Arx Fatalis

Azure79

I was looking around the net for any interesting RPGs I missed and Arx Fatalis came up. I'm in a RPG gaming slump right now. I want to play something deep and engaging with a great story.

So has anyone played Arx Fatalis? What are your thoughts?

It's a bit similiar to Ultima Underworld. Controls are a little fiddly, interested spell system where you draw a symbol on screen with the mouse. But you can also store upto 3 for quick release. Sort of a survivalish vibe, at least to start with.

It's not bad if your looking for something to play.The plot is kind of typical and easy to see through, but the game itself isnt too bad.

Should keep you occupied for a weekend to week at least.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It's an interesting game. It was originally started as an Ultima Underworld followup but they never got the licensing so they developed it as an original title with obvious influences. I loved the world and atmosphere (one area ranks with the scariest ever) and the action combat is fair. I liked little things like fishing and baking pies. There's quite a few fairly difficult puzzles if you like that sort of thing. On the other hand, it's pretty linear and there's no real dialogue (it's pre-canned - no choices).

I agree with Dhruin on most points, although I must lo the amazing claustrophobia and atmosphere some levels are filled with. I think that's one of Arx's strongest points. Go play it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I really tried playing this game, as it came out in the backwater of Gothic (sort of), but I could never really get into it. I think I still have the CD's lying around somewhere. I'm in a gaming slump myself right now (except for the review games I have to play) and Arx Fatalis should suit my tastes. I think.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I loved the puzzles too. Quite logical fare there. Especially the detective work Am Shaegar(the protagonist) has to make at one point.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Godspeed, then. And don't come back, hater. o:)

kirottu said: