Wacom Tablets

Ive been using a Wacom Graphire A6 for nearly a year now and its a good tablet but as Im now studying game design on Uni I need a better tablet(for working in Painter IX mostly)

Im going to get a Wacom Intuous of some kind and the choice is between the fullsize A4 or the smaller but cheaper A5.

I want to be able to draw properly with the new tablet and the tiny A6 makes it impossible because one tiny line on the tablet becomes a huge scratch on the screen. I have the impression that the bigger the tablet, the closer tablet-to-creen ratio I would get and that would make it easier. But the others in my class says the A4 is too large and that the size of the tablet doesnt really make a differance anyway. Are they right?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Do you think that an A4 would be too large for a 17" ?

Ive "cross-graded" from a 21" CRT to a 17" TFT monitor so maybe the A5 would be right for me too? My laptop will have a 15" screen so that should be even better.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I can't comment myself how an A4 "feels" with a 17", but when I was myself struggling with the question "A5 or A4", I did some investigations on various art communities for some feedback, and most people concluded that the A4 is a bit too large for most cases. Which was a welcome confirmation since I wasn't willing to throw away so much money for an A4 anyway. ;)

I'm now used to work with an A5 and Painter as well, and most images I'm doing with 3000x3000 pix (make sure you've enough system memory), and I'm super fine with it - so no complains at all.

However, maybe you know someone where you could try out various sizes - that would be ideal.

I talked to one of the guys in my class(who is the graphics line same as me) and he spoke so warmly of the A4 that Im yet again sitting with my finger on the "order" button.

Morgoth is correct, although at work I use Intous2 A5 and it works just great. I'm more comfortable with the A5 actually. (I've got an Intous1 A4 at home, and sometimes it feels a bit too big... sorta like working on a huge canvas :-

Anyway, if money's an issue go A5... I've never felt that it's too small.

Oh, and Painter IX kicks ass!.. all the little stuff makes it so much better than Painter 8.

It is done. A Wacom Intuos3 A4 for me :x

Yeah, Painter IX is friggin' awesome. Ive got a huge advantage since Im pretty much the only one at Uni who uses it, the rest (inlcuding the teachers) are stuck trying to use PS which is garbage in comparison.

Yeah, Painter IX is friggin' awesome. Ive got a huge advantage since Im pretty much the only one at Uni who uses it, the rest (inlcuding the teachers) are stuck trying to use PS which is garbage in comparison.

Not necessarily true. The lack of editing tools makes Painter inferior. I've seen Concept Artists in the film industry who use PS only. I.e. Ian McCaig or James Clyne (from some Gnomon Workshop DVD's). The result was of course awesome. PS basically only has one drawing tool (Airbrush type) with lots of options, whereas Painter uses different Brushes that are derived from traditional painting tools, where you really can draw pictures that look like they were drawn traditionally. Like this Ballerina I've drawn some time ago, something I couldn't achieve with Photoshop's brushes.

The rotateable Canvas is also a huge plus. But else Painter sucks in terms of editing possibilities.

Anyway, with both tools there're awesome results achievable, depending on the artist's skill and what he/she is more pleasant to work with. I suppose you try to work hard with both and then choose which you like more.

I like to use both, Painter to paint the image and then PS to edit it.

Yeah, the product name "Painter" really says it all. I still have no idea how, or IF you can merge two layers in it... and stuff like that.

But for Orgasmic Wacom Joy, it's The Tool. It takes more advantage of pen tilt and rotation than Photoshop as well (since you don't really need pen tilt and rotation in a program that is designed to be more of an image-editing and design tool, I suppose).

Anyway, just wanted to congratulate you on going "pro" ;P

(Seriously though, you can actually feel the difference between intuos and graphire)

I cant wait until its here! Im actually far more excited about the Wacom than getting a shiny new laptop ;)

And merging layers is called "drop" in Painter, you can access it under the layers menu or use the icons on the layers popup-thingie. I suppose Adobe must have registered "merge layers", hence the confusing name.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Intuos3 A4 yesterday and I am very glad I bought it, its wonderful! ..and HUGE! But the feeling just doesnt compare to my old tablet, its like going from a Fiat to a Ferrari

I can draw and paint just aswell as if i was actually using a real pen/brush.

• 3 weeks later...

hatman.png

This is a character concept sketch I did for University, Its 100% digital using just Corel Painter IX and my wacom tablet.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been put as Lead artist on this game project so Im doing a lot of fun and les-fun work right now. This piece of landscape came out very nicely ( 100% handmade, no reference photos used )

conceptbeach2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

perspective.jpg

30min random frame. Still nowhere near proffessional grade work but Im learning new tricks. And Ive still got 2

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone used the Wacom tablets with anything other than Photoshop or Painter? I understand that not all of them work with with Illustrator, and I need to do not only Photoshop, but Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver, and Fireworks... not to mention Acrobat.

Intuos3 gives you the power to quickly and professionally edit photos and create digital artwork by turning on the full power of Adobe

Why would you want to use the 6X11? Its just a an A4 where theyve cut away 3" from the top and bottom. Its much better to get a full A4 because you can set that to be mapped with the widescreen monitor and it will work exactly the same except that you can use the full surface when youre on a regular monitor... oh, I just looked at the pricetag, I get it now :ermm:

The Intuos3(and probably all wacom tablets) works perfectly with Adobe CS2/PS9 and older versions. It works fine with vectorbased graphic programs like Flash or Illustrator although they dont automaticly react to pressure(making the brush larger the harder you press f.ex) I doubt they do that with any brand of tablet.

Wacom is the most popular brand of tablets and they should work with all programs. The LEAST possible functionality you can get is using the pen as a mouse as long as youre using windows or MacOS, so you cant fail.

My mistake. I just did a bit of googling and all wacom tablets are apparently 100% compatible with Illustrator and they do make full use of pressure, tilt, speed and so on.

And they do work in Flash MX too, it just isnt enabled by default.

But vector graphics.. yesch! Begone!