Screenwriting/Fiction Writing

Inkwell

Hey, everybody. Since you don't seem to have (or require, for that matter) an 'introductions' section, I'll just introduce myself here. Briefly...I assure you (don't want to bore you before you get to the meat and potatoes of the post, after all...that'll be boring enough).

(w00t)

Just tryin' to be polite, that's all. Anyway, I'm currently a college student majoring in English Communications (whatever that means). I guess I'm here because I've always had an interest in video games (ever since that little blue-black brick called Atari found its way to my grandfather's basement) and subsequently, game development. Yeah...I've always talked about how 'kewl' it would be to get into the biz, but never really looked at it from a serious standpoint until a few years ago. Quite frankly, I'd never make it as an animator. Yeah, I guess I can draw a bit, but not well enough to compete with some of the art gurus out there. That pushed me to consider my other primary interest (practically speaking)...writing.

I've been writing since grade school...early grade school at that. Still with me? I suppose an invisible hand just whacked me on the back of the head one day, as if saying "Hey...why don't you write for the video game industry if you're too much of a coward to try anything else!" I suppose that's why I'm here. I'm working on getting published professionally (and even came close to placing in the Writers of the Future Contest), and decided to look into careers that involve fiction writing with a more regular paycheck than freelance short story and novel work.

I understand that this forum probably deals more with the animation or programming side of game development, but thought it couldn't hurt to inquire about the screenwriting/fiction writing side of things. Just wondering what it generally takes to get a job writing for games studios (or Obsidian, in particular, if only as an example)...how the process goes in a nutshell, and any other details anyone can think of. I don't mean to be pushy with these questions (since this happens to be my first post here, after all)...just trying to get your take(s) on writing for the game industry and how one might go about getting a job doing it.

Any and all comments (including a hearty "shut the he** up") are greatly appreciated. There...I'm done.

*exaggerated sigh*

:shifty:

Inkwell

---------------------

"Q: What's faster than the speed of light?

A: The speed of DARK. When you turn out the light, the dark is already there."

I'm not sure this forum really revolves around anything, but a little guidance on must-reads regarding self-studies on programming and game shops. Mostly people seem to be involved in cross-forum feedback, additions and improvements of and on gameplay features and general chitchat about this and that. Making a presentation is nice, but unless you decide to be regularly active in any of those cross-forum activities I mentioned I doubt anyone will get to know you....still got only 1 post I see.

(Signatures: disabled) 

• 2 weeks later...
I'm working on getting published professionally (and even came close to placing in the Writers of the Future Contest), and decided to look into careers that involve fiction writing with a more regular paycheck than freelance short story and novel work. 

congrats.

I understand that this forum probably deals more with the animation or programming side of game development, but thought it couldn't hurt to inquire about the screenwriting/fiction writing side of things.  Just wondering what it generally takes to get a job writing for games studios (or Obsidian, in particular, if only as an example)...how the process goes in a nutshell, and any other details anyone can think of.  I don't mean to be pushy with these questions (since this happens to be my first post here, after all)...just trying to get your take(s) on writing for the game industry and how one might go about getting a job doing it. 

hmm... well, it isn't just for animators. If you look at the job listed for Obsidian, you might get a good idea of what they want. They list jobs for writers from time to time, iirc.

There is at least one write who frequents these boards, so I wouldn't say you are wasting your time, or that you shouldn't try to do what you want and what you love.

My understanding is that the jobs for writers tend to be few and far between, because it takes less writers to turn out a game than it does animators, programmers, etc.

Really, though. Good luck in all your dreams.

You might want to check your college to see if there are writing classes that have

a connection to writing and multimedia as that will help you in the long run if you understand way the other groups work, and their potential limitations.

Guest Michael Chu

One piece of advice: When you see a job opening for a writer position at a game company, apply for it. Along with your resume and cover letter, attach writing samples. Now be prepared to repeat this process many times. In the meantime, hone your craft.

It sounds silly, but if you have the talent, this will probably get you a job sooner or later. You might want to seek out an entry level job in the industry while you're waiting, and learn about how the industry works.

Edited by Michael Chu

What Chuberry said and also be prepared to show that you can write using a game's toolset - If you were looking to get hired on for NWN 2, you would have to show that you could write meaningful dialogue using NWN 1's toolset.

It's one thing to write beautiful, flowing prose - entirely another to do so via a toolset interface that is anything but linear.

Good luck!