What the hell?!?!?!

Okay, after a long time of not playing KOTOR2, I got an itch to fire it back up on the PC. So I go to start it up and I get the tried and true Windows XP "program has encountered a problem and needs to close" window. I restart my PC...same thing. So I decided to uninstall and then reinstall the game. I ran into some trouble reinstalling the game, and after numerous attempts, I finally got it installed. I go to start the game, and I'm still getting the "program has ecountered a problem and needs to close" window.

Really tees me off as the game was working perfectly the last time I played it back in the summer. I haven't made any hardware changes, no viruses, all my other games work perfectly, KOTOR works, but for some reason, KOTOR2 has crapped out on me.

Any ideas????

Processor: AMD Athlon XP/MP/4 1830MHz

Graphics Card: ATI RADEON 9800 PRO

Okay, I decided to reinstall again, and I ran into the same problem, only this time, I documented what happened.

I put in disc 1, installation goes smoothly. It asks for disc 2, I put in disc 2 and everything still goes smoothly. Then it asks for disc 3 and then I put the disc in. This is where things start to haywire.

At some point during the installation process, this window pops up...

Windows - Wrong Volume

The wrong volume is in the drive. Please insert volume KOTOR2_1 into drive D:. It then tells me to "cancel" "try again" and "continue".

Obviously, not normal. I hit continue, and then this window pops up...

Unhandled Exception

Error Number: 0x80040707

Description: DLL function call crashed: ISRT._WaitOnDialog

Setup will now terminate.

To steal a line from C-3PO, I feel so totally helpless.

I finally got around my installation problem (I copied discs 2,3, and 4 directly to the hard drive, and installed that way), but the game still doesn't work.

I guess now its time to keep downloading drivers till I find a set that works. This is ticking me off, as the game worked perfectly fine several months ago.

I put in disc 1, installation goes smoothly. It asks for disc 2, I put in disc 2 and everything still goes smoothly. Then it asks for disc 3 and then I put the disc in. This is where things start to haywire.

Have you checked disk 3? Is it dirty? scratched?

The disc could have been corrupeted in any of a dozen ways...

I finally got around my installation problem (I copied discs 2,3, and 4 directly to the hard drive, and installed that way), but the game still doesn't work.

I guess now its time to keep downloading drivers till I find a set that works. This is ticking me off, as the game worked perfectly fine several months ago.

Send a msg to Obsidan, if they are like Blizzard inc they should replace the discs for free

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the game and I'm having the same problem. At different points in time during the installation I'll recieve a message telling me the wrong volume is in the drive and I need to insert KOTOR2_1 in the D: drive. This looks to me like it must be the first disk, but after putting that in I also get the crash message in ISRT._WaitOnDialog.

The disks look quite clean, and were untouched before the first time I tried this installation. I'm wondering if the disks were just very cheaply manufactured. I think if I can successfully copy the CD's onto the hard disk then I might be able to install off the HD unless the copy protection prevents it. But I think I'd also have to be able to verify that the disks were copied exactly (now I'm not so sure how easy that's going to be).

The right thing to do is to return the disks for a replacement. Such a pain... >_<

EDIT: I took a look in the event log and it looks like I did have a bad block reading from the cdrom. So I'm going to try cleaning the CD's really carefully, but I suspect this has to do with poor quality mass produced CD's.

EDIT2: I finally got the game installed. I did this by making ISO images of each disk (which took two tries with one of the disks), then mounted the disks using a free utility called VCdControlTool. From the mounted images, the install ran smoothly (but this does take a lot of disk space). I still need to use the first CD to play the game, but that doesn't (yet) seem to cause any problems.

At least part of the problem I'm having has to do with my CD drive. I have an LG GCA-4040N and I noticed that there is a firmware upgrade for it. Upgrading the firmware is slightly daunting because it means uninstalling/reinstalling my CD writing software (and I've had this happen before where old firmware versions get stuck in system registry keys), but I do think the problem I've had lands between cheaply mass produced media and a cheap CD drive with possibly buggy firmware.

Edited by FredSRichardson

How can I find out what drivers I have , and where can I up grade them? I have the good 'ol start a new game and get the "windows needs to close problem" (I acualy got it to play on a 3 year old machine!)

(Marine Axiom)

Sweat Dries

Blood Clots

Bones Heal

SUCK IT UP!

How can I find out what drivers I have , and where can I up grade them? I have the good 'ol start a new game and get the "windows needs to close problem" (I acualy got it to play on a 3 year old machine!)

I'm no expert, but upgrading drivers can be a bit tricky. You probably want to do this one driver at a time and "roll back" the system if anything goes wrong (i.e. use the MS system restore thingy if you have XP installed).

The first step is identifying what hardware you have. If you don't already have a tool for doing this, check out Everest Home Edition. As far as finding drivers goes, it's usually safest to start with the support site for your machine (if it's not a home-built unit). Then go to the support sight for the manufacturer of the device you want to upgrade. I also highly recommend a google search to see what other people have done to upgrade the same piece of hardware (I've found this last bit can be difficult).

Given all that, I'd recommend starting with your video drivers, then maybe your audio drivers. If you can determine that other drivers (or the bios) for your system are highly questionable (i.e. upgrades exist for them and the upgrades actually appear to fix bugs -- as opposed to just supporting new versions of the hardware) then I'd go for this next. But definitely use caution and try to go with the support site for your machine if at all possible.

Know what really chaps my ass. I decided to buy a new copy of the game...and I'm still having problems.

Really sucks cause I was able to play the game on this machine when I first got it.

At least KOTOR runs as smooth as a whistle.

I've got a ATi 9600 PRO with the Catalyst 5.11 and I've got no problems with either game. (Win XP Pro SP2, XP 2700+, nForce2, 1GB RAM). Just in case it's really something else do try to kill all background apps and anti-whatever.

(Signatures: disabled) 

I used to have the install problem but I have recently torn everything out of my computer and put new components in so I don't seem to get it any more. The way I got around it was: I saw the 1 in the error message and (Random Logic bit) so I took the CD out then placed CD one in and clicked either Continue or Try again, I forget which, and it whirs then asks for the next CD. I was really frightened when I got this at first as it was on the first day of release, I had preordered and everything! So once the terrible install was over with I loaded up and it worked fine. Better than fine! Perfectly. I encountered the usual weird bugs and (A total out of my 8 playthroughs) one game crash, but nothing like you are describing. You may wish to uninstall and reinstall using my random way - it works for some reason. Now because I updated everything recently and the problem went away I can't really tell you what is causing it. However, I do hope that my ramble has given you a means of correcting the problem.

StarWarsKnights.com -- Do not invent details which are not in the play

Okay, I decided to reinstall again, and I ran into the same problem, only this time, I documented what happened.

At some point during the installation process, this window pops up...

Windows - Wrong Volume

The wrong volume is in the drive. Please insert volume KOTOR2_1 into drive D:. It then tells me to "cancel" "try again" and "continue".

Obviously, not normal. I hit continue, and then this window pops up...

Unhandled Exception

Error Number: 0x80040707

Description: DLL function call crashed: ISRT._WaitOnDialog

Setup will now terminate.

To steal a line from C-3PO, I feel so totally helpless.

That is simple to fix. When that error pops up put in disc 1 and hit try again. It will read the file from Disc 1 then ask for Disc 3. You will more than likely have to repeat it with disc 3 and 4.

HaHa, I finally have my game working thanks to the fine folks over at the Lucas Arts forums....

Actually, they just told me to update drivers. After getting tired of that, I switched from my very old Aureal card to the intergrated sound on the motherboard and the game booted right up.