Lost in Blue

I'll wager a guess that the reviewer may be female...

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I'll wager a guess that the reviewer may be female...

No it's a bloke. Or at least it's a blokes name.

I'm still trying to figure out how he got the stuff in his comment from Keith accidently stepping on her glasses..

The way it reads it's like he poked her in the eyes with a stick or something. I find him a lot more sinister than the game.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Interesting................well, not really. Just mildy amusing.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Sound quite a bit like Lost Vikings(old PC/NES puzzler), both that and this game had predetermined roles for all the characters in which they excelled and so forth. About the gender roles et al: well, I can't help but to disagree with the reviewer's view. One could say that opinions can't be debated, but I didn't find it just to downgrade the review result because of the roles. I mean; man strong, woman weak, cook, hunt etc are very relevant archetypes in modern society still and, no matter how much criticized, lie under our little "equality"-ruse. I think that the reviewer just reads too much in to this. Of course, one could say that gaming is a medium so visible that it needs this kind of delving into, but I believe the reviewer should just relax.

Edit: If someone finds this offending...my english skills failed to deliver somewhere halfway around the post. Might sound a bit boorish.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Sound quite a bit like Lost Vikings(old PC/NES puzzler), both that and this game had predetermined roles for all the characters in which they excelled and so forth. About the gender roles et al: well, I can't help but to disagree with the reviewer's view. One could say that opinions can't be debated, but I didn't find it just to downgrade the review result just because of the roles. I mean; man strong, woman weak, cook, hunt etc are very relevant archetypes in modern society still and, no matter how much criticized, lie under our little "equality"-ruse. I think that the reviewer just reads too much in to this. Of course, one could say that gaming is a medium so visible that it needs this kind of delving into, but I believe the reviewer should just relax.

I agree. I think it's quite clear the reviewer never intended to give the game a fair shake.

For example can anyone think of a more natural control method for fire lighting than alternating left and right to increase the speed of your stick and then blowing on the embers to get it to light ?

Likewise, yes it's true the game is really tight on time. But it wouldnt be a survival game if you could potter around all day would it ? Once you get familiar with the island and make some new tools that pressure disapears which is again bang on for a surval game.

She's alos not quite the victim shes made out to be. True she cant move around, but thats because her glasses are broken rather than anything intrinsic. She also orders Keith around telling him to make furniture for the cave and stuff like that.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Heres another interesting one from someone who obviously missed the "survival" part of the game.

It seems adventure games are few and far between these days, yielding to all the FPS and RTS titles out there today. So I really did want to like this game, but I just couldn't. There's too much micromanagement and multi-management involved for my tastes. I couldn't get absorbed into the story because this little whiner of an antagonist kept ruining the moment for me. "I'm hungry!" "I'm thirsty!" OK, let's get you some food. Ok, that's done with, now we need to get you some water. Wait, you don't have enough energy to get to the shore? Uh-oh, you're hungry again? Oh, you're dying now. You're dead.

I restarted the game a few times, trying to make my paths to various spots on the beach more efficient time-wise, but to no avail. Once I got his basic needs taken care of, it was time to get some sleep in the cave, but he wouldn't because there was no fire. Running about trying to find twigs ran his hunger and thirst levels up; you can imagine what happened shortly thereafter. I finally managed to get him to sleep, but the next day it was the same story: I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, I'm dying of starvation! Oh, and once you find the girl, then you have TWO kids to babysit. No thank you.

It's a good thing this was a rental. I would've been really disappointed if I had purchased this game. Sorry, Konami, but thumbs down. Next time, let the player focus more on the characters, story, and exploration, rather than all this business of hunting down food and water every five minutes.

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/adventure/survi...ds/readers.html

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

All the same it sounds pretty tedious.

The bottom review on the page is the best one.

It's not really tedious but it wont appeal to everyone. Its like a more intense Harvest Moon in some respects. But it does have a very steep learning curve. Make the wrong choices and you will have to do way more work to keep alive than you really need to.

"That's it in a nutshell, the basics of the game. Where yo go and how you survive is entirely up to you. Everything you do through the process of the game will effect the ending. The island is fairly large with lots of areas to explore and a few puzzles to figure out in order to access other areas".

478327[/snapback]

I must confess I skimmed over the first few reviews, as they were too long for my attention span on this topic. I take it the game is some sort of adventure game hybridized with a strategy game, played in first person?

A bit like the old Infocom detective adventure series (Witness, et al) with hit points?

Hmm. I give them points for trying ... not sure how much fun it would be ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I must confess I skimmed over the first few reviews, as they were too long for my attention span on this topic. I take it the game is some sort of adventure game hybridized with a strategy game, played in first person?

Not exactly.

It's a survival RPG/Adventure with the focus shifting from survival to exploration after you "equip your base".

Some of the action sequences are first person, but travel is more overhead.

478327[/snapback]