The end is the beginning is the end.

Darth Jebus

Tonight at midnight, the Xbox 360 goes on sale. Is this the beginning of the end for computer gaming? I know we've had countless threads on this topic debating the issue, but it seemed fitting today because one of the next gen consoles actually hits the shelves tonight.

So, what are your thoughts? Will you be picking up a console this week sometime? Who or why not? I know I will be. I own both an Xbox and a PC and I've played both regurlarly, although I've spent the vast majority of my gaming time on my PC due to playing World of Warcrack. But I'm looking forward to the 360.

As of midnight tonight here in the US, your PC, now matter how powerful it is, will no longer be the best PC out there. The 360 will be. Have you seen the specs on that thing.

Holy...crap.

I can't wait to check it out.

No. I'm glad I don't open tommorow. The palce I work has 54 360's and half are taken already. It will be interesting to find out how many people show up when I arrive at work tommorow. :-"

In Norway they demanded you sell the lot on pre order or you couldnt have any. The allocations for Europe are a joke if they don't sell those out it's time to cry.

Any interest I had, which wasnt much granted. Slipped away with all the titles into the middle of next year.

Theres an ok piece over a Eurogamer about their hands on. It's a bit gushy but other than that not too bad.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Atleast in Finland, the enthusiasm has been nil, none, nada. 2 finish gaming sites are having dates for the release, but that's it. No commercials on TV, no ads in the paper or anything.

Several of my friends aren't even aware of it being released this year. Actually, one of them bought a PS2 yesterday.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Funniest thing I saw was a picture with an add Dreamcast II available from tommorow. Made me laugh anyway.

For the most part anyone not impressed by pretty pictures has been a tad underwhelmed. I think they jumped the gun on the release, plenty of life still left in this generation.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

As of midnight tonight here in the US, your PC, now matter how powerful it is, will no longer be the best PC out there.

Why exactly do you say that?

That's a stupid comment. A console can't hope to compete with a gaming pc, because we can always get the latest hardware for it. Console has to wait for the next gen years later.

I don't think PC gaming is anywhere near death, however...

Boutique stores like EB and Gamestop are no longer reliable source for PC games.  They've gone the way of Best Buy and completely forgotten thier PC roots.

I noticed that. Bunch of sellouts. I get my pc games usually at Best Buy since they have more pc games than the other stores do.

As businesses they stock what sells. It's completely daft to expect a business to be loyal to a product that isnt selling when all they do is sell things.

It's like the gamecube, you can't buy gamecube stuff here in most non game stores. They dont hate Nintendo (obvious since there are shelves full of GBA and DS) but the GC stuff dosnt sell, so they stop stocking it.

478327[/snapback]

I don't devote my love to a single console. I play Sims 2, Rise of Nations, Dungeon Siege 2, and Half Life 2 on my PC. I play my PS2 only games on my PS2. I play my Xbox games on my Xbox. I dust off my N64 when I'm feeling nostalgic. The way I see it, every platform has its strengths and weaknesses; in the end it's all about the games they run. Thus, the only way to be truly happy is to have as many platforms as your parents will buy you (seeing as how they're tired of getting me new games every few months, this isn't going to work this Christmas, and I have to wait til early '06 to get my 360 :o ).

sig2.gif