1up reviews Shadow of the Colossus

Epiphany

This game will remind you of why you play video games in the first place. No game makes you soar as high, sink as low, or feel as small as Shadow does, and that equals sheer adrenaline. Not the kind generated by zombies lurking around corners, or being run down by gangstas in a drive-by, but the sort of well-rounded emotional package that could exist only in a world like this. This is virtual reality, this is the great escape, this is a game that takes you somewhere you've never been before, Ico or no Ico. It's a game that dares you to exhilarate while hammering you with consequence. In short, Shadow of the Colossus breaks storytelling barriers none of us knew existed. It's the rare game for which the often overused words "ground-breaking" were truly reserved for, and it's enough to make you regret every stupid coin you ever collected. There's more to gaming than rote clich

Can someone who will play the game fill me in on it? I'm not going to buy a PS2 for it, and I know enough of Ico to know what makes that game tick. SoC, however, appears to be a rather short and combat-oriented experience. What makes it, as such, great?

There are doors

This is a game I'm waiting for. Please, oh mighty review gods, let it be me who gets to review it :rolleyes:)

Maybe you can get the 1up guy's copy. You'd just have to wipe the box with a tissue first though.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Buy it and play it, but only if you have a certain degree of patience. There is enough game there to keep you going after the wow factor wears off, oh and if you dont like death drops, this ones probably not for you.

In case the review is a bit crap, you basically have to stop a series of creatures. These creatures are huge, so huge in fact that even when your inside of them looking for the weak points they are still huge. So huge that you can ride your horse up alongside and then jump off clinging to a creature before pulling yourself up and starting the exorable trek to the top ("killing" varrious stress points along the way) and finally toppling the thing.

Dont really know much about the story beyond the big creatures have woken up and are rampaging stuff.

Probably the pretiest game currently on the PS2 as well if that sort of thing gets you going. I dont think it has the same charm and endearing qualities of Ico, but it's a better game with regards to gameplay.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I want to play this game too. Fighting against humongous creatures seems like a cool thing.

But I'll wait till the price drops.

It's going to sale at $40, you cheapo o:)

Haha, yeah, I'm somewhat cheap, I admit it. But unless I'm incredibly hyped about a game like I was with K2, then I can usually wait a few months to a year or more to play a particular game.

Can someone who will play the game fill me in on it? I'm not going to buy a PS2 for it, and I know enough of Ico to know what makes that game tick.  SoC, however, appears to be a rather short and combat-oriented experience.  What makes it, as such, great?

It's combat oriented in a way, since there are sixteen battles in the entire game, but they are puzzle solving battles, sort of like how Ico was a puzzle game with a bit of combat. Navigating the large beasts are the puzzle aspect, and fighting them is a matter of completing the puzzle and attacking various points on their massive bodies. From what I've read, and from the demo, it's not a quick experience, as getting through each colossus is a game in itself.

Just don't make it as glowing and obviously homoerotic like 1up's.

Stop screwing up my thread with your ignorance. You've stated you know squat about the game, and even commented that you've never heard of it until now. So your knowledge about the beauty of this game is equal to that of my dog, and he doesn't know much except that his toy bone is fun to chew on, and he gets in trouble if he poops in the house.

Go away.