Looking for CRPG

Janmanden

Looking for a good PC-RPG/Action hybrid with witty dialogue and a storyline that will keep me playing for several hours.

But...

- No consoles. (No X-SUX, etc.)

- Not fluffy cuteness or anime crap. (No Final Fantasy, etc.)

- Not Diablo-like dungeon hacks. (No Dungeon Siege, etc.)

- Not subscription based MMORPG's. (No WoW, etc.)

- Not total crap.

Why do I feel like, that these limitations filter out all the games, except the ones I already have (Fallout(both), BG(all), IWD(all), Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex(both), System Shock(2), VTM(both), KOTOR(both), NWN, Arcanum, JA2?!, Odium?!, M&M(All))

Something an old Bloodsucking-Amnesiac-Jedi-Mutant-Swashbuckler might like. Any Ideas?

edit: some games I forgot to mention snuck in.

Edited by Janmanden

(Signatures: disabled) 

You've really shortened the list of possible games that fit your categories, you know...

First of all, Jeff Vogel's rpgs are very traditional, party-based dungeon runs, and you oughta try at aleast his Avernum series. Here: http://www.spidweb.com/

Then there's Arcanum, a game which will be lauded be quite a lot of people on this fora, so I don't have to...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Then there's Arcanum, a  game which will be lauded be quite a lot of people on this fora, so I don't have to...

Did I forget to mention Arcanum...yeah I did. I got it when it came, played it thru a couple of times and I wasn't really impressed, not funny imo.

^One great game, but an adventure, not a crpg or a hybrid.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

^One great game, but an adventure, not a crpg or a hybrid.

It's as much of an action/adventure/RPG hybrid as Deus Ex or System Shock 2.

San Andreas tracks down statistics for the main character like physical skills (muscle improvement will influence how much melee damage CJ can cause, while stamina improvement will determine how long he will be able to run without getting tired), as well as vehicule control (the more you use a vehicule, the better the character will handle it) and weapon statistics (again, the more CJ uses a weapon the better he will be at it and can influence speed reloading and the ability to use it while moving). It's basically an 'improve by use' system like that of Morrowind.

Gothic.

I suppose its not really funny though.

Funny seems an odd requirement for a crpg, but whatever. :blink:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Gothic.

Funny seems an odd requirement for a crpg, but whatever.  :-

Funny isn't really a requirement, even though 'witty' may sound like it...and if someone knows of a game reminiscent of Arcanum that isn't filtered out or part of my backcatalogue, please tell...I may be limited, but I'm also desperate. :blink:

Yes the Gothic series fits the description of what you want very well.

It's going to be very hard to find the 1st one in stores and you'll have to look at Ebay. Expect to spend $50 at least. Note that I am talking about the English version of the game.

A better bet is the sequel, "Gothic 2" (just as good w/ some gameplay improvements).

You're in luck because "Gothic 2: Gold" has just been released at a budget price. It includes the base Gothic 2 and its expansion "Night of the Raven".

You can get it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ogames&n=507846

or try your EB or Gamestop.

Man, it is scary how *exactly* Gothic/Gothic 2 fits with what you described. It just goes to show how badly marketed those 2 games were (outside of Germany that is) if that is your criteria for picking an RPG game and you have never heard of them.

Edited by elkston

Gothic.

Funny seems an odd requirement for a crpg, but whatever.  :lol:

Funny isn't really a requirement, even though 'witty' may sound like it...and if someone knows of a game reminiscent of Arcanum that isn't filtered out or part of my backcatalogue, please tell...I may be limited, but I'm also desperate. :)

Did you try Divine Divinity? I never played it but a lot pf people really liked it.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It's hack 'n' slash. Sadly.

kirottu said:

Heh, try X-Men Legends 2 :)

kirottu said:

Divine Divinity still beats the crap out of Diablo though.

Have you tried Throne of Darkness?It's not brilliant but it's cheap.

EDIT:I type slowly...

Edited by WinterSun

master of my domain

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Anachronox. Funnier than heck. :thumbsup:

Edit: I'm also a Gothic fan. Once you get used to the control system, I found Gothic's magnificent, seamless world and better than average story to be a real joy. Do Gothic first, then the sequel.

Edited by ~Di

I noticed you didn't mention NWN - The OC is not that good, but HOTU is pretty good and the user-created modules are a sheer delight - the good ones that is!! :D

Another slip up, I got that too when it was first released. Was rather disappointed about it considering the developer, but it *was* an ok game...I never played it since.

You sound a lot like me when it comes to trying to find games these days.

I like/d mindless stuff like Diablo and still do sometimes, but they don't hold my attention for very long.

I keep going back to my old games...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Gothic? Hm...looking at some screenshots and reading over some discontent about controls and interface...Not sure I can afford a new screen at the moment - lost enough hair already on previous encounters with other games, so I take out my frustration on, well... It looks a bit reminiscent of M&M expect in a 3rd person perspective.

You want an action RPG that isn't hack 'n slash?

Hmm....Fable?

Well... Seems like we are scraping the bottom of the bin now. Whenever I hear someone with the same preferences as me bash something, I get a little extra suspicious. As in that thread Fable: TLC

Any demos of any of these two games?