T.O.M.B.S, vol 3

Cantousent

There is no need to subtract points from yourself, Eldar. Actually if I check the T.O.M.B.S. manual it says on page 37 , paragraph eight that: the person doing nearly all of the reports for T.O.M.B.S. is not exempt from deductions, but cannot deduct and/or add/multiply/divide points from themselves .

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

+100 points to Sur for being awesome.

-200 pts for CoF for abandoning everything he stood for and playing suck-up.

You think I give a goddamn about your rating system? What I stand for is doing whatever the hell I want, whenever the hell I want. The day I bow down to what someone else wants me to do is the day I get a job. Because, you know, it's really hard to do whatever you want when you have no money!

Some taxes are deducted from your paycheck.  At the end of the year, the IRS calculates whether what you paid covers what you owe.  If you're short, you owe extra money.  If not, you're clear.  If you have over-paid, the IRS sends you a check.

The problem is that the IRS doesn't calculate your taxes for you.  You must file taxes and the IRS checks to make sure your calculations are right.  The $750 LC owes is not nearly so bad as the fact that the IRS is more likely to audit her and her husband in the future because of an honest mistake.  The tax code is confusing and yet the IRS can give you some stiff penalties.  I don't fancy losing my house because I've made a clerical error in my forms.

Don't you have electronic tax forms submission?

In AU we have e-tax, you download it, answer the questions in electronic forms and it calculates everything for you. Australian Taxation Office encourages it, because it is easier for them and for you, also processing is a lot faster this way.

There are a variety of ways to calculate your taxes, which includes tax prep software, using your accountant, taking it to a tax preparation service, or doing your taxes yourself. From what I can tell of LC's experience, her family probably uses quite a few forms. Muddling through all of that can be a real challenge. Even with software, it takes time to do everything and you have to be sure you've done everything properly.

Maybe Americans wouldn't hate taxes so much if the laws weren't so damned confusing. The tax code is ponderously long and it causes huge problems. In addition to that, virtually all the states have income tax as well. I think Nevada and one other state are the sole exceptions. So, you have federal and state taxes due, and some states, at least California, use your federal return to determine the taxes for which you are accountable to the State.

If there are any tax lawyers in this thread, give us the straight skinny. I've about tapped the general information I know and talking about the IRS is giving me the eebie jeebies.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

You think he *gasp* got a life ?!? :'(

I sort of miss him around here :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You know who I miss? GOA. He was a friendly face (err... of Yoda tokin' away) and a voice of reason in many debates when I first started lurking around these parts. Many thought-provoking posts, that one had, huuurmmm.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

From what I can tell of LC's experience, her family probably uses quite a few forms...

...Maybe Americans wouldn't hate taxes so much if the laws weren't so damned confusing.  The tax code is ponderously long and it causes huge problems. 

My husband is largely a self-employed contractor and what we mail to the IRS is about an inch thick, unfolded. <_<

We have an very good independant accountant, because there's no way we could (or want to) muddle through all of that ourselves, not to mention get past all the legalise to figure out what we can and can't do to make our taxes as painless as possible, especially when those things change in some fairly fundamental way every bloody year. And even with the accountant, obviously, mistakes are made because the law/code is horribly complex and reads like an instruction manual/terms of agreement from hell.

The more you make and the more investments/toes you have in financial whindings, the more nightmarish it becomes, even if you're not rich, which we're not. Our 2005 tax stuff is going to be the worst yet.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm-a-cookin up a report, you'll see!

I was considering Laozi before you even suggested it, Kor. ;)

:blink:

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Alas, it usually takes me a while to write a report. I mull over what I've got to say and then look over the posts again. Soon, though.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The subject of this report is Darth_Schmarth

Forbidden Topic Starter -- Mr. Schmarth has created only 12 threads in the forum. A meager twelve, for which he could feel some shame.

Obsidian Plays

+100 T.O.M.B.S. to Eldar for recognising that I'm determined about my spam.

Oh, and about all my threads being locked, I wish to stress that lockdown is only the action of a few in power. I perceive spam/social chatter/everyday discussion in a different way from the mods, which I have often tried to explain; mods have this idea that if a discussion no longer matches the title of the thread, it is a Bad Thing. I just don't buy into that and never will. Partially that's why threads tend to get locked when I'm around.

^Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum

Schmarth, I say we teach 'em a lesson they won't soon forget, Gutman style!

Edited by thepixiesrock

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.