First F.E.A.R. review

kumquatq3

I hate being scared. I watched the original Japanese version of the The Grudge, titled Ju-on and couldn't sleep for days.

Of course I watched it alone at night with the lights off in my then basement like room.

Never saw the Grudge though, is it scary?

I hate being scared. I watched the original Japanese version of the The Grudge, titled Ju-on and couldn't sleep for days.

Of course I watched it alone at night with the lights off in my then basement like room.

That was the one with Buffy wasnt it ? Not very scary, then again the ring is rubbish in it's american version too.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It needs at least a 7800 gtx (or x1800) to be enjoyable, and prolly 2 gigs of ram. *sigh*

I played the demo with a 9800 Pro, 1 GB of memory, and an Athlon64 3500

Sure, I might not have been able to turn on ALL the bells and whistles, but I was still able to get pretty much the nicest graphics I had ever seen in an FPS (and probably game period) at very runnable frame rates.

I really want this game, guess I have a reason to finally get around and update my vid card (how many times have I said that now? :- )

I don't know, I lost the count :p:p

Very good game (the demo at last is very good), now it's only wait until they release the game in Europe (Spain of course it's always the last part of Europe to get the games <_< )

PRIUS FLAMMIS COMBUSTA QUAM ARMIS NUMANCIA VICTA

Guest Fishboot

I'm a little worried it will be a DVD filled with compressed stress, which I don't really want. I'm still a mess for an hour or so after playing the middle maps of Doom 3 even though I've gone through them multiple times, so I'm covered in the "games that stress me out" category.

Runs pretty damn well on my X850XT PE 256MB on all max settings....though it does tend to lag a bit when you get into big firefights.

So many sparks...so many explosions...so many chunks of people.

Joy! :D

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I still dont get where all the hype is comming from. I have no interest in this game whatsoever even though I am a veteran FPS whore

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Guest Fishboot

Well, I finally got the demo (don't know why I haven't until now) and it seems to be graphically similar to HL2 with better shadowing and more mapping effects. It ran suprisingly well on my somewhat-long-in-the-tooth machine. Gameplay-wise it seems to be an attempted cross of Doom 3, Halo (auxilliary melee and grenades - I especially liked the jump kick - and limited gun inventory) and whatever that over-the-shoulder shooter with bullet time was called. I liked the aiming button as well, I've always wanted to have toggleable lookspeeds. The AI seemed darn clever, too, executing some impressive flanking and crossfiring in the two "big" encounters, although it was probably a bit scripted a la HL1.

The "Ringu" stuff was a turnoff, though, and the ladder climbing was fugly.

Edit - Anyone else a little bewildered that they're putting out FEAR and Quake 4 on the same day? I know between those and the upcoming SiN episodes and Aftermath I'm going to get burned out on FPSes this year, so I wish they'd stretch 'em out a bit better. I would have liked one to play around June.

Edited by Fishboot

Play the demo again Fishy. Unless they outright lied the AI is probably the neatoest most innovative thing in this game. Supposedly nothing in this game is scripted except maybe a few of the cheap scares.

Also Kaftan, one word for why everyone is so excited about this:

Monolith.

Edited by Child of Flame

And here's F.E.A.R.'s second review:

LINK

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

That was the one with Buffy wasnt it ? Not very scary, then again the ring is rubbish in it's american version too.

IMO The Grudge is the scariest movie i've seen up to date (Though IMDB and many others won't agree). Haven't seen Ju-on but if its as bad as the japanese version of The Ring then i think i'll pass.

And she's not called Buffy, she's called Sarah Michelle Gellar. IMO The Ring was very scary (much more so than the Japanese version) but the sequel is a waste of time though.