Star Wars in 3D

kumquatq3

McCallum said that the market for 3-D movies may prove to be a catalyst to revive waning attendance numbers. "Theater owners really understand that 3-D for the first part, whether it's true or not, is the catalyst to make them understand that we really need to do something about our falling audiences," McCallum said. "I don't think that's just an issue about the quality of films. I think because of DVD, because of the access to large-screen television sets, there is a sociological change taking place in the way in which young kids are starting to see their movies."

At the same time, McCallum said that one of the companies working on 3-D technology has made enough advances that widespread distribution seems likely in the near future. "I'm very excited, because once we get to the point of maybe 2500-3000 screens, then we will start the process of working with some of the companies that are out there. One of them is called In 3 that's doing a post-production process which takes a 2-D movie and creates a 3-D which creates no eye strain. You can sit there for two hours and just the most fantastic glasses, anywhere in the theater, and we've done major tests for it." McCallum said that early tests of the Star Wars films turned out great, particularly since the resources are available to separate different visual elements of each frame.

LINK

I didn't click on the link so this'll be a bit ignorant. Is he talking about turning the current Star Wars films into 3D, or new ones (ie. the upcoming TV series)?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I dont think they mean the old style magenta/cyan glasses. I might be something along the lines of IMAX glasses which uses a diff method to convey the 3D effect.

As for the style... well you can look like that guy in Biff's gang from Back to the Future! (w00t) but seriously since you would be in a dark room with a few hundred other people wearing the glasses so what would it matter?

As for the style... well you can look like that guy in Biff's gang from Back to the Future! (w00t) but seriously since you would be in a dark room with a few hundred other people wearing the glasses so what would it matter?

Do you know many people with camera/video phones ? :p

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]