Recycling Jefferson as a NWN2 expansion

ramza

Heya!

Long time no see... I have been busy over the last few months but I keep coming here occasionally.

Since NWN2's release date is getting closer, I thought that expansion packs would probably follow. With the addition of J.E. Sawyer among the Obsidian crew, it would be nice if the Jefferson project's (aka BG3: The Black Hound) characters, plot and setting were used in a future expansion.

The Mystary engine used for Jefferson has become too obsolete to be used today, but with the new engine used for NWN2 this game could become a reality. It would be a shame if at least the concept of Jefferson (see the FAQ written by sammael) was not used in another game.

I hope that Sawyer will manifest an interest in producing the game he was never able to complete.

Cheers.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

The best way to know if Interplay still has the property rights on the Jefferson project is to ask a lawyer. As I studied law in France, I know that unfinished projects are protected by intellectual property rights only under some conditions. Only creations are fully protected by the law (a creation is the "effective and concrete materialisation of the author's concepts and ideas"). Consequently, in order to be protected, an unfinished project has to exist in some kind of material form (electronic file, paper, etc).

Now, I don't know how it works in the US but it would be interesting if Obsidian could use the concepts of Jefferson in one of its own games. It all depends on what Sawyer did while he was working at Interplay... did he write the scenario on paper or in electronic format or did he just keep everything in his mind? Concerning the character portraits and other concept drawings, maybe Obsidian could buy them from Interplay (unless they already have done so).

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Hell, the Aurora Engine is too obsolete to be used today but they are anyway.  I doubt that is a possibility since that material is still owned by Interplay.  SUre, they can't do anything with it, but Interplay still owns the stuff.

Who owns Interply?

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Some stupid french guy... I guess that tells everything...

The best way to know if Interplay still has the property rights on the Jefferson project is to ask a lawyer. As I studied law in France, I know that unfinished projects are protected by intellectual property rights only under some conditions. Only creations are fully protected by the law (a creation is the "effective and concrete materialisation of the author's concepts and ideas"). Consequently, in order to be protected, an unfinished project has to exist in some kind of material form (electronic file, paper, etc).

Now, I don't know how it works in the US but it would be interesting if Obsidian could use the concepts of Jefferson in one of its own games. It all depends on what Sawyer did while he was working at Interplay... did he write the scenario on paper or in electronic format or did he just keep everything in his mind? Concerning the character portraits and other concept drawings, maybe Obsidian could buy them from Interplay (unless they already have done so).

The problem is that most of the stuff that sounded awesome about Jefferson had nothing to do with the story and was all engine stuff, such as the epithets and such. Anyway, if NWN2 is as big a success as we all hope, maybe they'll be able to secure BG3 after they're done with their own IP.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Stop looking at me through those rose-coloured glasses!

what the hell???? :blink:

It's Jefferson.  I'd best beware Ramza.

You never know. I'm sure some elements of it will make it into NwNII whether or not people realise they are elements of Jefferson , well thats another matter.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I wonder if OE is going to release any expansions for NWN2, it doesnt seem like Feragie-style to do so.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I wonder if OE is going to release any expansions for NWN2, it doesnt seem like Feragie-style to do so.

Why is that?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

It's Jefferson.  I'd best beware Ramza.

You never know. I'm sure some elements of it will make it into NwNII whether or not people realise they are elements of Jefferson , well thats another matter.

Possibly.

And I doubt Jefferson could be done properly as an expansion. T'would have to be a full blown game.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Well, there is nothing to stop you from making a Jefferson module yourself in the editor. Provided you would be able to get all the info on J's story etc.

I doubt the bancrupt remnant that is Iply today would be able to do anything about it and in alot of countries it would be completely legal unless you charged money for it

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I forgot who it was specifically, Brian maybe Sawyer, but I read somewhere in the NWN2 forum that they alluded to creating expansions for NWN2 depending on its success.

Tsel >_<

Yes...yes he is...

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta