This gen vs. next gen

Epiphany

King Kong

Fair example, as it's a 5th generation current gen game, and a 1st gen next gen game. Look at the detail difference on the Xbox and Xbox 360 versions. Quite impressive when seen side by side.

Granted neither are the best work for their respective consoles, but it shows what similarly talented developers can do in a given timeframe with both generations with the exact same game.

Pixel shaders, different kinds of mapping etc. I have to agree with Potent. Big whoop.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

That's the crappiest screenshot from the Xbox version I've ever seen. 

Check out Gamespot to see what I mean.

Yeah it's pretty clear that there is a deliberate attempt to play up the graphical difference in favour of the 360 version. Probably so you feel the need to spend

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The Xbox has a friggin Geforce3 GPU, what do you think? Lo-res, no AA, obsolete graphics

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Wow, the Xbox textures look really terrible. I'm pretty sure a GF3 can easily handle higher-res textures than that. Honestly, the X360 screenshot also doesn't look that impressive. You could probably get something like that off a 9800Pro.

Handling and outputting it are two different things. X360 one is in 720p, the other, at best, is from a 480p feed. Just because the GPU is capable of handling higher resolution textures, doesn't mean the entire console can do it. There are only a couple of games that are higher than 480p on the Xbox, so the actual, undoctored differences between this current gen and next gen are staggering. Add to the draw distance, talent of the developers, etc...

Just because someone is working on a game for a console doesn't mean it's using all of the consoles power.

Those are both in game screenshots, and the only available comparison between the two systems as the screenshot is from the exact same place and angle.

Those are both in game screenshots, and the only available comparison between the two systems as the screenshot is from the exact same place and angle.

So why is the quality of one degraded by having rain in it and not the other ?

Anyway if that is what the Xbox version will look like buy the GC version it looks better and it runs really smooth too.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

There is a difference, yes, but nothing of any significance.  I don't play games for the graphics.  I play games for their story.

I agree. Aren't next gen games supposed to be better by leaps and bounds and whatnot?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I agree. Aren't next gen games supposed to be better by leaps and bounds and whatnot?

Oh my god... Are you really that dense, or are you just trying to fit in.

I can simply name one game from next gen, that's untouchable by current generation offerings.

Gears of War

That's only a 1st gen X360 title, and it blows everything shown to date away. Especially if you've taken the time to watch the HD trailer, that actually shows the gameplay, in 1280x720 resolution.

:blink:

It does, if you watch the new HD trailer.  The camera is simply rotated.

The game looks better since it was shown at E3...

Still looks like they applied something to lighten it up. The trailers kind of dark.

Yes, but the WoW factor is tied to your TV.

478327[/snapback]

For god sakes. Epihpany is right, there is a difference, and YES the 360's graphics out do the current gen...but, admittedly, not by "leaps and bounds".

GoW is prettier than Colossus. End of story. There's more detail, higher resolution, and basically just all around superior visual quality. It's sharp too...unlike current gen games that want to appear graphically enhanced, who almost routinely apply a blurring affect.

However...on the whole, this isn't all that impressive......any of it. I like the pretty graphics and all, (not more than story, except in extreme cases) but the difference is just too small for the amount of time it's been.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast