I miss the old days here

Darth Jebus

I just wanted to say I miss the old days from a couple years ago (I lurked here before I registered here) when the company was brand new and they announced KOTOR 2. I miss all the speculation and the excitement that title generated. I miss reading anxiously every scrap of information that became available. It was alot of fun to come here and hang out and just talk about KOTOR. Remember how we all looked forward daily to coming here and contributing to the community? Well, most of us anyway.

And I'm not necessarily talking about KOTOR/KOTOR 2, I just mean the feeling that was generated by the initial announcement and how all RPG fans, whether they were Star Wars fans or not, were excited because it was OE's first game and it was the sequel to one of the best RPGs ever made (I know that part is arguable :ermm: ) But those days were fun and I met alot cool people on here.

Nowadays, though, I hardly ever post here because there is nothing to talk about in terms of what OE is doing. Project New Jersey is under tighter control than a NOC list and has been ever since it was announced. You can see the cobwebs forming all over the NJ forums. And the only place to go to for anything even remotely interesting is this section where everyone comes to talk about what everyone else is doing.

I know this will change when the title to NJ is finally announced, but it just made me reflect a little bit on the "good ol days".

It's because Atari moved the NWN2 forums over to the BioWare forums. So even though Obsidian currently has a game in development we could talk about, it's not here.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I just wanted to say I miss the old days from a couple years ago (I lurked here before I registered here) when the company was brand new and they announced KOTOR 2.  I miss all the speculation and the excitement that title generated.  I miss reading anxiously every scrap of information that became available.  It was alot of fun to come here and hang out and just talk about KOTOR.  Remember how we all looked forward daily to coming here and contributing to the community?  Well, most of us anyway.

And I'm not necessarily talking about KOTOR/KOTOR 2, I just mean the feeling that was generated by the initial announcement and how all RPG fans, whether they were Star Wars fans or not, were excited because it was OE's first game and it was the sequel to one of the best RPGs ever made (I know that part is arguable  :luck: )  But those days were fun and I met alot cool people on here.

Nowadays,  though, I hardly ever post here because there is nothing to talk about in terms of what OE is doing.  Project New Jersey is under tighter control than a NOC list and has been ever since it was announced.  You can see the cobwebs forming all over the NJ forums.  And the only place to go to for anything even remotely interesting is this section where everyone comes to talk about what everyone else is doing.

I know this will change when the title to NJ is finally announced, but it just made me reflect a little bit on the "good ol days".

100% agreed. i maybe post once every 2 months now.... :ermm:

i remember how excited i was when kotor2 was announced and coming 2 this site everyday. Then when they added up the kotor3 suggestions, i felt it come back...but now my doubts are rising for kotor3's fate.

I hear what you are saying but then I would rather them keep the forums open than shut them down.

I really don't think it can be denied that there is some quality posting on these boards. I've looked at other boards out there and this is where I choose to post and read posts. There is a reason for that.

It's because Atari moved the NWN2 forums over to the BioWare forums.  So even though Obsidian currently has a game in development we could talk about, it's not here.

I hate the Bioware forums. They should discuss the game on the forums in which the company is making them. Not where the previous game was made. Following that inane logic the KotOR 2 forums should be moved to Bioware as well.

It's because Atari moved the NWN2 forums over to the BioWare forums.  So even though Obsidian currently has a game in development we could talk about, it's not here.

I hate the Bioware forums. They should discuss the game on the forums in which the company is making them. Not where the previous game was made. Following that inane logic the KotOR 2 forums should be moved to Bioware as well.

Shush, they're listening! Don't give them ideas... :ph34r:

sig2.gif

The one thing that redeems the Bio boards is the fact that Dave G. posts so damn much on it. I like to see that kind of dialogue between devs and players, especially since he doesn't pull any PR punches when it comes to identifying stupidity, even in his own company.

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

Eh, I don't think that's true. DG has actually crafted some very good characters for BG II and HOTU, and arguably KOTOR though KOTOR is not my sort of game. Simply compare games he's majorly involved in (HOTU, BG II/TOB, KOTOR) versus games he's not (SoU, Jade Empire, possibly NWN OC though I've no idea who exactly was involved in making that POS, though I do know Aribeth was not DG's character) and you see that his influence tends to be a good one, even if it's not as revolutionary as something MCA might do.

But all that aside his honesty is what I like about him. Yes, he's a tad arrogant at times, but this is the guy who cared so much about Baldur's Gate II that he released - on his own time - the entire Ascension mod in order to tell the story he couldn't do in ToB. This is the guy who wrote Revan fanfics in order to extend the endings he couldn't do in KOTOR, and who posts more messages in a day than even Volourn sometimes. You can argue other things, even that he does what he does because he's full of himself, but ultimately you can't argue that DG is not passionate about what he does or that he's not willing to go beyond what's necessary to accomplish his vision.

That's what makes a great game developer, even if you don't always like what he develops.

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

Regardless of Bioware, there's really not going to be all that much to do on these boards until K3 is announced (assuming it ever will be). So mostly it's just going to be us helping out n00bs, posting fanart, or posting K3 suggestions. All I can say is thank god for the WOT section.