SAVE STAR WARS RPG!!!

Nur Ab Sal

As far as the plan with the d20 system goes, I'd agree with you. Killing diversity is a bad thing. But at the same time a product that allows other developers to focus on content rather than rules has positive effects as well. So I'm a little ambivalent when it comes to the whole d20 concept.

Oh yes. Having a rules system as a base that developers can then write campaigns for is not a bad idea per se. I'd never want that system to be the only out there, no matter how good it was, but a common ground is not a terrible idea. To me the problem is that if there was to be such as universally accepted system as a base, then d20 is about the last game system that should be used, as it is one of the most rigid and inflexible gaming systems I've seen in the last decade.

However, when I said 3e rules was a step in the right direction I meant for the D&D franchise specifically. I think that the 3e rules are a vast improvement over 2e, if for nothing else they are much easier to get into.

Well, I still play 2e, so you know I won't agree there. And just to be fair - I did at least try 3e before I just stole the few good bits (few though they were) and then flushed the rest...

Well, I still play 2e, so you know I won't agree there. And just to be fair - I did at least try 3e before I just stole the few good bits (few though they were) and then flushed the rest...

To each their own. Although I can't really argue the superiority of 3e since I've hardly ever played it. Nor have I played that much 2e. To be honest I think both systems are pretty much crap (this is from my perspective, based on how I play rpgs when I do). I do like the 3e rules better than 2e, but not enough to really want to use them.

What I don't like about the d20 System I simply change into something I do like. I have played many systems. From Rifts to Rolemaster, from Shadowrun to Fuzion, and there hasn't been a single RPG rules system that can handle my campaigns better than the d20 System.

What I don't like about the d20 System I simply change into something I do like.  I have played many systems.  From Rifts to Rolemaster, from Shadowrun to Fuzion, and there hasn't been a single RPG rules system that can handle my campaigns better than the d20 System.

And why is that? And what type of d20 are you using? The differance between the D&D and the SW systems are quite noticable(SW's are much better:-")

Personally, I find the d20 system far too abstract and illogic for my purpouses.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

To each their own. Although I can't really argue the superiority of 3e since I've hardly ever played it. Nor have I played that much 2e. To be honest I think both systems are pretty much crap (this is from my perspective, based on how I play rpgs when I do). I do like the 3e rules better than 2e, but not enough to really want to use them.

Oh, agreed - 2e and 3e are both pretty crappy systems next to some of the games out there. And I do agree that 3e is better organized than 2e - I just don't think it's a decade of development better. 3e could and should have been an infinitely better game than it turned out to be. Rigid rules and fixed classes were okay in the late 80s when 2e came out. It's not an acceptable principle today.

The primary function of a manufacturer of RPGs is to make and supply the public with the best possible RPGs they can make.

Except when they came out with 3rd edition rules for D&D. To me that is a step backwords. Far too much freedom with races/classes. I like the race restriction that 2e did when it came to picking a class.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

• 4 weeks later...