Lakers are gonna pwn this year!

Bokishi

They will forever be one of those teams that was just a victim of a dynasty (Knicks in the Jordan era)

Yeah, they missed their chance(s).

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

They will forever be one of those teams that was just a victim of a dynasty (Knicks in the Jordan era)

Are Shaq's Lakers truly a dynasty though? I always thought it takes at least four or five championships.

A threepeat is very impressive but doesn't it fall a little short comparing to what the Bulls, 80s Lakers or Russell's Celtics have done?

Are Shaq's Lakers truly a dynasty though? I always thought it takes at least four or five championships.

A threepeat is very impressive but doesn't it fall a little short comparing to what the Bulls, 80s Lakers or Russell's Celtics have done?

In todays modern market? I'd say 3 is a dynasty. But I agree it's open to debate.

Sure, it doesn't compare to the legendary teams, but a dynasty none the less.

Its hard to say with any certainty who will be good, I mean even the Knicks and Clippers seem pretty good on paper.

The Rockets look like they'll knock the Spurs off this year, I'm thinking its going to be them and possible Indiana if Ron Artest can stop from being a "wild animal" this year. Thats a really huge if, that guy is battie

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Pff...the Rockets can't beat the Spurs.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Thats just it, Dirk can't score 40 on the Rockets, he had trouble getting 20+ in the playoffs. If the Rockets hadn't been so slow on the perimeter last year they would have easily won that series, anyway the Mavs are on the way down. As for Van Exel, we'll see, he has a history of creating alot of animosity in locker rooms and Finley is old, and never much liked to play defense anyway, now he specializes in the olay type defending, we'll see how well that sits with Popovich.

The Suns are going to have to play real hard not to get in a huge hole right out of the gate, and even when Amare returns (maybe 4monthes if he's extremely luckly), there isn't a real good history for players after his type of injury, Chris Webber, Alan Houston, basic gimps. Combining that with the departure of Joe Johnson, and the Suns pretty much had the worse offseason ever.

The East really is the Heat, Pacers, and Pistons and then everyone else. We'll see if LeBron can really elevate a team this year. The West is pretty wide open, say what you will about the Spurs, but they still have Rasho Nesteravic(sp?) in the middle, and Bruce Bowen trying to shoot on the perimeter, they're very beatable. Plus Manu Ginobili's flops where so ridiculious in the finals last year I thought I was watching the Stockton/Malone Utah Jazz games for awhile. If there's one thing I can't stand in basketball its people falling down acting like they got hurt, leave that for the European Football players, and Jr. Highschool hockey teams.

The West seems to have the Spurs, Rockets, Mavs, and maybe the Suns on top, but the other four teams will be really interesting. I loved the way Seattle played last year, but they didn't really seem to get better, perhaps worse? And how is it that Denver had the 7 seed? I'm sure George Karl will have them competing for atleast a top five seed. Memohis has alot of players that don't stink, but no one who is really good. Minnesota has the best player on the planet, but then who? Marko Juric, and Wally Szerbiak. The Kings will probaly do as always, win a ton of games in the regular season, and then get beat up by a tougher more physical team in the playoffs. And to make matters worse they went and got Bonzi Wells. Whats really crazy is I see Golden State really doing well this year

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

2 things:

1. How does anyone think that the Mavs will be able to compete this year? They will make the playoffs, but they won't have a serious shot.

2. You guys do know that Amare Stoudemire is out till Feb

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ahlj...ov=st&type=lgns

I think the Kings will kinda take the place of the Mavs as the dark horse playoff team.

Oh btw, I really do like what the Bulls did in the offseason. I had said many times that out of the two, I would sign Chandler over Curry, before the heart condition, and afterwards it makes even more sense. It will be good to see Hinrich will be a star and playing him next to Gordon will make the Bulls a pretty potent team in the backcourt. If Deng can come back healthy, he should really help with the scoring they lost with Curry. If nothing else Sweetney and Chandler should be difficult to rebound against, and should be able to get some points on offensive rebounding and putbacks.

The worse thing for Phoenix with the injury is that it almost forces them to make a trade to get more offense, desperate teams never get good value during trades. Plus a team that didn't play defense that well loses its best defender in the lowblock, and he'll probaly never be able to be as explosive as he once was, if other players suffering the same injury are any indication

2. You guys do know that  Amare Stoudemire is out till Feb

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ahlj...ov=st&type=lgns

Whoa. Smells like disaster for the Suns. Too bad they might have to wait yet another year for the title; they were definitely the most enjoyable team to watch last year.

If Dirk gets his defense and passing game down, he's easily the next Larry Bird or perhaps even better? The guy is a scoring machine against anyone (Come on, a 7 feet tall three point shooter who could also take the ball to the hole.) He's the best scoring big man in the West now that Amare's out. He's even rebounding better. (Better than Yao already, who plays down the middle. Even though Yao is my homeboy, I have to ask: WTF?) Anyhoo, I say the Mavs are good enough to finish in top 4 for another year, especially now that the Suns are crippled for half of the season. (Personally, I think Amare is probably just as important as Nash for the Suns. Without him, they are going to have trouble getting 50-50 in the West just like when they lost Nash.)

If Dirk gets his defense and passing game down, he's easily the next Larry Bird or perhaps even better?

Who is he going to pass it to? ;)

The Mavs ARE Dirk, and in the NBA, thats not good enough. As Kobe is finding out.

The Mavs will get the 7th or 8th spot. Maybe miss out with the 9th.

Haven't they got some young talent on the rise and Eric Dampier (spelling?) this time for the whole year, who is the self-proclaimed best center in the West?

Did the Mavs lose any other key pieces other than Finley? I remember they had a much better record than the Sonics last year. Why would you believe that they would slip so much?

Edited by julianw

Did the Mavs lose any other key pieces other than Finley? I remember they had a much better record than the Sonics last year. Why would you believe that they would slip so much?

Finley has carried them through so many playoff games, especially last year when Dirk couldn't buy a bucket, that I can't see Dallas going anywhere but down.