Worst Lecture Notes Ever?

dufflover

How would you rate these lecture/subject notes?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate these lecture/subject notes?

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Satisfactory
    • Bad
    • Very Bad
    • Unlearnable/Useless cos it's just a huge essay
    • Other
    • I haven't had Uni-style experience so nothing to compare to.

I've got the Uni exam for this subject tomorrow and trying to study from this set of lecture notes is just futile (the problem/tutorial sheets are just the same texty style). I'm practically doomed to fail :) .

Anyway, how would you rate these lecture notes? I personally think they're the [Comic Book Guy] "Worst...Notes...Ever!"

Now ignore the content and try to avoid criticizing how it's outdated/old tech, or how easy/hard it is to you, but try reading a couple of the pages/paragraphs and tell me if you agree that it's just a crap set of notes. If you have no idea what it's talking about that means they are crap cos it means you're not learning...and don't bother asking if they work well during the lecture with a lecturer cos they don't - he practically just reads what's on the slide/page.

Well my main problem with is that it's practically just a huge text file - I personally just can't learn from a blocks and blocks of text, especially when in some cases the detail is just poor.

Lecture_Notes.pdf

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

They didn't look too bad.. Except that I got lost while trying to read them :)

Not sure which order you're supposed to read them in.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Good notes.

You should see mine. :)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

^Like it should be done.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

They're not his lecture notes, they're the lecturers.

I've got a piece of advice for anyone studying at university... 90% of your time will be tracking down the appropriate material to learn from. It's pretty ****ing rare to get given a nice set of clear lecture notes unless you're either

a) in the first year

b) studying discrete mathematics

Go visit that big building with all the books in it. I believe they call it a library.

Edited by Moose

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Well my main problem with is that it's practically just a huge text file - I personally just can't learn from a blocks and blocks of text, especially when in some cases the detail is just poor.

Try using highlight markers of different colours. Even if it dosnt work you will have really colourful notes.

Theres also a little trick which some people like to use. When your doing your test stare at something the same colour as the marker and it might help you remember what you highlighted in that particular colour.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I thought they were above average, recalling my own university experience.

I recommend drawing pictures on the notes. Pictures of anything will help you recall the data.

EDIT: If you make the drawings especially violent be sure to ask questions on the notes of your tutor. :D

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Eeep... those are some nasty notes dufflover...

My uni notes vary depending on who the lecturer is... but most of them keep their notes in slide-form and the content is often simple, so that we have to make notes during the actual lectures so that when look back at them, they actually make sense... but our course is very much dependent on us actually reading around the subject (I guess, thus the term "reading Psychology")... we have to do a lot of independent research and study so our lectures are probably less content heavy for that purpose too

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

I like the "slide-by-slide" format much more, plus it means it was more likely they would include more pictures/diagrams as well. You may also notice that some of the "NOTE" comments at the end of some lecture slides are longer than the slide itself...

This is more like a badly written textbook then a set of lecture notes.

For instance I had end up learning about the different machine types (Set 5 if you're bothered) from here:

http://www.ece.ucsb.edu/~kastner/ece154/slides/ece154-2.pdf

Compared to every other set of lecture notes I've had since starting it's almost as if this guy (writer of notes is not the lecturer in this case) lives in a command terminal or something where all you have is text.

Edited by dufflover

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

The best advice I can give you is to read the lecture's notes before you have the lecture (if available). That way, when you sit the lecture, you can be refreshing what you have already read, and ask questions to clarify anything that didn't make sense when you read it.

My lecture notes were all supplied in "Powerpoint" form by the lecturers at the beginning of the semester for us to read (or not) at our own pace. Private Uni 4 T3h W1n!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The best advice I can give you is to read the lecture's notes before you have the lecture (if available). That way, when you sit the lecture, you can be refreshing what you have already read, and ask questions to clarify anything that didn't make sense when you read it.

But for studying later on I reckon just all this solid text is hopeless for that.

sigpic0yb.jpg

I tend not to read my own notes that I write. The thing I like about my uni is they have lecture notes on the web where you can dl, print and bring to class. Besides being much better than what you could do I think the main dif is you can study before hand and absorb what's being taught rather than spend most of your concentrating copying notes down.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

I tend not to read my own notes  that I write.  The thing I like about my uni is they have lecture notes on the web where you can dl, print and bring to class.  Besides being much better than what you could do I think the main dif is you can study before hand and absorb what's being taught rather than spend most of your concentrating copying notes down.

Very rare teachers do that in my uni. They say that would encourage people to skip class.

...bastards. :thumbsup:

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I tend not to read my own notes  that I write.  The thing I like about my uni is they have lecture notes on the web where you can dl, print and bring to class.  Besides being much better than what you could do I think the main dif is you can study before hand and absorb what's being taught rather than spend most of your concentrating copying notes down.

My lecturers do that too... and they post any journals or books we should read before the lecture so we understand the lecture better :)

We have to sign a register at every lecture so we can't really skip any of them... :blink:"

I believe there's some research that students who write their own notes during lectures absorb, and later are able to recall, more information than those who sit passively and rely on the lecturer's notes for revision. It makes sense, since during the lecture you're thinking about what you hear and selecting the important points to note down, so it may be a more effective way of learning.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I believe there's some research that students who write their own notes during lectures absorb, and later are able to recall, more information than those who sit passively and rely on the lecturer's notes for revision.  It makes sense, since during the lecture you're thinking about what you hear and selecting the important points to note down, so it may be a more effective way of learning.

I write notes on top of my lecturer's notes during the lecture itself and then write them out together along with any relevant research I've done to support what I've written and what my lecturer has provided... it's long and tedious at times but it's the best way for me to remember things :thumbsup:

I believe there's some research that students who write their own notes during lectures absorb, and later are able to recall, more information than those who sit passively and rely on the lecturer's notes for revision.  It makes sense, since during the lecture you're thinking about what you hear and selecting the important points to note down, so it may be a more effective way of learning.

I write notes on top of my lecturer's notes during the lecture itself and then write them out together along with any relevant research I've done to support what I've written and what my lecturer has provided... it's long and tedious at times but it's the best way for me to remember things :-

Yep, full marks to Launchie for this answer. Write the bits that you need to understand what's being taught: what you didn't get, what you thought was the keystone, what you thought made the entire point ... there is a whole area of psychology on pedagogical effectiveness (tell students what you are going to tell them, tell them, then tell them what you just told them), how to revise, drawing mind maps and using mneumonics to help recall facts, etc.

Pick up a library book on "learning", it's very interesting and should be one of the first concepts taught to all people.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT