Sorry to be repetitive, but...

I just got myself a copy of KotOR II after loving the first game, only to have the game crash right after character creation. I'm using an Intel 915G graphics card, which the Troubleshooting Guide says should be compatible, but yet it's not working.

(The Troubleshooting Guide actually says that this can happen with that graphics card... but the only advice it gives is to download the patch, which didn't help)

I've tried turning down the resolution, disabling the shadows and all that, turning off the sound, turning off the movies, and none of that has helped.

Has anyone experienced this with the intel graphics card? Any help would be appreciated greatly.

The 1.0B patch is necessary for the i915 chipset, but you have that. Hmmm...

How much memory do you have?

Have you tried updating your graphics driver to the latest version?

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.

Not to sure what the problem is here (turning off the movies would be the next step, but you've already tried that).

Do you use the Nero CD/DVD burning software? If so, there is a post about it causing this sort of crash on the lucasarts forums, here, together with an unpleasant workaround.

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.

Sweet! I do indeed use software of that ilk. I checked out the LucasArts page, found the file and changed it; hopefully that'll solve my problem. Reinstalling now...

If it doesn't, this'll be like the sixth or seventh time I've installed KotOR II... grrrr.

Gutted, it didn't work.  I think what I really need is a new graphics card... but I really don't want to shell out the money for that.

Unless anyone has any other ideas, that is...?

just to ask a few things

do you have the latest graphic driver?

do you have 1.0b installed?

crashing after creation occurs in 1.0 version, with 1.0b there should be no problem.

the annoying thing is...this game is so bugged that a new graphic card will not guarantee to work!

the annoying thing is...this game is so bugged that a new graphic card will not guarantee to work!

That's highly unlikely...unless you buy like an old card or something. Even an X300 should be fine, although really that card is a disgrace to buy. I'm broke so I wouldn't be able to buy a new card if I was in your position, but if you can, just ask yourself how many games you have trouble with. A new graphics card will certainly help all games, but if it's only K2 you have trouble with then I wouldn't spend money - again though, I don't have that choice at all.

I too noticed i915 support when the patch came out but by then I had just upgraded my graphics card.

Did you try that weird suggested work around where you go to the Intel options and change this weird mode from Flip to Blit, or something like that (it's on the Intel page).

Edited by dufflover

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)