icewind dale like game

bishr_adi

i enjoyed icewind dale II and the heart of winter expansion more than any other game i played. i was wondering if Obsidian will be making similar games.

the richness of the graphics is unmatched, i guess because it is not 100% 3d. the infinity engine is really great. will it be used in the future?

also, the music is excellent and combined with the other aspects of the game is very engaging and atmospheric.

one last thing i remember liking about the icewind dale is how you can set the resolution to very high values, although it does say it is experimental.

have a nice day everyone.

I just completed Icewind Dale myself for the first time about two weeks ago. I am trying to learn to appreciate the IE so I can finally complete that godawful mess they call Planescape: Torment..

The Infinity Engine will most likely not be used in any new games. It's kind of obsolete technology now and I would think developers have moved past it since. Which is kind of odd, considering how many people seem to be craving another IE-game.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

A lot of fans out there for those good old 2D games. I prefer them over 3D games myself.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I keep trying to get into Temple of Elemental Evil.  It's just not drawing me in, but maybe I just haven't made the right group yet.  I had the same trouble with Wizardry 5.

It

Edited by Ellester

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

TOEE is horribly boring.

If there is an IWD it will be in name only. I dont think people will go for a game where you have to create your own characters.

NwN II should give them a pretty good springboard for all sorts of D&D stuff should they wish to follow that route.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I just completed Icewind Dale myself for the first time about two weeks ago. I am trying to learn to appreciate the IE so I can finally complete that godawful mess they call Planescape: Torment..

Not going to happen If the story and the characters don't grab then the rest of the game is pretty lacklustre.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

:blink:

You just did not dissed PS:T. You just didn't dissed the best Infinity Engine game, the best DnD game, ever made did you?!?!

Grrrr... :ph34r:

Nope, it was more of an utterly talentless attempt at trolling ;))

...well, it worked anyways; here come the Most Holy Defenders of PS:T...Messiah (roshan) can lead this charge, though; I'm not up to it at the present time (fiancee was pregnant, but lost the baby :thumbsup: )...

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

...well, it worked anyways; here come the Most Holy Defenders of PS:T...Messiah (roshan) can lead this charge, though; I'm not up to it at the present time (fiancee was pregnant, but lost the baby  :thumbsup: )...

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

Sorry to hear that

478327[/snapback]

"Toee has the best combat in any game,"

Correction. It has the best combat SYSTEM of any game. Sadly, the combat itself was lacklustre. Lack of spellcasting enemies, lack of sneak attacking enemies (anyone who hasa fought enemy rogues in NWN can attest how deadly that can be), heck lack of varity in enemies, lack of any tatics (even worse than NWN as bugbears running pass 4 warriors to get to the mage way in the back and getting hit by multiple AOOs is NOT good tatics) really hurt what is basically a dungeon crawl.

As for IWD series. IWD1 was very good for a dungeon crawl. IWD2 needs to be thrown down a toilet bowl, and flushed.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

i enjoyed icewind dale II and the heart of winter expansion more than any other game i played. i was wondering if Obsidian will be making similar games.

the richness of the graphics is unmatched, i guess because it is not 100% 3d. the infinity engine is really great. will it be used in the future?

also, the music is excellent and combined with the other aspects of the game is very engaging and atmospheric.

one last thing i remember liking about the icewind dale is how you can set the resolution to very high values, although it does say it is experimental.

have a nice day everyone.

Oh Icewind Dale how I love you but I doubt you'll see another one anytime soon. I started a topic about IWD3 (about a year ago)and if it would be made. http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=13486&hl=

This is what Feargus said

I wouldn't mind making an Icewind Dale 3.  Atari would have to want the product though and I'm not sure if they are interested in continuing that brand.  I should ask though, since I haven't yet.

Having said that, I would like us, Obsidian, to create our own world soon as well.  I would bet that would come before us doing an Icewind Dale 3.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

For IWD, no. For Baldur's Gate, I have no clue. Anywho I thought PST was pretty good.

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

:thumbsup:

You just did not dissed PS:T.  You just didn't dissed the best Infinity Engine game, the best DnD game, ever made did you?!?!

Grrrr...  :ph34r:

Don't forget the best story on any medium, and quite possbily the best computer game of all time (with maybe the exception of the first Fallout)! :cool:

manthing2.jpg

Fallout was pretty decent.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

PST seems to be one of those games you love or get bored/frustrated with.  Anyway is TOEE worth a whirl if there's not much else to play?  How's it before and after its patch?  Input please.

Without the patch: Almost unplayable.

With the official patches: Still kinda crappy but a lot better.

With the official patches and fan-made patches from co8.org (note, only the bugfixes are taken into account, not the mods): Playable if you don't mind playing a game with horrible writing, even worse voice acting (forunately not all lines are acted) and with a story so shallow it may not even be there.

The game (imo) is great when it comes to character development and combat. While combat could have been more difficult if the enemies had been smarter, I still think it was fun once you learned what all the options did. But if you don't like the combat, then the game has nothing to offer.