

Content- K2. K1 is close cause of side quests but doesnt add up over all.

Diffuculty-KOTOR 2. The Academy on Malacor and Vrook were harder then anything K1 had to offer

NPC's : Ill go with K1 because of exchange chick on Telos. Both kinda had flat NPCs though.

Quests (by funness)-Silly topic, who cares how funny quests are, what quests had more detail and content? Ill actually give K1 this one.

Non confusiongness..(whether you know what to do or not)-1, Anouther silly and meaningless topic. You do what YOUR character would do. Simple as that! If you mean more linear and laid out for you, then yes K1 wins.

Enemies(non-sith)-KOTOR 1, In K2 you are fighting sith, period (other then exchange). In K1 you fought sith, Manaan things, Mandalorians, The One, Sandpeople, and generic monsters.

Enemies (sith)-definatly goes to KOTOR 2, Keria, Sion, and Nimbus were more interesting then Darth Vader....errrr I mean Malak. K1's so called "twist" was obvious for anyone with a grade 3 reading skill or higher.

Party memeber story-KOTOR 2. K1 had nothing to compare to Visas, Handmaiden, and Mira. Bastilla was one dimensional, Jollee was good but to seperated from actual story. Carth and Misson were whiny.

Misc- K2 again because of the BONUS force powers you learn which really added to the over all game and your character. Also the influence system thats 1000000 times better then the stop and talk when ever of K1. You had to work for the back stories rather then more linear K1 style of being handed them through no effort or thought.

Edited by Kalfear

I think that K1, as it stands, has the better story. K2's would have been better, had it not being destroyed by cutting all of that stuff.

I prefered the gameplay in K2, however, except for one, really trivial, thing that annoys me: there's no 'new' filter in the inventory like there was in K1. I hate having to scroll through the whole inventory just to get the damn icon to stop flashing. Why do we need to click things to confirm that we know we got them, anyway?

Getting back to the matter at hand, for the rest of the stuff, I'm not really bothered. The quests for fine for both games, both games had bad planets. K1 had Tatooine and Dantooine with their endless expanses of nothingness, and K2 had Peragus II, which was boring after the first playthrough, and Korriban, which was just the Korriban from K1 with huge chunks cut out of it, and the vision chamber added in. On another sidenote, is it just me, or is Dantooine a glitchy mess on both games for everybody. I'll be running across it and all of a sudden I'm warped to the other side of the map. It's ****ing annoying!

Similarly, both games had bad characters (G0-T0 et al.).

I still don't think it's a good idea to make K2 a better game because of what it could've been.

Storywise I reckon K1 was way better. K2 was just too deep into Star Wars and yes, understanding wasn't helped by cut content. I guess one thing I've kinda picked up is "Force Wounds my arse" everytime Kreia or anyone else sells the point.

K2 gameplay is better because of the suggestions implemented from K1. Influence system is much needed but very poorly executed here.

K1 Overall

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

K2 had the better story, items and influence system. K1 had everything else.

:-

As much as I love the first game, K2 wins it personaly for me. I found the story of the exile alot more captivating (although Revans story was good). I loved the influence factor immensely-it made the game more involving. The only thing I missed was the bit of Jedi training you get with K1. Planet wise, Manaan was annoying (argh Selkath and Sunrys trial), whereas I really like Dxun (only wished that there had been more to the planet than was actually in the game).

And as much as Kreia was a pain in the butt, she was an excellent character overall, the only one I dislike really was GOTO...but then again, I wasn't so struck on Mission or big Z in K1, LOL

Diffuculty-KOTOR 2. The Academy on Malacor and Vrook were harder then anything K1 had to offer

I don't know so much-I thought the Star Forge was kinda hard, but that was because of the sheer amount of enemies, plus the fact that I had kept Carth in my party along with Jolee. Far better to have an all Jedi party.

:-

K1 Overall

Agreed. But I didn't need the item crafting, that included a lot that could have been bought as well or a halffinished influence system...I needed a full story wihout plotholes. Come to think of it, not K1 Overall, but K1 All if Carth had been replaced with Atton and Juhani with Visas.

(Signatures: disabled) 

I liked the story of K2, item upgrades, new items, npcs back stories were better.

K1 had better romances, Bastila :devil: , and the big surprise of the revelation which it did surprise me.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester