Most difficult game you have ever played

kumquatq3

Yep, and agreed. It just seemed to be the consensus back then that, apart from being lovely gory, it was fairly hard for a fighting game.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Severance as in "Blade of Darkness" (US)? If so, the game wasn't that difficult, though there were a few rough spots. Good game, though.

The platform bits annoyed me (ruined my rating too).Loved the combat though probably because I was good at it :D

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I don't remember exactly HOW I beat Battletoads. I mean it was years ago.

I did use the warps and the extra lives trick available on the 2nd stage. Whacking the birds continuously on the way down the vertical tunnel.

The platforming elements of each stage were a matter of practice. I thought this came was the best game I ever played at the time so I had lots of practice. The stage I had the most trouble with was that water world with the sequences where you had to run/swim away from a huge gear rolling towards you. The last vertical spinning tower stage was easier.

I remember the trick to beating the bosses was using a super attack to bash them into the air then positioning yourself so you could use another super attack as soon as they landed and to keep that process going as long as possible. They still manage to crush you from time to time though.

That I've actually played...

Snake Rattle N Roll, for NES. It was easy/fun/hilarious for the first levels, and became increasingly impossible.

Most everything else, there were tough levels or spots that'd take me 5 or 10 re-tries to get past, but nothing that made me toss the game at the wall or give up just because of it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Dark Reign.

Starting from the fith level this game is as brutal as an RTS game as ever got. I laughed out loud at the last few missions. To this day i still don't know how i managed to finish the it.

Loved every second of it BTW...  :cool:

Ditto. That game needed serious tasking, due to the way it handled infantry/armour/arty/air and recon. Great game though. But I doubt I would ever be able to complete the last couple of missions without cheating. I still don't know what happens.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'd go with the first Castlevania for the NES.

That game was brutal.

Those bobbing Medusa heads coming at you from both sides as you try to jump from one small platform to another..... :huh:

No passwords. No saved games. No continues.

twas a bitch

You know, the teenage suicide rates increased that year because gamers couldn't jump off the game's stairs.

Snatcher reference

I agree about Ninja Gaiden and that first boss.  I basically took a ton of attempts to beat him.  When I finally did, I was so frustrated with my failures that I decided to cut my losses and quit playing.

We aren't talking about the NES version of Ninja Gaiden are we?

Probably the Xbox version. The first bosses of the NES versions are pushovers.

I've seen gameplay movies of the first boss on NG xbox and it looks damn hard.

We aren't talking about the NES version of Ninja Gaiden are we?

Xbox. The thing is the game didnt really equip you to deal with him at all. Until that point it was easy. Being my first action game in a while it took me totally by suprise.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

He's actually the second hardest boss in the game. Which is quite uncanny for a first boss monster.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I never owned Lara Croft, but I found the shifting perspective, and her shorts, very distracting.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't know about hardest, but the game I put most effort into was completing Doom on the hardest difficulty with a keyboard (this was before they added the Nightmare setting in a patch). Damn, that was a good game.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

Most difficult game i ever played was a little known games called Knights of Legend back on the old C64 set up.

One of the last missions in the main quest was fighting some kind of giants in their lair, I think. You had to send scouts in to lure them out one by one because they were so powerful, it took forever because there were so many of them, and a single misstep could see half your party unconscious. That was definitely one of the hardest games I've ever played. I don't think I'd have the patience to do that kind of thing these days.

Great game, though. :huh: Shame the promised expansion packs never materialised.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The short game thread reminded me of the most difficult game I ever played (because it got into adventure games, not because the game was short):

The first Discworld. Some of the puzzles were so far out there it was almost impossible to get them straight. Like one where you had to go back in time, put a frog in your mouth (although the frog did jump out of your mouth at the start of the game) so a butterfly would change it's position. Said Butterfly would then flap it's wings causing it to rain in the future (or present depending on how you view things) in another part of town so a person's robes would get wet. He would then hang them to dry so you could steal them.

And that's a puzzle we solved (I played it with a friend who at the time had read more Pratchett than I had, without his knowledge I think I'd have gotten stuck much, much sooner).

I don't recall what it was that finally broke us down, but in the end we just couldn't finish it (I remember how far we got, just not what we had to do afterwards). I think we were 2/3s through. Some time (year/s) later I went back to the game with the help of a walkthrough and finished it, shaking my head at how extremely bizarre all the puzzles that came after were.

I never had that much trouble with Ninja Gaiden or Dark Reign. Of course I only had time to go through Ninja Gaiden once one Normal. Took about a week (30 hours says the save game, but I played for way longer than that when you take into account deaths and replaying areas etc...) but I never had that much trouble with any of the bosses because they were hard. Had some trouble because I wasn't used to the controls at first, but after the first two chapters I had the controls down. :ph34r:

Hardest game I ever played was Commander Keen: Episode 4. :thumbsup:"

The short game thread reminded me of the most difficult game I ever played (because it got into adventure games, not because the game was short):

The first Discworld. Some of the puzzles were so far out there it was almost impossible to get them straight. Like one where you had to go back in time, put a frog in your mouth (although the frog did jump out of your mouth at the start of the game) so a butterfly would change it's position. Said Butterfly would then flap it's wings causing it to rain in the future (or present depending on how you view things) in another part of town so a person's robes would get wet. He would then hang them to dry so you could steal them.

And that's a puzzle we solved (I played it with a friend who at the time had read more Pratchett than I had, without his knowledge I think I'd have gotten stuck much, much sooner).

I don't recall what it was that finally broke us down, but in the end we just couldn't finish it (I remember how far we got, just not what we had to do afterwards). I think we were 2/3s through. Some time (year/s) later I went back to the game with the help of a walkthrough and finished it, shaking my head at how extremely bizarre all the puzzles that came after were.

You solved the butterfly puzzle? Wow.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif