Overclocking My CPU

WITHTEETH

I have a 2.4C Pentium4 Which is notorious for its overclockability. I want to overclack it to 3.2. The CPU that i previously wanted was a 3.4E Prescott, but these suckers take up 104watts power outake and idle at about 50c. Not to mention the $285 price tag for this overpriced CPU.

OCing 2.4c to 3.2c ~ 2400Mhz divided by 200FSB demonstrates a multiplier of 12. So, a target of 3200Mhz dived by 12 gives a required FSB of 266Mhz to reach that speed.
This is my target. I ordered a new CPU fan and Artic Silver paste for those few extra degrees to keep it nice and cold as I pump it up.

I have not done this before so im wondering if anyone here can give me some advice.

What do i need to do to overclock this baby besides going into the CMOS and changing the FSB to 266Mhz and adding a superior Heatsink?

Random Articles at [H]ardOCP.com.

The overclockability of the 2.4c mirrors that of the other great Intel overclocker, the Celeron 300a. Given the fact that most P4s can overclock to a minimum of 3.0 GHz with the retail HSF unit and with little more than default voltage, that 12x multiplier becomes critical. When coupled with an FSB of 250 MHz, the CPU
Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

There are lots of things to know: first of all, don't overclock to 3.2GHz in one go!

Increment in steps (say 100MHz at a time) and wait to see if it's stable.

Also, RAM can be overclocked independently (if you don't have crap RAM).

I don't have much time now, but I'll post more later ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

:o I am not that brave, or atleast adventurous to do liquid nitrogen. Air will do it for me! :lol: I did build this baby by myself, mighty proud of it. I planned this PC beautifully so it would last me years! :D

The only thing i am really peeved about is that Ati and NVidia are screwing me over by switching to PCI Express X16 so fast. That baffles me because 74% of the market is still AGP. The 7Kseries by NVida and 1Kseries by Ati are not for AGP....(yet, or if ever) Humbug! :thumbsup:

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

Try a water cooling system. Or different combos of case fans, cpu fans and heatsinks. Hopefully it won't be too noisy.

I already have 5 case fans, the Powersupply equals 6 so that i do not have a vacuum inside the case. My case is already pretty cooled. My case is a beast.

PLUS1080AMG.jpg

Myspace Website!

My rig

Until I see SLI or Crossfire being system requirements I'm staying with AGP as well...next graphics is probably gonna be 6600GT . Did some overclocking in the past, but I just don't like the sound of a private jet in my living room.

(Signatures: disabled) 

Until I see SLI or Crossfire being system requirements I'm staying with AGP as well...next graphics is probably gonna be 6600GT . Did some overclocking in the past, but I just don't like the sound of a private jet in my living room.

SLI and Crossfire are great ideas, but im kinda peeved that the bandwith of the 8X AGP isn't even used yet, it could easily handle a next generation card. They haven't even begun to use the bandwith.

It seems to me that since they are in a hurry to convert to PCI Express, the only reason would be for SLI, so everybody can spend more money and buy two of their expensive cards.

Now their making Physic cards, whats next, AI cards?

I'm all for advancement in technology but i also want my options. regular PCI graphic cards were still out on the shelves just as PCI Express X16 graphic cards were coming in. Whats the rush with getting rid of AGP so fast then? <_<

Ah capitalism, your failing me. :angry:

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

My goals:

To get up to at 48c. (Typically ideal to keep it at 5oc or below)

Get voltage cranked up to 1.6 (Typically ideal to keep it between 1.5 and 1.7)

My current settings:

My voltage right now is 1.525

My CPU temp is 38c.(this is w/o new Copper heatsink and ArcticSilver Paste)

My CPU is at 2411Mhz factory settings.

What i don't understand completely is the connection between FSB and my RAM. I guess multipliers are locked on p4's(whatever they are?) and the only way to over clock is to up the FSB while tweaking the voltage and ram. I undersatnd the first two. But will i need to tweak my ram, and if so how?

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

Well I finally put my PC back together. TO install this fan i had to take the motherboard out and put a reinforcment plate on the back!, but the screws weren't in the package so my computer sat in peices for a week. ohwell, now i just have to OC it. My CPU temp is at 32C

Myspace Website!

My rig

I know nothing about overclocking except that a friend of mine tried it, and set fire to his CPU and motherboard. I was there.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.