Abandonware

Qazplm

I am loking for good abandonware games please make rekomdations for any good games. And please post a good faq or something on how to get those old games to work.

When it comes to abandonware RPGs, Albion and Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos both come highly recommended. Lands of Lore was one of the first games ever to make significant use of the CD format. It makes use of the format with voices by actors including Patrick Stewart.

http://www.abandonia.com/index2.php

Its my favorite abandon ware site, they have a HUGE selection of games which include almost every game that was released for DOS in the late eighties and early to mid-ninties.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

http://www.abandonia.com/index2.php

Its my favorite abandon ware site, they have a HUGE selection of games which include almost every game that was released for DOS in the late eighties and early to mid-ninties.

Welll, they have a huge selection of game listings, but still much smaller than Underdogs, and unlike The Underdogs, many of the better titles can't actually be downloaded at all, because even if the company's dead and gone and the game abandoned for a decade, it may still be judged to be under ESA protection, due to the silliness of certain *cough*EA*cough* game companies..

To download the 15-year-old Eye of the Beholder I by deceased and forgotten Westwood Studios, or 13-year-old Lands of Lore I by the same, you'd have to go to Underdogs, as Abandonia doesn't provide the game.

System Shock 2 DURRRR.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Search google for dosbox.

Yep, Dosbox is definitely a great ap for full-featured dos emulation. Or, alternatively, if you want to use Microsoft's own built in DOS VM, you can install VDMSound to improve its hardware emulation. The Windows NT/2000/XP VDM does come with sound hardware emulation, but it's somewhat lacking and can use some help.

I am loking for good abandonware games please make rekomdations for any good games. And please post a good faq or something on how to get those old games to work.

When it comes to abandonware RPGs, Albion and Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos both come highly recommended. Lands of Lore was one of the first games ever to make significant use of the CD format. It makes use of the format with voices by actors including Patrick Stewart.

Is Albion that awesome game where you can type in words in the Ask About thing?... like "Ask About youth" and the NPC will tell you about the youth of his race and stuff like that?

Adventure Games:

Monkey Island series

Indiana Jones series

Maniac Mansion

Day of the Tentacle

Leisure Suit Larry series

Kings\Space\Police Quest series

Sam and Max hit the Road

Beneath a Steel Sky

Dune

Freddy Pharkas-Frontier Pharmacist

Innocent Until Cought

Full Throttle

I have no Mouth and I must Scream

Legend of Kyrandia series

Fable

Little Big Adventure

Quest for Glory series

Return to Zork

Discworld

RPGs:

Ultima series

Albion

Darklands

Lands of Lore

Realms of Arkania

Realms of Arkania-Star Trail

Ultima Underworld 1\2

Wasteland

Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Betrayal At Krondor

Elders Scroll : Arena

System Shock

Bard's Tale series

Some are not abandonware.

Check the ISO section on frenchkiss for some other goodies.

Edited by Baley

I have been wondering abut wasteland is it any good? And thanks for the tips. Little big adventure owns i rembering playing the second one of em when i was like ten years old. fun game but like many games that i played when i was little i did not get the story.

Edited by Qazplm

Guest Fishboot
I have been wondering abut wasteland is it any good? And thanks for the tips. Little big adventure owns i rembering playing the second one of em when i was like ten years old.  fun game but like many games that i played when i was little i did not get the story.

It's good, but you really have to keep in mind the time it was made to enjoy it as a game. If you just want a game you can hop into and enjoy rather than appreciate historically it's not the best choice.

I have to agree that Lands of Lore is high quality abandonware. It's polished, it's professional, artistically it's well suited to its engine, and so on.

I'll add the "Ur-Quan Masters" fan port of Star Control II. Turn off that terrible voice, though.

• 4 weeks later...
When it comes to abandonware RPGs, Albion and Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos both come highly recommended.  Lands of Lore was one of the first games ever to make significant use of the CD format.  It makes use of the format with voices by actors including Patrick Stewart.

I followed your link and got the file for this game. For years it wasnt available on underdogs, I'm so glad it's back! Anyway, I got dosbox so that I could run it, based on everything I've read. I cant figure out how to start the game in dosbox though, because the file the underdogs provide doesnt contain any executable files. It has a lot of LOLCD.### files, but nothing I can run once I mount the directory.

Any help?

Wasteland is a fantastic game. Unfortunately it's probably almost impossible to become immersed in it for a player of today, since not even the text is incorporated into the game (space issues)! You have to download a paragraph book, and whenever the game is trying to explain something lengthy, it will refer to it with "Read paragraph XX in the book" instead of writing it out.

It's one of the best games I ever played though, but I played it in 1988 or 1989. I'm still hoping for a modern game to come along and continue the post-apocalyptic story of Wasteland.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 2 weeks later...
Adventure Games:

Monkey Island series

Indiana Jones series

Maniac Mansion

Day of the Tentacle

Leisure Suit Larry series

Kings\Space\Police Quest series

Sam and Max hit the Road

Beneath a Steel Sky

Dune

Freddy Pharkas-Frontier Pharmacist

Innocent Until Cought

Full Throttle

I have no Mouth and I must Scream

Legend of Kyrandia series

Fable

Little Big Adventure

Quest for Glory series

Return to Zork

Discworld

RPGs:

Ultima series

Albion

Darklands

Lands of Lore

Realms of Arkania

Realms of Arkania-Star Trail

Ultima Underworld 1\2

Wasteland

Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Betrayal At Krondor

Elders Scroll : Arena

System Shock

Bard's Tale series

Some are not abandonware.

Check the ISO section on frenchkiss for some other goodies.

I had forgotten about Police Quest! Geez I have spent a lot of my life playing games ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

• 2 weeks later...
If Interplay bit the bullet for good, wouldn't that make their games abadonware?

Interplay did not "bite the bullet" It was bought out by Activision, which was then swallowed up by Atari.

So that means Atari owns all of the games made under these companies:

GT Interactive

MacSoft

WizardWorks

Head Games

Activision

Infogrames

And any other companies that these have acquired.

I did some checking, and have not found the answer to this question:

Who now owns all IntraCorp and Capstone games? I am interested in working with the following games:

Witchaven

Witchaven II

William Shatner's TekWar

Fate (uncredited)

If you are guessing that these games have something in common- they do. They all use the Duke Nukem BUILD engine, utilizing a machine-compiled .CON actor/weapon script. Fate was the last game they were working on, when the head company Intracorp decided to dissolve its assets. Fate has some interesting interfaces added to the engine, it had somewhat of an adventure interface written inside it. I would love to see the source code for that game.