Buying a Laptop

Kaftan Barlast

As of a month ago, I am as you might know a student of Game Design & Graphics at University. For this education you need a laptop and since the school no longer provides you with the opportunity to rent one, we have to buy or rent our own.

This is strange new territory for me, I know very little of mobile technology and hardware and I would appreciate very much if anyone could warn me of the worst pitfalls.

The idea of making 3D graphics on a laptop computer is insane, but that is what we're going to have to do. As such, we need high-performance stuff. I found one online that seemed very good for the price. (1gig of ram seems VERY useful)

Acer Aspire 5024WLMi

Turion 64 ML-34 1.8 GHz - 15.4" TFT

AMD mobil Turion 64-teknik ML-34 1.8 GHz

1024mb DDR SDRAM (2 x 512 MB)

15.4" TFT aktiv matris WXGA (1280 x 800) - 24 bitar (16,7 miljoner f

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Dell is not an option, they told me that for what I was going to use it for, they didnt have anything under 2100

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But what did you think of the one I found? The Acer?

..and I cant buy a Mac, although the programs we use are available for Mac, it could prove very difficult to get hold of a copy since the university use only PC

Anyway I just heard a lot of guys at school have bought Acer 5024WLMi and they say you cant get more bang for your buck so I think its going to be that one.

I cant wait and I cant afford it :D Dell offers a Laptop with a 7800 but its around 2500

A friend of the family is buying a laptop for work. Has to be ultra ultra reliable, but not too fancy. Although it will become a legacy system in his household, so has to not fall over in a year's time when doing 'classic' games and so on. What should he buy? try to aim around 600-800 quid.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A friend of the family is buying a laptop for work. Has to be ultra ultra reliable, but not too fancy. Although it will become a legacy system in his household, so has to not fall over in a year's time when doing 'classic' games and so on. What should he buy? try to aim around 600-800 quid.

Well, if he's looking to have a laptop that won't be totally outdated he's looking at the wrong type of computer, depending on what he actually wants to do with it before it falls over.

Laptops have very limited upgradeability, so you can expect to buy a new one fairly often, generally speaking.

Everytime someone asks me for advice on laptops I recommend Acer to them. So far noone has been disappointed. They're really good value for your money.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I completely agree, o child o'flame. But he is not you, and he is not I. he is a bit of a techno-yokel and he wants a legacy laptop. I have been through the whole "You should buy a desktop. You never take the damn thing anywhere" business, without success.

I will try recommending him an Acer. Never heard of them over here, tho.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, he's welcome to buy a laptop, but it'll be outdated and dead-ended a lot sooner than a desktop will.

Even when a new platform standard comes out you can usually salvage things like the optical drives, power supply, RAM, and case/fans when you have to replace everything else, the only thing you'd really be able to salvage is the HDD, as they've been the same shape for awhile now.

I recommend making a poll on a techie forum, letting the results flow in, and showing him the poll and telling him that you're not the only person who thinks he'd be better off with a desktop.

Failing that, recommend Acer or somesuch.

I think it woudl be easier all round if I just refuse to assist him in gettinga laptop and tell him he should get a desktop with a wireless keyboard and mouse if he is so pernickety about typing on his lap.

-Elwood Blues