Quake IV

metadigital

^Which is a hell of a lot more interesting than anything Raven, the kings of mediocre, can make up.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I don't mean I won't play IV, I'm just not that hyped about Ravenware. :D

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Yeah, well there's not much else going on at the moment, so I am on the excited side of indifference. Also, the previous incarnations were killers (even though I didn't play III much). :-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ehrmm, surely they have Reznor? To insure the mood.

kirottu said:

Post more meta.  :-

Please?

326348ps.gif

Earth is under siege by an alien race. The Strogg are cybernetic warriors--a mechanical frame and decaying body parts stabilized by flesh consumed in a systematic annihilation of other species and civilizations. In a desperate attempt to survive a Strogg attack on Earth, an armada of Earth's finest warriors is sent to take the battle to the Strogg home planet. Earth's initial assault force is nearly annihilated immediately, but one marine manages to infiltrate the base, bring down their planetary defense systems, and kill the Strogg's collective brain and leader--the Makron. Earth assumed the destruction of the Makron would end it all, but it didn't.

That's where Quake II leaves off and Quake 4 begins.

The Strogg are quickly regrouping. However, with the Strogg

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I read a preview for this last year.

It sounds like this time they've used the Doom 3 engine to make some large topside worlds, and the screenshots looked really nice, even back then.

Also, halfway through the game or so, you get captured and taken to the Strogg 'manufacturing line, where you get turned partway into a Strogg, but are rescued before being made part of the overmind.

kirottu said:

I want Half-Life 2 lighting with Doom 3 shadows in one game. :(

The "unified lighting and shadowing" part of the engine is capable of much more advanced light effects than Hl2, it will be very interesting to see what they did with the outdoors areas in Q4..

*imgination runs off*

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Had a lot of fun playing Quake II years ago. I'd be stoked about this if I had a PC that could run the game.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Here is the check for system resources:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/refer..._option_id=2046

There are some problems with it, and you need to permit pop-ups for the site to let the ActiveX plug-in run (it's verified by Verisign as valid).

My SPI hardware firewall wouldn't let it through, however (or was it my Norton Personal firewall). Anyways, I didn't think it was worth it to re-configure my firewalls, so I don't know what my system is rated at, but others have reported inconsistent results.

If you can run Doom 3 and / or Half-Life 2 then you won't have a problem, though, as it runs on the Doom 3 engine.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

But there is a big warning; you might be able to run the game without normalmaps on a low-end computer but since the graphics rely on normalmapping to such a huge extent, youll miss everything.

Its like some brainiac I met:

-I didnt think Doom3 looked anything special.

-No?

-Nah, pretty low-poly too.. Hl2 pwns it

-Do you have normalmaps swicthed off?

-Yeah, why?

-Gah.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Had a lot of fun playing Quake II years ago. I'd be stoked about this if I had a PC that could run the game.

IIRC Quake II required more from the pc, relative to the time, than Doom 3 ever did. (E.g. it was the first game with bloom effects, afaik.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I just heard that Quake 4 got a devastatingly 70% in the newest PC GAMER Issue.

Final Verdict:

Highs - Loads of action; gruesome visuals; Q3DM17 with Doom 3 graphics

Lows - Uninspired gameplay; Stroggification plot twist goes nowhere; no multiplayer bots.

Bottom line - This old-school shooter suffers from a lack of 21st-century game design.

LOL. That's the reason why old-school devs suck. A franchise alone doesn't make a game good.

Yup, it was the same with Q3.. I dont think I made it longer than 1/3rd before I got too bored to keep playing. I read that ID didnt initially want to make D3 but the popularity of Wolfenstein made them change their minds and so they added a game to the engine :rolleyes:

just for no reason at all:

d3normapex.jpg

So "normal maps" is some sort of "High" Definition Rendering?

I read that the HDR of Half-Life 2's Lost Coast is more Medium than High. Sounds fairly plausible, considering that it is software generated, like the earliest 3d rendering was done by the CPU before Voodoo cards were widespread ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

WOAH! Metadigital, I tried the system requirement check. I have a 6800GT 256MB and i only had 3 out of the 6 bars filled, thats BS.... <_<

<:grumble-grumble:>

EDIT: I went to reccomended system requirement check and got 5 out of six this time!

Skipping away! lalala :)

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig