Unfortunately, games aren't for nerds anymore

Ginthaeriel

Gothic III is a highly anticipated crpg...

Aahh! Stop it! I liked it better when I was the only one who had even heard of the Gothic games :o

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Gothic III is a highly anticipated crpg...

Aahh! Stop it! I liked it better when I was the only one who had even heard of the Gothic games :o

I've really got to play one of them sometime. I played a German demo once but the controls were fiddly to say the least.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Isn't Gothic a 1st person view?  I know I'm limiting myself, but I can't get into FPRPGs.  I had to play pretty much all of Vampires in 3rd person view.

Well.. It is possible to play Gothic in first person view.. if you enjoy being seasick.

So no, Gothic & Gothic 2 are mainly played in third person view. That's the default and the games were designed for third person.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Isn't Gothic a 1st person view?  I know I'm limiting myself, but I can't get into FPRPGs.  I had to play pretty much all of Vampires in 3rd person view.

Same here. Ever since I tried my hand on the Might and Magic series, the first person view has always seemed awkward. Especially if the game is party based.

So you weren't a fan of the KotOR series, then?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Those were aspect of JE and PST I hated to tell the truth.

I want my character to be able to use any weapon and any armor that he has training with and can get training to use any armor or weapon if he so chooses.

Radiata Stories for the PS2 - you can use a one-handed sword, two-handed sword, an axe, or a spear, with diff learnable skills for each weapon. Plus armour all has it's own distinct look.

Unfortunately, it's an action RPG, and I'm pretty sure you don't like those. But honestly, I had a lot of fun with that game. There's like over 100 different people you can have join you (though none of them really have any personality), and there's a split in the main story that changes the game dramatically (you choose which side to fight for).

Same here. Ever since I tried my hand on the Might and Magic series, the first person view has always seemed awkward. Especially if the game is party based.

So you weren't a fan of the KotOR series, then?

Kotor wasn't strictly first person view. It was 3rd person over the shoulder. I can handle that since it affords me a view of my character and party members. Plus the camera allowed me to view the action from a hortizontal 360 angle which helped somewhat.

I was talking about strictly first person view. It might help immersion in RPG games but I think it hinders combat.

Well.. It is possible to play Gothic in first person view.. if you enjoy being seasick.

So no, Gothic & Gothic 2 are mainly played in third person view. That's the default and the games were designed for third person.

Really? Damn maybe I'll pick them up. Or are they not available in Canada? :ermm:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

So basically what you guys are saying is you didn't like the first person in Bloodlines? 

Man, it was cool what with the gun all swaying around and stuff.

Hades hasn't even played so I don't think he's saying much (other than having learnt his lesson and never touching a Troika game again).

I on the other hand loved the First Person view in Bloodlines and think it added a lot to the atmosphere in the game. But it's got to be a non-party based game if it's going to be a RPG. If I have a party I want to be able to see all my characters at the same time.

[rant]

4. Nope. Disagree completely. I played all those games. Doesn't follow that I want to play twitch games. Poor logic.

And when did you play them? Did you play them when you were five? That seems really unlikely given that you were born in 1969 (according to your profile), while Sonic the Hedgehog for Genesis was released in 1991, and Super Mario Bros. 1 was released in 1981. I don

Edited by grayjo

So basically what you guys are saying is you didn't like the first person in Bloodlines? 

Man, it was cool what with the gun all swaying around and stuff.

I preferred the third person view. I occasionally used first person view to see how the guns work.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Hell, if kotor had a realtime combat mode it would have sold better, just because some people like that kind of stuff.

But unfortunatly, doing this would probably involve the work of two computer games, an would be inefficient...

Actually, reading the developers' diary (regarding NWN2, I think it was, republished on No MUTANTS Allowed and linked here by one of the devs), the Turn-based game mechanic is much more complex than real-time; eliminating turn-based action simplifies the development process markedly.

Also, cRPGs are definetly not dead, not as long as Bioware is still around.

True enough: from the NWN2 review in the December issue of PC Gamer (as quoted on NWN2 News site: "Views can be classic overhead or 3rd person view."

So much for the death of RPGs. :p

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Actually, reading the developers' diary (regarding NWN2, I think it was, republished on No MUTANTS Allowed and linked here by one of the devs), the Turn-based game mechanic is much more complex than real-time; eliminating turn-based action simplifies the development process markedly.

yea, sorry, grammatical error. When i said it would take the work of two computer games, i meant a succesful FPS/RPG hybrid that fully allowed you to go on a FPS rampage if that is what you really want, but is not required. Adding "shootemup" as a RPG playing style, like stealth, magistry and diplomacy would take more effort, unless it comprimised the integrity of the other styles or the story. And that isn't good

Edited by grayjo