The Useless Information Thread II

Rosbjerg

Teehee :D

Im surprised how long this thread is lasting...

then check http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=32899&hl= the first thread reached 74 pages before closure!

:rolleyes:

(damn seems I used that Spider-thing to start the first thread with as well! :"> )

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

^Half of those end up in the internet. They're called opinions.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Hmm, right. Bolzanos Theorem, a useless mathematical theorem:

For two real a and b , a < b , and a function f that is continuous on a closed interval [a , b ] such that f(a) and f(b) are of opposite signs, there exists a number x0 belonging to the interval [a , b ] with f(x0) =0.

This basically means that if you have a continuous function (the graph of the function isn't "broken" anywhere) in 2 dimensions with one point below the x-axis and one point above the x-axis, then that function will cross the x-axis somewhere. Hard to imagine huh?

Edited by draakh_kimera

Hmm, right.  Bolzanos Theorem, a useless mathematical theorem:

For two real a  and b , a  < b , and a function f  that is continuous on a closed interval [a , b ] such that f(a)  and f(b)  are of opposite signs, there exists a number x0  belonging to the interval [a , b ] with f(x0) =0.

This basically means that if you have a continuous function (the graph of the function isn't "broken" anywhere) in 2 dimensions with one point below the x-axis and one point above the x-axis, then that function will cross the x-axis somewhere.  Hard to imagine huh?

This is the best useless theorem I have ever heard. :shifty:

Edited by Akhan225

I tried for about five seconds to come up with a good layman's terms example, and got this:

If 7-11 and Starbucks are on opposite sides of the street, and you walk from 7-11 to Starbucks, at some point you're going to cross the street.

I'm sure someone's going to point out that no, you could just walk all the way around the earth to the Starbucks without crossing the street, or some equally pedantic argument, but I just have this to say: I took one (required) math class my freshman year of college, and I'm doing alright, despite the fact that I can barely remember how to do long division by hand anymore.

Useless information: Baker and Bellis determined that there are different types of sperm... these are known as:

1. Egg-getters... I think their job is obvious

2. Blockers... their job is to literally block and prevent any other man's sperm from reaching the egg

3. Kamikaze... they use chemical weapons (called the acrosomal reaction) to attack any other man

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

I for one find that piece of information interesting.

And your signature's length is still abhorable.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Triskaidekaphobia - the fear of the number 13.

Your toothbrush is one of the dirtiest items in your bathroom (germ-wise)

Elephants are one of the only animals aside from humans known to show fear when seeing bones of their own kind.

Edited by Mothman

I for one find that piece of information interesting.

And your signature's length is still abhorable.

I guess what our Evo. lecturer teaches us is interesting but what most of it has to do with Psychology, no one knows :(

I've got lots of random information from his lectures that I could post on here ;)

DL

P.S. Stop being a pansy about my sig. :thumbsup:

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

Hmm, right.  Bolzanos Theorem, a useless mathematical theorem:

For two real a  and b , a  < b , and a function f  that is continuous on a closed interval [a , b ] such that f(a)  and f(b)  are of opposite signs, there exists a number x0  belonging to the interval [a , b ] with f(x0) =0.

This basically means that if you have a continuous function (the graph of the function isn't "broken" anywhere) in 2 dimensions with one point below the x-axis and one point above the x-axis, then that function will cross the x-axis somewhere.  Hard to imagine huh?

Wow...what can you say to that? :luck:"