SAVE STAR WARS RPG!!!

Nur Ab Sal

WOTC announced that will not produce any sourcebooks and other supplements for pen&paper Star Wars RPG, and their entire franchise effort will go to incredibly stupid Star Wars Miniatures. Lucasfilm approved this decision cause minis generate great income for them. So minis just replaced SW RPG and

it doesn't break the licence agreement.

Here's is semi-official info for Living Force players only (we always get infos sooner than rest), but soon WOTC will announce it officially.

From: RPGA-LivingForce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:RPGA-LivingForce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of August Hahn

Sent: 07 October 2005 07:35

To: RPGA-LivingForce@yahoogroups.com

Subject: [RPGA-LivingForce] The Fate of Living Force - OFFICIAL

Dear readers and players,

[...]Wizards of the Coast has no interest in pursuing the Star Wars

license agreement with LucasFilm beyond its Miniatures product

line. This final decision came only very recently, which is why

there has been such a delay in an announcement. With no roleplaying

products coming out or scheduled, the roleplaying organized play

division (the RPGA) will not support a second campaign set in the

Star Wars universe.[...]

That means that great adventure that began in 1987 with WEG's first supplements ends now. I've never liked WOTC anyway, cause they never put half of enthusiasm that WEG put into Star Wars. They always treated SW RPG as one of many systems in their endless line, they were always assigning insufficient number of employees to it, and were lazy in publishing the books. Howewer some support for the system existed. To be honest their sourcebooks

weren't so bad (Ultimate Adversaries, Dark Side Sourcebook, Galactic Campaign Guide or Hero's Guide) and with phenomenal success of KotOR first

Star Wars CRPG, we all hoped that WOTC will have anough brains to exploit the popularity of the latter for further development of the system. And we now left with nothing.

The problem is not that SW sourcebooks weren't selling good - they were selling not good enough to satisfy greedy corporate white collars. I liked D20 system and

I'd really like to see it fully supported and alive. And I am not alone.

If you care you can sign petition to WOTC to not terminate SW RPG permanently.

You can do it HERE but during signing you must give your real name and surname (and email of course)

The Petition must hit at least 10000 signs to be considered serious by WOTC so there's a long way ahead of us. That's why players like me are announcing the petition on every possible board.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

SW RPG is just friggin' Dungeons & Dragons in space.. they lost it looong ago when they ditched the GURPS rules in favor of d20

To hell with it I say.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

SW RPG is just friggin'  Dungeons & Dragons in space.. they lost it looong ago when they ditched the GURPS rules in favor of d20

To hell with it I say.

Fine, except that SW never used the GURPS rules. It was using its own D6 system. Except for the fact that they both only use D6s, they have nothing in common.

Edited by Ellie

Fine, except that SW never used the GURPS rules.  It was using its own D6 system.  Except for the fact that they both only use D6s, they have nothing in common.

I blame my youth and the fact that it was very mysteriously and a rather poorly translated Swedish SW D6 rpg I played :blink:"

(although it wasnt as bad as the LotR translation which made the game completely unplayable as a good chunk of the rules where left out. yet another proof than localisation&translation is evil.)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Agreed. Sorry Nurbs.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Is the value of a setting nowadays measured by the amount of crap that gets released on it's wing? :D

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

How so? Right now WotC has been gathering the licenses from all those settings that they licensed out to other publishers such as Ravenloft and Gamma World back into itself. Also they are dropping settings, such as Star Wars, that they don't have sole propriety on.

I think the d20 System is going to get sold to a new publisher and/or it is going under a major overhaul. In either case the d20 System had made a major impact on the market and shook things up. It got a lot of non-gamers into gaming which it was its purpose.

I, myself, have moved on from the d20 System and now experimenting with Fuzion. I just can't wait til Thursday.

WotC sucks. All they do is screw up good gaming systems.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Shoo fanboiii, shoo.

kirottu said:

They f*cked up TSR when they bought them out. What do we have from that rules 3.5? >_<

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

But they do have the licence up to 2010, so the fate of SW RPG is in their hands for few next years. And I'd like to see some material covering the KOTOR games.

Unless you're patient zen master and don't give a sh... you should just sign. Nobody will get hurt by that selfless act. >_<

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

Thing is, I don't like Star Wars.

Masterrevan, we have the OGL for the d20 System which happened to be the springboard of several game publishing companies that revitalized the dying market. If it wasn't for WotC the RPG market would be deader than a can of spam.

WotC sucks.

Thank you. Someone agrees with me. :thumbsup:

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

WotC sucks.

Thank you. Someone agrees with me. :thumbsup:

I also agree with both of you, but I am a pragmatic. WOTC will hold the licence until 2010 and they will kill SW RPG if we don't do something.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

Subliminal messages, yo!

Edit: Signed, yo!

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

They f*cked up TSR when they bought them out. What do we have from that rules 3.5?  :)

Think what you will of WotC, but that's not true. When WotC bought TSR, TSR was on the brink of going under. There was no money left in the company. Then they turned the company around, partially by renegotiating with the creative people that were at odds with TSR (there is a reason AD&D is called ADVANCED D&D instead of second edition).

I'm not saying WotC is the best thing to happen to gaming, but they did save TSR and 3E D&D was definitely a step in the right direction.

WotC took a turn for the worse when they got bought up by Hasbro though.