Gaming again

Vashanti

My wife and I are nerdy gamers (mm, good stuff), and our old gaming group went with her ex-husband in their divorce (but that's ok, the GM got remarried to my ex-wife ... long story but they're all happy now) :lol:

SO... we hadn't played in years, and my wife (yes, my WIFE) kept pushing for us to find a new group. And, it turns out, my OLD group from highschool and college was reforming, as many of their life-situations suddenly allowed it (one divorce, one moved back into the area, stuff like that). So, now, every other weekend, we get together and game pen/paper, much like other people would get together and play poker or the like.

It started out with a GURPS based vampire/monster horror type game, but the old highschool mentality of having short attention spans seemed to reappear, as we only gamed that a few sessions before switching to another campaign.

Next was a Lord of the Rings game, based on GURPS. That was fun for a bit, but eventually a few of the gamers got bitten by the 3.5E bug and wanted to try that out.

So, the next campaign we switched to was a straight-up, good old fashioned D&D game. The GM only has the 3E rules, not the 3.5E, but he's been pretty cool about letting some of the 3.5 stuff in there. We started at level 1 (ugh), and I made a Sorcerer with a talking raven familiar (good fun for roleplaying), but we jumped into the module "Sunless Citadel" -- an old fashioned hack and slash. We just finished that, and are around level 4, but I kinda prefer the more roleplaying style stuff than the hack and slash... My wife, especially, is very attached to her halfling rogue chicky.

Anyway ... everyone seems pretty happy with these characters and this setting, but I know that one of the gamers has a Rolemaster idea cooking up, while my old college roommate has a funky 3.5E setting (more like Conan, low magic, etc.) kicking around in his brain. The current GM offered up an idea of letting him have a breather and asked if anyone wanted to run a one-shot game next time.

I had introduced the idea of a one-shot game that I would run a long time ago (using the devilishy fun All Flesh Must be Eaten zombie survival horror game, but without letting them know what game it is so that they're not all expecting zombies).

Now, my conundrum: I'm very rusty with rules, but none of these guys have this system to know whether or not I'm fudging on rules or whatever... should I take up the offer to run this one-shot game? Or should I leave it open for someone else, in which case the "one shot game" could cause us to derail into a whole new campaign and not return to this D&D campaign for a long while? The other important factor is that my wife is very attached to her halfling, and doesn't want to switch campaigns for a long time...

evil_twin.jpg

Well, looks like my one-shot AFMBE zombie horror game will be a go.

I'm kicking around ideas for the setting, and throwing together some generic looking Word doc character sheets which will (hopefully) not give away what the game's all about, to save some element of surprise.

It will be much more focused on the average person type thing rather than elite soldiers or the like. Reall horrorshow.

:thumbsup:

evil_twin.jpg

Dunno if I'm just talking to myself here or not, but...

The session was a great success. ;)

I like to GM (or ZM, "Zombie Master" in this case) in a more cinematic style. There's still plenty of dice-rolling and such, but I stuck with the fun goofy B-movie style and everyone had a blast.

And they actually all survived!

They were all on a bus, headed back to New Madrid (generic fictitious Americana big city), when the bus broke down and they stopped at a diner a few miles from a little town. A secret weirdo governmental goo spilled from a train derailment a few miles up the mountainside, and this creepy yellowish fog drifted down into the valley of the town and diner. A pileup on the highway caused by panicked, stampeding cattle created the first fodder of fresh zombie foes. And everyone was suitably creeped out by the reanimated rotting dog which had clawed its way out from the backyard burial behind the diner. Etc. etc.

Next up: SCI-FI!

My old college roommate will be running this one, sort of a "Starship Troopers meets Aliens" scenario.

evil_twin.jpg

Sounds good. I wouldn't have worried about the rules rustiness. as long as your creative juices are fresh and zesty the rules come a distant second.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Danke. :lol:

Yah, I'm not much of a rules-lawyer. Other gamers in our group are, though (heh, THREE of them are ACCOUNTANTS).

It was great that they didn't know the system I was using for the B-movie zombie style game; it made things go much more smoothly.

But, I kept some dice-rolling in there to make them happy. >_<

evil_twin.jpg