Guild Wars

Petay

The travel powers in COH add to the experiance, after all you don't see most superheros sprinting after a car and hoping to catch it. the basic rundown of the Powers is this.

Superspeed, Fastest possible power, only problem is if you run into a vertical hurtle you will probably end up having to go around. this could take a while to go around.

Flight, the slowest of the travel powers, it also can suck up power if you don't modify it correctly. It gets faster with each lvl higher than 14 you are so by 50 your pretty darn fast, the reason it's so slow is because you can just put your self at 1000 feet and hit run.

Teleport one of the most difficult powers to master is Teleport, you jump from point to point and unless you have hover from flight you will probably spend a heap of time dropping like a rock while your power activates, it's also a power hog, but it can be useful for running because it drops agro.

Superjump, think flight without the ability to constantly stay in the air, it's one of the better powers and the only one I haven't experimented with.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Teleport one of the most difficult powers to master is Teleport, you jump from point to point and unless you have hover from flight you will probably spend a heap of time dropping like a rock while your power activates, it's also a power hog, but it can be useful for running because it drops agro.

That sounds like fun.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

If a monster hits you while you have the Hunter speed skill on, you're stunned/slowed to a crawling walking pace for some seconds. If they hit you again, it goes on forever.

But it's still very useful for around the huge towns and actual road travelling, which is generally 'safe'.

If you're hit while riding a mount, you're not stunned.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If a monster hits you while you have the Hunter speed skill on, you're stunned/slowed to a crawling walking pace for some seconds. If they hit you again, it goes on forever.

But it's still very useful for around the huge towns and actual road travelling, which is generally 'safe'.

If you're hit while riding a mount, you're not stunned.

Kiting not a big part of WoW then :wub:"

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I enjoy the WoW scenery so much that the long travel times never really bother me. Also, I've played games that have more of an instant travel option, and it isn't as rewarding to me. But we all have our preferences. Personally, exploration is the number one reason I play MMORPG's.

I think CoH and CoV are awesome projects, but I'm just not a big fan of super hero stuff. Even when I read comics as a child, I preferred Punisher because he had no actual super powers. I am much more into the fantasy setting, but I think there is definitely room for different settings in the MMORPG genre.

I was a teleporting SoW casting Druid in EQ for about 2 years. You get used to it.

It dosnt stop you exploring , it just means you go right to whereever you want to go after you are done. My first cross continent trip I spent about 3 hours getting from home to Karana , saw a giant went up to have a look and promptly got stomped. Powerleveled to 19 that same day :D

478327[/snapback]

Its not ... at least for the long run.

Problem with it is that it lacks content, after you beat the game for the first time doing it again is just boring and as in MMORPGs like WoW you DO get something out of a instance in Guild Wars case you dont, there is 0 reason to repeat a mission.

The only thing that difers of both is as in GW you never pay, in WoW you do.

drakron.png

But does Guild Wars live up to anything of the standard of WoW though?

Guild Wars doesn't have to try and "live up to the standards" set by any other game. It's a very good game in its own right. As others have mentioned, it is very gameplay and combat oriented. There is a tacky storyline, it's not that immersive, what will keep you involved will primarily be the combat.

That does not imply that it is a hack-n-slash clickfest, though. Far from it -- there's a lot of depth to the gameplay. In case you haven't hread already, every character has as assortment of upto 150 skills, of which only 8 can be equipped at a time before going out of town. There is a large variety of feasible combinations, but at the same time you cannot just randomly equip 8 spells and hope to nuke the living daylights out of anything that moves. You can have anything from straightforward builds such as paladins and nukers, to complex interrupting builds, all are very rewarding to play depending on your tastes, and none are really overpowered.

HUnter... it's called Aspect of the Pack.

Seeing as pally was referring to the funky "Spirit of the wolf type" travel powers, I think the more correct travel form would be, wait for it... ghost wolf. Which is a shaman power.

Kiting not a big part of WoW then

It depends on the class. Travel forms all have complications that prevent you from using them for kiting (and the hunter aspect can at least be used to kite reasonably well in some specific situations- the others are for running away or fast travel).

Hunters still have concussion shot. frost mages still have a slow/freeze (and sometimes both!) effect on every offensive cast, shamans still have frost shock. Kiting is certainly important to those classes (well, maybe not the shaman but still).

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Guild Wars online play is free. And it is story-based. They essentially have a different business model...there will be expansions (or "chapters" as they call them) but you will have to pay full price for the new chapters.

Basically, they are selling you the story piecemeal. It is just a much different business model...hopefully, it will be successful and usher in a new generation of online games.

I'm the kind of person who can sink 10 hours into such a game and then not touch it for 2 weeks....buying the story piecemeal and not having monthly fees makes alot of sense for me.

You run around and kill things, level up, find loot, ooh and ahh at the scenery, kill other players, and fiddle with skills.

Pretty much what you do with all on-line RPG-lites.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Eek. Well, Guild Wars might not be everyone's cuppa, but it does what it does very, very well, is a beautiful game, and frankly has absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to Diablo2. And I'd sure consider it to be a MMORPG.

No game will hold everyone's attention indefinitely, but frankly I've put 300-400 hours into it, and I'm still having fun. That's definitely my $49.99 worth, IMHO.

kotorkyle, my post on the previous page goes into more detail about the story line, the potential of using a team of cleaver AI henchies or grouping with other "human" players, the missions, and the exploration of many... and I do mean many... gorgeous maps for questing. It's a fine game in my opinion, and a very popular one as well. Do some research at the various Guild Wars forums, and see if you might like to try it.

Edited by ~Di