Words

PhantomJedi

Feel free to post a word with a definition you think is outdated, wrong, or just doesn't fit the word and needs to be reworded. Please give the origional defintion, if possible the dictionary one, the new definiton, and if you feel like it an explanation why it should be changed.

You know for some weird unexplainable reason I see this thread going down hill and eventually being closed. Why I started it I don't know. But then again I do like watching things crash and burn.

Edited by PhantomJedi

Geek - A person of intelligence, usually having a particular area of interest or expertise, who also has a social life and can relate to others adequately in normal society. A Nerd with non-nerd friends.

Nerd - A person of intelligence, usually having a particular area of interest or expertise, who has little to no social life, or cannot relate to others adequately in normal society. (For example, people obsessed with Star Trek who can only talk about star trek with any degree of confidence and have only other Trekkies for friends). An intelligent dork.

Dork - A Person of little to average intelligence, who has little to no social life, or cannot relate to others adequately in normal society. That wierdo that always stood in the corner on his own in the playground.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

The definitions are not absolute as in people can fall into overlaps and carry traits of more than one definition. Also a dork can be confused for a nerd as they often have similar interests.

Also there are other divisions that cut across the geek/nerd/dork boundaries this is usually indicated by genre of hobby e.g. Sci-fi/tech geek vs fantasy crap geek.

hmmm... yes this is an area ripe for anthropological study.

Edited by Surreptishus

Nerd - A person who is going to get thier face pounded in, by me.

Dork - Ready for round two? You get it twice as hard, for making a prom date and bringing it to prom.

Geek - It's clobbering time!

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Geek - A person of intelligence, usually having a particular area of interest or expertise, who also has a social life and can relate to others adequately in normal society.  A Nerd with non-nerd friends.

Nerd - A person of intelligence, usually having a particular area of interest or expertise, who has little to no social life, or cannot relate to others adequately in normal society.  (For example, people obsessed with Star Trek who can only talk about star trek with any degree of confidence and have only other Trekkies for friends).  An intelligent dork.

Dork - A Person of little to average intelligence, who has little to no social life, or cannot relate to others adequately in normal society.  That wierdo that always stood in the corner on his own in the playground.

Sounds about like my defininitions, with a few slight variations.

Dork - A person of little to average intelligence, who has little social life outside of kind geeks who keep them around because they're nice. Because of this, they tend to think of themselves as nerds.

Outcast - Includes two groups. The first are the weirdos that are banished to their own dusty corner of the lunchroom (the middle school kids that still play imaginary DBZ playgrounds), but often earn the friendship of a few geeks. The second group are the pompous, two faced suckups that cling to a group (usually either geeks or preps) and demand inclusion, then declare them mortal enemies when they're shot down.

sig2.gif

Geeks and Goths are groups of outcasts from other groups. They do not limit membership, they just hang around with tolerant, meritocratically chosen, similar-thinking people to themselves, whatever that may entail.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Geeks and Goths are groups of outcasts from other groups. They do not limit membership, they just hang around with tolerant, meritocratically chosen, similar-thinking people to themselves, whatever that may entail.

Exactly!

...What did I say?

sig2.gif

These social groups have always seemed rather stange to me. At my school, we just had two groups. Neds and "Moshers" (well, non-scots tended to form little cliques along national lines that for the most part ignored each other, though second and third generation immigrants were almost universally moshers).

Neds were, I suppose, the Scottish equivalent of the Jocks and Cheerleaders. Except that instead of their parents being rich, they were poor. And instead of being popular, they were despised by everyone who wasn't in their (admittedly large) group. And instead of being mean bullies and rude girls, they were common criminals in the making and utterly horrible people. And were all obsessed with rap music. And usually not attractive to anyone other than Neanderthal Man, from whom they were all likely descended.

"Moshers" were, basically, everyone else. I put the term in inverted commas because this label was applied by the neds, who seemed to believe that we all listened to nu-metal and moshed. Everyone in the spectrum had a broad circle of friends that was usually both cross-cultural and cross-subcultural, but you would happily be accepted in any group without any great stigma of coming from another group. Thus, there was no actual line between geeks, moshers, goths, skaters, etc., so those sorts of social groupings as actual social barriers strike me as patently odd. I suppose you could count us all as outcasts, but we were about half the school's population, so I don't think it fits.

Incidentally, this intensely social arrangement forced everyone to develop social skills, keeping nerds as I defined them down to an absolute minimum.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Thats it, you nerds are fishing for a knuckle Sandwich!

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Oh, you want one too? Thats fine, there is plenty to go around, I made lots. One might even go as far as to say I made a whole fist full!

Haw, haw, haw.