Doom film

metadigital

Doom: the motion picture

Demonic lashings of movie goodness. Oh, and 'The Rock'

Outsourcing. That's the word we'd use to sum up Id's activities at the moment. Out-sourcing because, as Carmack recently announced at Quakecon, the Quake III engine source code is now freely available to download. When you consider that games like Call of Duty are built on that code you can see the potential for would-be devs on a budget. Outsourcing because the Doom licence has been offered up to the Gods of Hollywood and the movile is due in cinemas on 21st October.

H IS FOR HELL

Contrary to internet opinion the film is staying faithful to the game storyline. They ARE on Mars, there WILL be demons, and while edgy US PRs are relictant to use the H word, but [sic passim] fiery netherworlds aregoing to feature. The question is, how well will the feel of the game translate? We spoke to the movie's special effects director John Farhat and asked him. "Thirty two million people are expecting a very specific thing from the movie; I gotta say it was a real task. But you know there's so much in there for gamers to recognise"[sic] he says. He's right, too. The trailer has sparked off some excited debate, especially surrounding the first person sequence where viewers are treated to a live action remake of Doom, shot from the FPS perspective. "That sequence is a five minute continuous shot." says Farhat "We worked for three months just to get that right. You know, film screen ratios are long and skinny, so even working out exactly how the gun fits in there was a challenge. I had people like Tom [McAdams, ex-SAS officer and on-set military advisor] help me get the blocking right, so there's a lot of authenticity in there, both from a gaming point of view and a real world one."

So that's real world authenticity in a film based on a game set on Mars during a demon invasion. Can't wait to see them pull that off ...

PC Format, Issue 180, November 2005, p20.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Fortunately I think 'The Rock' is taking the role of the Sergeant, and not the main protagonist, too. (This will help raise the ambient acting level immeasurably.)

It'll be a nice comfortable film for those old gamers who played Doom, much like the recent trend in Hollywood to cash in on old television series with varying degrees of faithfullness and talent.

Could be a fun way to spend a couple of hours, though. I hope.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

:p

Short term memory loss methinks.

On-topic: I'm definatly hoping that it will have some elements from the games kept in it, like the lights going off at random stages, and shock tactics like bodies and such flying out in front of the camera. If its just all action i will be quite disappointed.

H....how do you know what that smells like? :o

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Doom movie, Halo movie....

What's next?

Half-Life????

Sarcraft???????????????

KotOR???????????????????????????????????????????????

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

Well, Oddworld Inhabitants(the devs) have stopped making games altogether and their new carieer choice is animations, so your dream might come to fruition very soon. :-

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds