Spartans the Model for the Mandalorians?

I was watching a H channel program on the Spartans, and it hit me. Well, not literaly, but in a flash: the brutal Spartans could be the model for the Mandalorians. They have the same love of battle, the same honor code, the same shunning of weakness and pain, and the ability to kick rear end where ever they went.

Tell me what you think

(Marine Axiom)

Sweat Dries

Blood Clots

Bones Heal

SUCK IT UP!

Interesting idea, but I seriorly doubt the game creators used the Spartans as a model. Maybe one or two featuers for the Spartans were used along with the cultur eof other civilisations.

I am not completly sure, but the Mandalorian meaning of "honor" reminds me of the Samurai idea fo honor, for example.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=38110

^You guys might find that thread interesting.

Obsidian didn't create mandos, just to make it clear.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I was watching a H channel program on the Spartans, and it hit me. Well, not literaly, but in a flash: the brutal Spartans could be the model for the Mandalorians. They have the same love of battle, the same honor code, the same shunning of weakness and pain, and the ability to kick rear end where ever they went.

Tell me what you think

I was just telling my little brother that last night when he asked me how Mandalore was old enough to have been fighting for 40 years. I told him they live in a spartan-like society where boys as young as 5 or 6 begin very intense training for war.

It's possible the Spartan's certainly influenced the Mandalorian's, but they weren't a toal coversion. For example, I don't think Mandalorians throw weak children over a cliff to there deaths. (Okay bad example).

There are problably other ifluences, like maybe the Samurai, whose code (Bushido) involves self-sacrifice, and total loyalty to their leader, like the Mandalorians to Mandalore. (I know the Samurai problably influenced the Jedi ideas more, but you can see the similarities.)

You know< I'm reading waaay to much into this, but that's just us Star Wars geeks, of which I am proud to be one. :-

It's possible the Spartan's certainly influenced the Mandalorian's, but they weren't a toal coversion. For example, I don't think Mandalorians throw weak children over a cliff to there deaths. (Okay bad example).

There are problably other ifluences, like maybe the Samurai, whose code (Bushido) involves self-sacrifice, and total loyalty to their leader, like the Mandalorians to Mandalore. (I know the Samurai problably influenced the Jedi ideas more, but you can see the similarities.)

You know< I'm reading waaay to much into this, but that's just us Star Wars geeks, of which I am proud to be one. :-

Yeah, I'm one too!

(oh by the way, how do you get that pic of the "burning man" on your post to stay there. I mean, how do you permanitly attach it?)

Thanks

(Marine Axiom)

Sweat Dries

Blood Clots

Bones Heal

SUCK IT UP!

or maybe they aren't human as we understand it.

They aren't. The Original Mandalorians were a grey skinned species. During the Mandalorian Wars, Mandalore the Ultimate recruited many other races into the Mandalorians in order to have a greater army for the war.

Humans were the most numerous of these recruits. When most of the Original Mando's died during hte War, the Humans and what ever other species continuied the traditions set forth by the Mandalorian species.

KOTOR 2 must be completed

Keep this in mind guys, everyone takes ideas from everyone. Before Spartans, there were things that were like Spartans :p and before mandalorians, there were ideas people had for things like mandalorians :o

one cannot fairly say,"oh they just took that idea or modeled that idea from something else"

BTW i got this idea from somebody else :o !!SURPRISE!! :o:o

To quote something from the most pessemistic book in the Bible: Ecclesiastes 1:9

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."

Edited by Blank

Spartans were the first to acutally use tactics. their style of warfare was brand new. As was (to the best of our knowlege) their lifestyle of warfare.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Spartans were the first to acutally use tactics. their style of warfare was brand new. As was (to the best of our knowlege) their lifestyle of warfare.

But surely there was a tribe that specifically focused on warfare before the civilisation of the spartans. they might have been the first big nation to do it, but the idea wasn't new i am sure.

Tell me what you think

Probably, almost everything in sw is stolen from history.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

From my understanding, I always thought Spartans merely left the weeklings up in the hills to die (though they could well have done both) - if they did die, so be it, who cares, but if they actually managed to survive up there and come back down again, then perhaps they were strong enough after all - and I think that's something I can see happening in Mandalorian society really.

You think wrong. Spartan society valued technicians, engineers and poets, perhaps not as much as the next state, but enough to not waste peoples lives. Not everyone needed to be able to march with aegis and half-lance under the basking thermopylean sun.

What you mentioned sounded more like soldier initiation rites.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

As far as I know; it had a lot to with the phase of history they were going through at the moment, but yes; you're right. Some people say that the bond was forced, but that's just bull****. Greeks were just a lot less strict when it came to male love. On the toher hand; I'm not so sure whether spartans valued the affection between two persons because they felt that it would coerce them to acts of bravery in defence of their partner or because tight-knit relations just made better teams. It's weird really, you'd imagine that love would be seen as 'weak' or it might be considered a hindrance when it came to a field of battle, afterall the spartans were a very war-oriented people.

And yes; it was pederasty, not penetration, you vile sniggerers.

Edit: I'm getting eccentric-er by the day, it seems.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Remember that Greeks used phalanxes and tactical maneuvers, if you broke the line you in fright or act of vengeance and fury for your grief, you might doom the whole troop. Especially, as most relationships were between an officer(captain and the like) and a lower officer(their counterpart of sergeant-at-arms), if it was you leading the cohort. Rash actions took their toll.

T'is bordering on the quasi-history, however.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

I always veiwed Mandalorians as more Romans with some Norsemen qualities to be honest.

Tactically the closest comparision would be to the old Roman Empire.

Following one grand leader who had to prove their ability in war, ect. (Ceaser era).

After they are defeated and split up they become more nomadic like Vikings. Seperate clans following the strongest of their specific clan.

the spartans were the first known military based society. Yes there was homosexuals between the troops but I sincerly doubt that there was rape. Also every male could be called up for service so usually when you were summoned it'd be like waking up in the morning going into the street and joining your neighbors on the way to the battlefield.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

• 1 year later...

Mandalorians = Spartans... There are some other influences there, Samuari for one... but the Spartans were the main influence. The Spartans were a military society, as are the Mandalorians. The Spartans would NOT surrender or retreat (in earnest) and would fight to the death without fear, Mandalorians have yet (aside of a corrupt Jedi) met a force that could stand against them in combat.

98% Spartan

2% Other

Mandalorians are family centric... so no, they would not be doing things like tossing deforemed, or underweight, or anything else...off a cliff to die..

to better understand the Mando'ade... read their information on Wookieepedia.com (or .org)