Echani

Has someone said that the boards color scheme contrasts horrible with your signature image, Sentry? Because it does.

As for the Mandos; they're vaguely like the huns or the golden horde. Aegean(?) sea people(the earliest pirates) come also near, but south american natives with their garland wars and war cults spring to mind too.

Yeah I kind of thought of them as the Huns too, until the Vong and that they kind of integrated with Galactic Society. Didn't really think of the South Native Americans, that could be something. I really kind of look at the as being the Goths: less urbanized, more martial, comprable weapons, and they eventually adopted Roman culture to an extent and integrated. The Iridorians could have a run at being possibly Aztec or Bersekers.

Is their such a thing as a perfect ethos? What makes you think the Jedi ethos is more righteous then any other?

for instance..

Emiel Kant, a german philosopher once described the following situation:

You're walking in a dark alley when suddenly turns the corner, running. Then soon after a group bent on killing the fugitive appear asking you where the other man had gone. You're an honest man and as an honest man you have to tell the truth or you'd be going against your own ethos, but then again in being honest you might be responsible for somebody else's death.

So how can anybody be 'righteous' 100 percent of the time? There's no perfect philosophy.. Que sera, sera, mon ami.

That thing you just did; it's called showing off. Which kind of degrades the whole message. Please refrain, d'accord?

Tutsywillies, still I agree with you.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Right and wrong are only words, all that matters is what you do. - God

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

One cultures hero is another cultures murderer.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

One cultures hero is another cultures murderer.

This is true, those in the West and in China saw Genghis Khan as a murderer and tyrant, while the Steppe peoples saw him as a bringer of peace of prosperity. We see Julius Caesar as a great leader, bascially the founder of the Roman empire, others see him as a brutal conquerer and the man that destroyed Roman "democracy."

I think the simple truth is that any civilization that has been more powerful than its neighbors tends to eventually conquer them. Those who are PC often speak of Europe conquering North Africa and the Middle East, but before the Europeans did that the Moors conquered Spain and Portugal, so the simple truth is that who is good and who is bad is established by those in power.

Spain deserved to be conquered. The moorian rule was unadultareted paradise after the visigothian one. And really; can anyone whose been to Cordoba say that Reconquista was a good thing? I can't.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

• 1 year later...

Being something of a historian myself... I am confident in saying that the Mandalorians were definately based in part if not in whole on the Spartans.

Mandalorians do not rape and pillage as was posted above.. that is not what they are about. They assualt worlds to find glory and honor in combat, testing themselves win or lose against worlds which produce other outstanding warrior races.

Mandalorians are family oriented in the extreme, going so far as to adopt war orphans and marry war widows/widowers. They have a strong tradition of adoption. There were factions with in the clans that wanted to conquer for the sake of doing so, but they were in the vast minority.

If what you say is directly from the SW lore, then you are effectively destroying your own argument.

Spartan community was anything but family-oriented. Weak and frail babies were discarded from birth, strong young men were taken by the army to train as a soldier for a period lasting almost a decade, never seeing their family until the return - if they survived the strict martial camps and harsh drills. Also, Spartans hardly fought to find glory, not to mention forming a workable state beyond Peloponnesus. The Spartan kleurochy system was a strict military-oriented tolitarian state, ruled by an olicargy. They favored war above everything else. In fact, it was customary for young Spartan males to ravage the countryside, hunt down helots(independent slaves) and practice war - inside their very own land. I don't think those traits resemble Mandalorians at all.

I agree that the martial prowess and strict form of Mandos may remind one of Spartans, but that's based on the romanticized image of them - as saviours of all Hellas during the 4th Century BBC. The reality was far more grim.

Just from "a historian" to another.

kirottu said:

Wait, what? This was the Echani thread? Ah, heck.

kirottu said:

• 1 month later...
Being something of a historian myself... I am confident in saying that the Mandalorians were definately based in part if not in whole on the Spartans.

Mandalorians do not rape and pillage as was posted above.. that is not what they are about. They assualt worlds to find glory and honor in combat, testing themselves win or lose against worlds which produce other outstanding warrior races.

Mandalorians are family oriented in the extreme, going so far as to adopt war orphans and marry war widows/widowers. They have a strong tradition of adoption. There were factions with in the clans that wanted to conquer for the sake of doing so, but they were in the vast minority.

Actually I agree. :thumbsup:

Spartan community was anything but family-oriented. Weak and frail babies were discarded from birth, strong young men were taken by the army to train as a soldier for a period lasting almost a decade, never seeing their family until the return - if they survived the strict martial camps and harsh drills. Also, Spartans hardly fought to find glory, not to mention forming a workable state beyond Peloponnesus. The Spartan kleurochy system was a strict military-oriented tolitarian state, ruled by an olicargy. They favored war above everything else. In fact, it was customary for young Spartan males to ravage the countryside, hunt down helots(independent slaves) and practice war - inside their very own land. I don't think those traits resemble Mandalorians at all.

I agree that the martial prowess and strict form of Mandos may remind one of Spartans, but that's based on the romanticized image of them - as saviours of all Hellas during the 4th Century BBC. The reality was far more grim.

Just from "a historian" to another.

Yes, but the rights of the individual were seen as less than the survival of Sparta, so it would not be impossible to expect a strong child to be adopted ... heck the Agoge (which, as I'm sure you'll be aware, means "raising", as in cattle :o ) was just an organised institution for inculcating a love of Sparta above the natural survival urge (as well as providing a nice dating service for men to match up with boys).

Also, the Spartan civilization, after winning the Peloponnesian War(s) against Athens and her allies, eventually was crushed by other Greek States (Thebes, etc) and Alexander's Macedonians, and finally became a favourite theme park curiosity of the Roman Empire (prominent Romans liked to invent their own family tree origins in Sparta), much as what Mandalore recites as the history in KotOR.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT