Possible Geforce 7800 GT issue

Hiya, this is my first post here and I am having trouble of a sort with KOTOR 2. I recently got back from Iraq and upgraded my system to a new Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, ASUS A8N-E nForce4 AMD Motherboard, and a XFX Geforce 7800GT 256MB video card. I installed KOTOR2, and start it up, and I already notice some problems when I get into the main menu. The guy in the main menu is stuttering at a breakneck pace. Same thing happens in character creation. When I start the main game and go into the Ebon Hawk. All of the character textures are replaced with darkness. There are also other graphics/ texture problems as well. And to top it all off, the character doesn't seem to want to move.

I tried the game on my friends computer and no problems. I also had problems with other games (Far- Cry looked fine but played fast, WAY TOO FAST). I updated the drivers and made sure all my games were patched, but nothing changed. I noticed when I did the system scan for KOTOR2 it said that my video card only met the requirements, didn't meet the recommend specifications. I sent my card back to new egg thinking it was defective. That didn't do much good, because I am having the same problems with the new card as I did before. Could it be due to driver issues since it is a new card, or maybe an issue with the dual core processors? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

I also have 7800GT (BFG though) and kotor plays fine for me i'm afraid :/

I've had the problem with KOTOR thinking my graphics card didnt meet reccomended a a few times with different cards, i wouldnt worry about it.

I would try setting everything to minimum, including your graphics card settings for things like image quality and buffering. Just incase one of the options causes problems.

Far cry running too fast isnt a problem, it just means either the frame limiter isnt working, or you dont have enough detail turned on to make the game slower :-

Sorry i cant be of more help.

I tried a fresh install and the drivers from Tweaks R Us. Neither worked. So, I sent an e-mail to LucasArts Tech support to see if they can help. I am also going to try a few more games to see if this is a general issue. Thanks for all you guys help, BTW. It was worth a try.

I will check out the forums on Tweaks R US.

Blazewamp - I have had problems on multiple games. Far-Cry, Half-Life 2, Rome:Total War, and GTA:San Andreas all ran at hyper-fast speeds. I don't know how to explain it other then it is like playing Ultima 5 on a modern rig. It was literally that fast. Cutscenes would go by so fast that you would only see one or two sceens. Many of the controls refused to move at all. I am thinking maybe it could be an issue with the dual core processor as I can't think of anything else.

I have a GForce 5400 and have noticed that my game slows to a crawl when there is vapor or smoke onscreen. The character seems to get stuck, spinning around in circles, etc. and finally stops responding. It's almost like the vapor or smoke is reading as a physical object, and clipping issues occur. The only way to get control back is to save the game, exit and restart. At all other times, the game runs very smoothly. I've tried different combinations of resolution and other video options, updated the drivers, etc to no avail.

Anybody have any advice about this?

I have  a GForce 5400 and have noticed that my game slows to a crawl when there is vapor or smoke onscreen.  The character seems to get stuck, spinning around in circles, etc. and finally stops responding.  It's almost like the vapor or smoke is reading as a physical object, and clipping issues occur.  The only way to get control back is to save the game, exit and restart. At all other times, the game runs very smoothly.  I've tried different combinations of resolution and other video options, updated the drivers, etc to no avail.

Anybody have any advice about this?

What driver version you use with your video-card?

It seems that the last good version for my GeForce FX5900XT card (and all FX series card, and probably the older cards also) is nVidia's ForceWare version 66.93 for XP! The newest drivers than that version are causing trouble (including slowdowns) in many 3D games, not only in KotOR 1&2! And I have heard many people with cards older that the GeForce6 series getting to the same conclusion in different forums on Internet, so my video-card it's not guilty for these symptoms!

I have problems in the past in both KotOR games with all nVidia GeForce drivers that I have tested, starting with the version 67.03, so I am using again the 66.93 and both KotOR's are running much smoothly than with the newest drivers! I mention that I run both KotOR's with all graphics settings enabled and at max level: 1600x1200@75Hz, 8xAA & 8xAF, FrameBuffer Effects & Soft Shadows both enabled.

My PC's configuration:

- CPU: AMD Athlon XP Barton 3200+ 2.2GHz FSB 400

- MB: Asus A7N8X with nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset (with nVidia's 5.10 version nForce driver)

- RAM: 2*256 MB DDR 400MHz Corsair in DualChannel 2-3-2-6 latency

- Video-Card: MSI's GeForce FX5900XT with 128 MB DDR (390MHz GPU & 700MHz DDR, initially with nVidia's latest GeForce driver all times, finally with the 66.93 version)

- Sound-Card: Creative Audigy2ZS

• 2 months later...

it's a dual core issue 100% (as in it uses 100% of both CPU's)

i have:

AMD Athlon64 x2 4200+

Asus nForce4 Ultra

BFG GeForce 7800GTX

2GB OCZ DDR400 Platinum

Creative X-Fi

on my Logitech G15 keyboard, it has a monitor for CPU/RAM, and it montiors each core seperately, and when this game loads, it uses 100% of both CPU's. so it's definately an issue with the dual core, and it seems that a lot of poorly written games cannot support modern systems. i have no issues with newer games such as Civ4, WoW, AoE3, or Dungeon Siege II.

plus the game doesn't support widescreen, which is a shame, all 3D non-sprite games should support various resolutions, such as 1920x1200 (my default).